Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Mac-Gear / HG / LL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I saw you posted this morning but had to wait until after work to watch! Been waiting all day. Your experience reminds me the truth in the saying: "Those things that don't kill us make us stronger!" Happy you are stronger for the experience. I've been dreaming of doing the AT, or portions, and I see now I have a lot of homework to do before I grab a pack and go. This really highlights the importance of the buddy system and teamwork to meet any challenge!

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Web/buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    Did you approach the AT from the East or the West on Charlie's Creek Rd? The map shows it is accessible from both directions but I know how that goes. Funny I was going to ask the same thing on Whiteblaze. Maybe someone else has used it more recently there as well.

I don't have a 4wd vehicle or even a PU truck or SUV. One car is an 08 Sebring and the other is a 98 Sable lol. I have gotten them in some places I probably had no business trying, but I'm sorta dumb that way =)
    If you are going to try I would suggest that you go at it from the west (i.e. Hightower Rd.) The gentleman that gave us a ride said that the other side of Blue ridge gap would need a 4wd for sure. He mentioned a river/creek crossing that way that could hinder anything else. I think, for the west side, as long as you have something with adequate ground clearance, or pick the right line, then you should be good. I should have the 3rd video posted this afternoon sometime and you can see the whole ride up the dirt road to Blue Ridge if you want.
    It's not often that I seldom do something. . .
    OUTDOORS with CHRIS YouTube channel
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Web/buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by rick417 View Post
    I saw you posted this morning but had to wait until after work to watch! Been waiting all day. Your experience reminds me the truth in the saying: "Those things that don't kill us make us stronger!" Happy you are stronger for the experience. I've been dreaming of doing the AT, or portions, and I see now I have a lot of homework to do before I grab a pack and go. This really highlights the importance of the buddy system and teamwork to meet any challenge!
    It was a lesson that won't go unlearned anytime soon for sure. Definitely get out there check it out. It's beautiful country.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Web/buckles
    Alright Part 3 is up. I appreciate everyone's views and the feedback here. It really was a great experience that I wouldn't want to change at this point. I do regret messing up my down jacket. Guess that's some fun I'll have with the sewing machine later. I can't say enough thanks to the good will of the three people that gave us rides along the way. Especially John Bradshaw, who I've friend-ed on Facebook now. Plus my dad sent him a care package via USPS. So we may have a new hiking buddy when we hit the AT again.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by souperman63 View Post
    Alright Part 3 is up. I appreciate everyone's views and the feedback here. It really was a great experience that I wouldn't want to change at this point. I do regret messing up my down jacket. Guess that's some fun I'll have with the sewing machine later. I can't say enough thanks to the good will of the three people that gave us rides along the way. Especially John Bradshaw, who I've friend-ed on Facebook now. Plus my dad sent him a care package via USPS. So we may have a new hiking buddy when we hit the AT again.

Good wrap-up to the trip, Chris.

Man I see what you mean about Charlie's Creek Rd now, I'm not sure I want to tackle that with my cars. I'll have to cogitate on it. How far a walk is the actual dirt portion, after you leave the blacktop? Do you think it might be possible to park at the end of the blacktop instead of driving all the way up?

What's with the Mello-Yello lol. Clearly something going on there the viewers weren't privy to =)

Great series, thoroughly enjoyable. Good job!

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Web/buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    Good wrap-up to the trip, Chris.

Man I see what you mean about Charlie's Creek Rd now, I'm not sure I want to tackle that with my cars. I'll have to cogitate on it. How far a walk is the actual dirt portion, after you leave the blacktop? Do you think it might be possible to park at the end of the blacktop instead of driving all the way up?

What's with the Mello-Yello lol. Clearly something going on there the viewers weren't privy to =)

Great series, thoroughly enjoyable. Good job!
    It's roughly a mile from the end of the blacktop. I don't remember too many spots for parking closer up to the dirt road that wouldn't be considered parking in someone's yard/property though I wasn't really looking with that in mine either.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Great video series. It's ALWAYS harder than you think to you have to keep that in mind and have contengencies. Glad everyone is ok and the coat can be replaced. Thanks for taking us along and a huge shout out to John Bradshaw for being more kind than he'll ever know. People like John keep my faith in humanity at a high level.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Web/buckles
    You got that right.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What are you using to shoot your videos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Web/buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherbrady View Post
    What are you using to shoot your videos?
    I'm using my iPhone 6s plus right now. Sometimes with a selfie stick, but I typically break about one selfie stick per trip. For some reason I always step on it while at camp. I use a handkerchief or piece of shock cord to tie it to small trees for some of the walking shots. I've thought about getting a different/better camera but it's just so convenient to use the phone since I'd be bringing it anyways. I just picked up a tripod from goodwill this past weekend that will help with dedicated videos or short trips where I might not mind the extra weight. I had to fashion a base for it, but used it yesterday in the backyard to film my next video for the channel about a cheap backpacking meal.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast