Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Congrats!
    Don't let temp and wind chill fool you when in Kansas. I've no clue where all the humidity comes from there seeing how they are just about as land-locked as they come, but they sure do have it! Some of the coldest nights from my memory were spent in Kansas. That's some good hangin you had with great results.
    My theory: irrigation. Thanks for the congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
    hey fellas
    im from kansas .and yes the weather does get kinda crazy here.. might i ask what lake you where hanging at?
    A small lake East of Wichita. My father-in-law lives on the Eastern shore. I grew up North of Wichita, and I agree about the weather. I've lived in several different states and they all get weather, but none had the almost daily threat of potentially serious weather like Tornado Alley.

Quote Originally Posted by TOB9595 View Post
    Another great LO TEMP success.

I shudder at the thought
    hahaha
    Tom
    I did, too, before I got comfy. Still do, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by swoosh View Post
    impressive bonsai! my record low is 18 with a windchill into single digits. impressive!!!!
    Kinda cool seeing "how low you can go..."
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Nice. I love reading all these cold weather test reports. Glad yours went well! Using the SS under a UQ was a good idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    WhoooHooo Bonsahiker! So the Tewa UQ was outside the HHSS UC? I have my SS set up right now with the MW4UQ hung underneath it. It is kind of over kill I guess for the afternoon highs of about 21.
    Thanks, fellas. I was pleased, myself! I did have the Te-wa quilt "outside" of the undercover. Didn't want condensation in the bag. I get enough of that in my underpad usually, but it wasn't such a big deal on that night.

About the "in the bag" vs "over the bag" debate, I'm with BillyBob. I can get by sometimes with the bag as a quilt, but when it gets cold I like to climb in and bundle up. My theory is that it has to do with both drafts and having a larger space to warm up, as I can spread out more and there is more air volume under the quilt. Also, I think I get a lot out of sharing body heat with my head and neck, which can't happen in quilt mode. I was pleased, though, that draping the down sleeves over my head worked so well to keep me warm enough.

What I really didn't like about that experiment was climbing in and getting situated. I haven't had that much stuff in my HH before, and man was it crowded. Getting the pad & pack situated was the biggest headache, but I guess that's what you have to do in the winter. Adding water bottles, filter, fuel, and whatever else I'll need to do "in the field" to keep it from freezing will only make it worse. It's a learning process, right? (I think I need a blackbird...)
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bonsaihiker View Post
    What I really didn't like about that experiment was climbing in and getting situated. I haven't had that much stuff in my HH before, and man was it crowded. Getting the pad & pack situated was the biggest headache, but I guess that's what you have to do in the winter. Adding water bottles, filter, fuel, and whatever else I'll need to do "in the field" to keep it from freezing will only make it worse. It's a learning process, right? (I think I need a blackbird...)
    Just get the zipper mod from 2Questions. http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/
    Cheaper than a new BB.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yeah, I've thought about that, especially after trying unsuccessfully to talk my wife into doing the zipper mod. I can sew, but that's beyond me. I've been trying to decide whether that would basically be a waste of money or not. I'm becoming less pleased with the comfort of my Explorer, thinking I just need a bit more room/length of the "bed" portion. I'd rather put that money into a more comfortable hammock, honestly.

What I'm suspecting is that the foot box in the BB will make me much more comfortable with a flatter lay, and also give more room inside as well, especially with the shelf. Maybe not...I'd have to try it to find out.
    --Scott <><

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12