Tarp
    WB SF and WL TP
    Insulation
    UGQ & HG
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images

Question Nor-Cal low elevation hang locations

Currently dealing with a predicament here in northern California, and looking for suggestions. Due to recent floods, I'm having problems finding a spot to backpack and hang in or around the Stanislaus National Forest. I had a group trip scheduled for February 25th & 26th at Preston Falls (outside of Yosemite and Groveland), but when I spoke with the ranger station today, they informed me that the area is closed due to the Tuolumne River flooding out the area. "Plan B" was to try for Hite Cove near Mariposa, but upon speaking with rangers there, I found out they're having the same problem.

Does anyone know of another possible location to backpack and hang at that's in or near the Stanislaus National Forest/Yosemite area? I'm trying to find a location that's below the snow level as nobody else in my party (but me) is equipped to deal with snowy conditions. Any suggestions and/or insight would be much appreciated. TIA
    Scarecrow on Instagram

"If somebody tells you there's a rule, break it. That's the only thing that moves things forward."
    -Hans Zimmer

Hammock
    Dutch Half Zipped
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I realize this is an older thread, but just curious if you found a place? How is Stanislaus National Forest normally?

Hammock
    Speers
    Tarp
    Speers
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    Webs and Whoopies
    Images
    What about Jawbone Falls? Hells Mountain? Those are both beautiful areas. Bourland Creek and Bourland Meadows are both pretty, though the meadow might be buggy.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB SF and WL TP
    Insulation
    UGQ & HG
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EakinJ View Post
    I realize this is an older thread, but just curious if you found a place? How is Stanislaus National Forest normally?
    I never did get out for a late winter trip, or even a spring trip for that matter. Here we are, June 6th, and still no camping for me :-(
    Stanislaus NF has always been awesome. There's an abundance of trails, rivers, and lakes there to hike to and camp at where not many people venture to. It's just been a rough year trying to coordinate things and find an opportunity to get out there. A couple days ago, a friend hit me up about wanting to go backpacking this weekend. We shall see what happens with that. It would definitely be nice to get out and about.

Quote Originally Posted by emigrant1 View Post
    What about Jawbone Falls? Hells Mountain? Those are both beautiful areas. Bourland Creek and Bourland Meadows are both pretty, though the meadow might be buggy.
    Haven't heard of Jawbone Falls or Hells Mountain. I dig the name though. Haha... I've heard of Bourland, but can't say I've ever been there. It seems like a former neighbor of mine was talking about that spot last year.
    Scarecrow on Instagram

"If somebody tells you there's a rule, break it. That's the only thing that moves things forward."
    -Hans Zimmer

Hammock
    Dutch Half Zipped
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    I never did get out for a late winter trip, or even a spring trip for that matter. Here we are, June 6th, and still no camping for me :-(
    Stanislaus NF has always been awesome. There's an abundance of trails, rivers, and lakes there to hike to and camp at where not many people venture to. It's just been a rough year trying to coordinate things and find an opportunity to get out there. A couple days ago, a friend hit me up about wanting to go backpacking this weekend. We shall see what happens with that. It would definitely be nice to get out and about..
    What's the best way into Stanislaus NF? Just up the 108? I'm wanting to go camping up there but I'm not sure where to find info on it, the .gov site is lacking, or at least my ability to navigate it is lacking.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB SF and WL TP
    Insulation
    UGQ & HG
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EakinJ View Post
    What's the best way into Stanislaus NF? Just up the 108? I'm wanting to go camping up there but I'm not sure where to find info on it, the .gov site is lacking, or at least my ability to navigate it is lacking.
    108 is my primary road of travel into SNF. Highway 4 leading into SNF is also good, although I'm not quite as familiar with the campgrounds and trail systems that are near there. Typically, I will backpack in to either Carson-Iceberg Wilderness or Emigrant Wilderness by means of heading up highway 108. There's also quite a few campgrounds right off the highway if that's something you're in to.

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk
    Scarecrow on Instagram

-Hans Zimmer

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB SF and WL TP
    Insulation
    UGQ & HG
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    Also, when I'm looking for a new spot to go, I'll often just check the pdf map that's available online, look for a location that peaks my interest, and look up any available information by performing a few Google searches for it. Particularly, I'm looking for trip reports, or at least reviews posted on All Trails that I can look over. Often times, I'll find some useful info on a "fs.usda.gov" page that comes up in my search results.

To view the pdf map mentioned above, it's at the following link: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...rdb5377368.pdf
    Scarecrow on Instagram

-Hans Zimmer

Hammock
    Dutch Half Zipped
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Excellent, thank you

• + New Posts