Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Oh thanks so much! Brilliant!
    I hate owning things that I don't know how to fix!

And here's a link to the page where I found a guy cleaning and oiling the machine... http://www.menwhosew.com/how-to-clea...wing-machines/

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Love singer machines! Mine is a 5050C from the late 90's. It is not heavy duty, but does what I need it too. I have discovered that metal bobbins from my old 1947 machine (which is my back-up machine) work in the 5050 too. Nice that singer has not changed that part, since I have discovered that the metal bobbins work better with the heavier threads (mara 70) in my singer; less vibration of the bobbin since it is heavier than the plastic bobbins. A lady at a local quilt supply store gave me that tip. The machine you are looking at does look pretty sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by Country Roads View Post
    Love singer machines! Mine is a 5050C from the late 90's. It is not heavy duty, but does what I need it too. I have discovered that metal bobbins from my old 1947 machine (which is my back-up machine) work in the 5050 too. Nice that singer has not changed that part, since I have discovered that the metal bobbins work better with the heavier threads (mara 70) in my singer; less vibration of the bobbin since it is heavier than the plastic bobbins. A lady at a local quilt supply store gave me that tip. The machine you are looking at does look pretty sweet!
    Nice Tip ! Thanks for passing this along.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kpi890 View Post
    And here's a link to the page where I found a guy cleaning and oiling the machine... http://www.menwhosew.com/how-to-clea...wing-machines/
    GAAAAHHHH!!!! He spent the first half of the video turning the hand wheel BACKWARD!!! I could hardly pay attention to what he was doing because I was trying to not holler at him!

Nevertheless, thanks for posting the link -- it's always good to see what something looks like before tackling it.

I bought a 4423 from Costco.ca a couple of weeks ago. Really happy with it after half a dozen or so projects. I have a 70's era Kenmore which has served me well for years but the stitch quality is getting marginal and it lacks the power to sew heavy material. The 4423 blasts right through multiple layers of webbing, heavy Cordura etc that the Kenmore would choke and die trying to sew. My quibbles with the 4423 are the very touchy speed control and the wimpy light. Other than that, a nice basic machine with lots of power which is what I was looking for.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by rheslip View Post
    I bought a 4423 from Costco.ca a couple of weeks ago. Really happy with it after half a dozen or so projects. I have a 70's era Kenmore which has served me well for years but the stitch quality is getting marginal and it lacks the power to sew heavy material. The 4423 blasts right through multiple layers of webbing, heavy Cordura etc that the Kenmore would choke and die trying to sew. My quibbles with the 4423 are the very touchy speed control and the wimpy light. Other than that, a nice basic machine with lots of power which is what I was looking for.

Rich
    That's exactly my situation to the tee! My kenmore is also a 70's model and has unexpected stitch quality haha. It's a great machine but like you said it can't handle the heavier stuff. I am still trying to find the best way to control the speed and start stall of this new heavy duty singer. I'll keep ya'll posted with any new discoveries.

Just another update on this machines capabilities... I've seen quite a few videos on people sewing leather with this machine so I knew I had to try it myself. I did a straight stitch first and then went over that with a zig zag. The machine worked it like butter no hesitations or stalls whatsoever and that's without a leather needle in. This is an old belt I made way back in high school: I also did sew the belt two layers together but don't have a picture but it sewed just fine.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast