Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sewing Machine occasionally stops feeding material mid seam ????

Hi All !

I'm Sewing Vinyl for seat covers for a pontoon boat. The Sewing machine work really well except for the below issue.

This problem has been here from day one - but comes and goes. Why I do not know. I've cleaned, checked all obvious settings (Correct Stitch, Bobbin rewind not engages, feed dogs up, etc,).

Issue: Feed dogs consistently go up and down - but do NOT consistently feed from front to rear - effectively starting and stopping fabric feed.

I noted that the feed dogs work fine when the reverse button is pressed.

If I summarize what is happening ..... I'm sewing along a long plain regular stitch seam and suddenly "mid seam" the material will stop feeding. The Feed Dogs DO go up and down but not back and forth. So, the material sits still and stitches over sews itself.

If I fiddle with the Stitch length dial and stitch selector a few times and or hit reverse a few times - the feed dogs start moving back and forth to feed again. This is driving me nuts since I'm sewing a vinyl and can only stitch the fabric once non stop for the seam.

Feed dog selector is engaged and up for movement.
    Straight stitch, #4 stitch length.
    Area around feed dogs has been thoroughly cleaned
    Machine is less than 12 mo old - purchased new.
    Other wise machine runs perfect.
    Model 4423 HD

This problem comes and goes ... Any Ideas what I should look for / at / adjust??? Otherwise It Runs Perfect - Then this happens then it magically repairs itself ...

Help is most Appreciated!

PS - It seems like the feed dogs change to "Neutral" or Zero Stitch length, or halfway between forward and reverse (Neutral?). Please note that no changes were made to stitch length or fee direction during this time, This happens mid seam stitching.

Could it be shifting into button hole mode? When it does do this I get a clicking in the machine at approx every 9 to 10 stitches.

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    It seems like something may be loose on the innards, and the feed dogs are skipping. I know you've cleaned. Have you checked to make sure you aren't missing any parts, or that one of the pieces isn't broken?
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    11" 1.1 ripstop
    Tarp
    1.1 DIY 10X10
    Insulation
    HG 20* TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Sounds like a gear tooth missing or a loose gear. If plastic gears that is likely the prob

I've got one more boat cushion to finish sewing and then I can pause to take all the covers off the machine. I agree that a tooth/gear is quite possible. Thanks for the replies. I'll be sure to post any findings - especially the final fix.

If anyone else has suggestions Please post . Thanks !

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I sew things on youtube.

Probably a plastic gear/s failure which is fixable (on some models) but this IS a problem with a lot of plastic machines. good luck

Just thought of something else: some machines have a setting/s that drops the feed dog for embroirery work, kind of a free hand sewing. might be something out of wack there. again some of these aren't worth the bother or $$$. good luck and keep us posted
    Last edited by ylnfrt; 02-11-2017 at 03:53.

Quote Originally Posted by ylnfrt View Post
    Probably a plastic gear/s failure which is fixable (on some models) but this IS a problem with a lot of plastic machines. good luck

Just thought of something else: some machines have a setting/s that drops the feed dog for embroirery work, kind of a free hand sewing. might be something out of wack there. again some of these aren't worth the bother or $$$. good luck and keep us posted

Thanks for the input!

The Machine is a Singer 4423 Heavy Duty - Metal frame, almost new, bought new. Although still a non industrial, it seems to be quite solid. But as you say, Plastic gears are still plastic. If IT is a gear I'll try to get stronger material (i.e. Nylon not just cheap plastic.)

Feed Dogs are manual drop. I do not believe these could be an issue at this time ....

Thanks!

Added pics before and after ... The First I attempted.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Canufixit; 02-11-2017 at 10:11. Reason: add pics

Ok, I'm on my last few Seams on my (for now) last seat cover . An I just want to add something/ask a question.....

IS there any way the machine can switch into "buttonhole" mode mid seam?? Is is possible I'm hitting that pushed up pulled down one button lever and the machine is responding to this action??

It seems (pun not intended) that Mid seam the sewing machine stops feeding (or feeding very slightly) in button hole mode and after the needed stitches for the side(s) of the button hole - goes back to normal straight stitching ??? I'd bet a case of beer on this....

Any inputs Please???

I will pull the covers of and inspect the machine and gears shortly and advise ....

Also, I searched and searched for this online and although I do find a "Few" threads on this on line - they never finish the entry with what it was or what they did to fix it.!

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    I wouldn't doubt it. It might be possible that something is throwing your machine into button mode. Are there poltergests of seamstresses past in your house? (j/k)

Let us know what happens when you pull the case off and see what is happening on the inside.

I would bet that there are some loose bits rattling around in there, or maybe some worn down teeth on something.
    I sew things on youtube.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Canufixit View Post
    If anyone else has suggestions Please post . Thanks !
    I don't have feed dogs, but when my fabric stops feeding, it's because my fat belly is pressing it against the edge of the sewing table, and stops the fabric. Not the machine, but user error, in other words. LOL

Is your fabric all clear and not hung up on something?
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast