Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I don't think it takes much reading here to be able to figure out which of the Manufacturers have the communities respect as honest, truthful advisers for us newbies. If someone were merely trying to make a sale, and offering inferior gear, I'm sure it would be obvious.

There is enough context here if someone is truly interested in getting the facts and figuring out relationships. I see no reason that Pan shouldn't offer his suggestions and views. I would expect that a manufacturer would think that their products are the best or among the best, and so would recommend them. I'm quite sure I have read posts in which Pan has explained his relationship to JRB, so no deceit is intended.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    I don't have a problem with it either. It's not like they're plopping an ad in the middle of somebody's trip report. In this case they were correcting an apparent misstatement and I don't recall any responses that weren't topical. As experienced manufacturers they are valuable members who have a lot of been-there-done-that wisdom they often share with the group.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Pan and Smee probably have the most experience in hammock camping on this forum, beside Ed Speer, although Ed doesn't post here. I'm sure if Ed did post he would biased toward his products and would suggest them when the question came up.

JRB does make a great product, whether you like the owners of the company or not. Pan and Smee have been a part of HF almost since the beginning, and have given back to the site in many ways. The advice of any veteran hammock camper is much appreciated, IMHO.

I think this thread needs to be back on topic and if others feel this discussion needs to continue, start a new thread. Threads started by newbies needing advice doesn't need to turn into a thread bashing a manufacturer.

EDIT:
    You really have to ask yourself if Brandon from Warbonnet Hammocks or Ed Speer had suggested one of their products would this discussion even exist?
    Last edited by headchange4u; 06-22-2007 at 10:02.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    Pan and Smee probably have the most experience in hammock camping on this forum, beside Ed Speer, although Ed doesn't post here. I'm sure if Ed did post he would biased toward his products and would suggest them when the question came up.

JRB does make a great product, whether you like the owners of the company or not. Pan and Smee have been a part of HF almost since the beginning, and have given back to the site in many ways. The advice of any veteran hammock camper is much appreciated, IMHO.

I think this thread needs to be back on topic and if others feel this discussion needs to continue, start a new thread. Threads started by newbies needing advice doesn't need to turn into a thread bashing a manufacturer.
    True, try one of those Claytor like hammock on ebay.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by funbun View Post
    True, try one of those Claytor like hammock on ebay.
    I have been wanting to try a Claytor hammock for a while and ever since neo posted the thread on the Ebay hammock I have to keep from clicking "Buy It Now". I will wait for someone else to be the guinna pig and give us a report and some pics.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

www.meancatcoffee.com

Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    EDIT:
    You really have to ask yourself if Brandon from Warbonnet Hammocks or Ed Speer had suggested one of their products would this discussion even exist?

I would say the same thing...this is a place to discuss not push your product...so there

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    I would say the same thing...this is a place to discuss not push your product...so there
    At least you are consistent .

www.meancatcoffee.com

Once again the thread goes off topic. . .

slongenberger, which hammock are you leaning toward getting?

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123