Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too warm?

Too warm?

I see alot on here about being cold and picking out the perfect bottom quilt. Has anyone ever over shot this? Like you buy your first UQ and worry about staying warm, but you are too warm? I would assume you can just move it to the side or loosen the suspension a bit to allow air flow? I know that these ratings can be subjective, but I don't want to spend a boat load of money to get my trail and error on.

I would imagine the answer is Yes, you can go too warm. I had this problem with sleeping bags in the past. You could try to get more air moving around you as you suggested. Warmer equipment is generally bulkier or heavier, so eventually it might be worth investing in some summer gear and separate winter gear. That way you aren't hauling all the excess weight.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Under insulation is less critical to get right. It's kinda like your bed. The area under you rarely changes but the top quilts change from season to season. I only have two under quilts - a 0° and a 20° (rated as a 3 season). I have several top quilts but believe I could get by with just 3, a 0°, a 20°, and a 50° summer quilt.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG CF/doors
    Insulation
    UGQZeppelin/Bandit
    Suspension
    Huggers/Mule Tape
    I completely agree with TrailSlug on this one. I can use my 0 degree in 50-60 degree weather and be just fine, if I get a little hot, I just loosed up the suspension slightly to allow a little ventilation. Top quilts aren't quite so forgiving, if it's 50, a 20 degree quilt is very warm.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG / EE
    No, I've never had a problem with an UQ being too warm. I've used my 0* in temps up to 45 and my 20* in temps up to 70 and never felt too warm. Maybe a little warm but not uncomfortable. I think, as you mentioned, you can just move it to the side or take it off if it's too warm but honestly, it would probably have to be in the 70s (I never see nights in the 70s where I sleep) for it to be uncomfortable.

I think it's possible to be too conservative when it comes to length though, just in terms of having it heavier and bulkier than needed. For example, I use a 0* full length underquilt for temps freezing and below. I use a 20* partial length when it's above freezing. Obviously HYOH but I've had a full length warmer-weather UQ and it was overkill. I find I only need a full length once it gets below freezing.

I find, along with others on this forum, that top quilts are easier to vent. They're also easier to overheat in. I try to have my UQ rated a little lower than the expected low (low expected 30*, bringing the 20*; low expected to be 20*, bringing the 0*). The TQ doesn't matter as much because you can just wear extra clothes on top, like a puffy.

Images
    Nope. I just use 20* UQ year round.

The only reason why you would want a lighter UQ is to reduce weight and bulk, not to cool off.

Hammock
    Burlap sack in a soft taupe
    Tarp
    Handstiched leaves
    Insulation
    Newspaper
    Suspension
    Barbed wire
    Quote Originally Posted by DogFace View Post
    ... I know that these ratings can be subjective, but I don't want to spend a boat load of money to get my trail and error on.
    I hear ya Dogface. I am in a similar situation. Getting ready for a backpacking trip to Linville Gorge in a couple of weeks and have only done "warmer" hammock campings. The weather there can change rapidly, so do I travel light and freeze at night or over pack possibly being "too warm"? I have a 0 degree kelty sleeping bag and am considering the HG 20 incubator but am worried about that being overkill. Never tried it before and it's a big investment. I've always just used a light sleeping bag and an old thermarest. I wish I could sleep out in the hammock before the trip and try to duplicate the weather conditions but that's unlikely.

Thank you. All of your replies make alot of sense and ease my anxiety about making a good purchase

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL & 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB SF, WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    First, welcome aboard! There's so much to learn and this is the place do just that. There's lots of very experienced hammock folk on here that are more than willing to help. Quilts are like a lot of other things in our hobby....personal preference. You were correct about the situation where your under quilt is too warm. You can either loosen the tension to allow some air gaps between your quilt and hammock or you can slide the UQ to one side until needed.
    Try to decide what temperatures you will be hanging in on most of your outings. Then get at least an under quilt that is rated appropriately to cover the lowest temps you plan on hanging in. You can use a sleeping bag for a top quilt until you are able to get one. I would get a top quilt too with the same rating as soon as I was able. Then if you decide you are going to hang in different seasons you can buy quilts rated for those temperature ranges. Check out Hammock Gear's website and the other vendors here on HF for about anything you might want or need. There's always used quilts that come up for sale in the buy/sell board on here. Check that out as a possibility. Quilts seem to hold a lot of their value especially if they are fairly new clean and have been taken care of. There's a good chance of selling your used gear as well should you decide that you have some gear you no longer want.
    Take it slow, do your research first, not after you buy something. Find some other hangers near you or go to a group hang to see and perhaps try out a piece of gear. Most folks will be more than happy to offer advice and help others. Also watch all of the videos that you can about hammocking on you-tube, especially those from Shug at sector seven. Good luck on your adventures. HH
    Hello from Lookout Mountain in N.E. Alabama,home of Little River Canyon National Preserve- The deepest gorge East of the Mississippi.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    I agree with all here... UQ insulation operates much differently and tends to be one of the biggest sources of frustration for many.

Buy once, cry once as they say. Unless you live in Florida; few people would find a problem owning just a single 20* UQ as an initial investment. Especially as once you've considered laying down the money for a 30 or 40... you're often talking little more (weight, money, pack size, etc) for a 20*.

Often said here too- how often did you find your mattress too hot?
    UQ's are the same way and easy to regulate... in fact learning to do so seems a good way to learn about UQ's too as you go. By nailing that common problem (being chilled underneath) you're likely to enjoy your total investment more as well. If you put all the money into the hammock rig but it's not quite working... well you tend not to get your money's worth.

Also- a good 20* down UQ is one of the easiest things to resell if there is a problem or change of heart down the line.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast