WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Too late to go wide?

I was one of the first 100 to pledge. Shortly thereafter got an email asking about color choice and fabric. That was well before the final stretch goal was met. Question now is can I still get the wide or is it too late?

Hammock
    1.7SL WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20° TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Spiders/Hooks
    I would send an email straight to the Dutchware team rather than waiting for them to see it here. It might be easy-peasy to set your configuration aside, give it to the first person in the queue who matches, and insert you into the wide hammock sewing list at your first-100-ish position.

But knowing Dutch, if you don't get a hold of them quick then you might be out of luck... Your hammock is probably already made, and could get dropped in the mail about five minutes after the Kickstarter funds are transferred!

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Not too late at all. There is plenty of time. We did make the first 100 but we can adjust your order no problem. Best think to do is send a message through kickstarter and Alex will take care of you. We can't send the official survey until we get the funds transferred. This takes 1 to 2 weeks. We sent out emails to the first 100 just to get a jump on it. But we can just make you a wide body and 101 or whoever will get the regular one.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Just upped my pledge $15 for the wide. Left a message about it in the comments section over at Kickstarter. Wide seems to be the way to go based on how many people are going that route. Thanks Dutch, once again I feel like you have the best customer service in the world!

BTW, get some sleep! I noticed you answered my question at 1:23 am.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon, DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex, DIY
    Insulation
    HG, DIY
    Suspension
    Straps, Beetles
    Images
    If anybody with hang time in a wide body hammock can chime in, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Is there a downside to going wide? Is visibility severely compromised? Will it be hard to reach the zippers on the bugnet or top cover? The same bugnet and top cover are used on the wide Chameleon as the regular so it seems like you be a lot "deeper" in the hammock.

Is it supremely comfortable??? I have never slept in a hammock wider than 60", but I am all about increasing my comfort, even if it cost me a few extra ounces.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by 100 Ton View Post
    If anybody with hang time in a wide body hammock can chime in, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Is there a downside to going wide? Is visibility severely compromised? Will it be hard to reach the zippers on the bugnet or top cover? The same bugnet and top cover are used on the wide Chameleon as the regular so it seems like you be a lot "deeper" in the e is good for tallhammock.

Is it supremely comfortable??? I have never slept in a hammock wider than 60", but I am all about increasing my comfort, even if it cost me a few extra ounces.

Thanks in advance for any responses.
    There's a thread called "Chameleon When to Go Wide" that might have some of the information you're looking for. I can't really speak to the topic very well. I went with the wide because I'm 6'2" and 220 lbs and it seems the general consensus is wide is good for tall folks so I'm taking the advice of those with more experience in this department.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    In a netless widebody gathered-end hammock with no side-tie outs, sometimes the fabric on the long edges can flop over the face or feet of the diagonally positioned occupant, which is why Knotty Mods are a popular feature. There are many variables that contribute to whether you might experience this in your Chameleon when going netless, including your size and how obliquely you prefer to lay, but with the net/cover in place the flop due to extra width is largely avoided.

Personally, I'm 6'2" and 175#, and I do fine with standard-width 11-foot hammocks, so I stuck with the standard Chameleon.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon, DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex, DIY
    Insulation
    HG, DIY
    Suspension
    Straps, Beetles
    Images
    I saw that thread about 2 minutes too late...Thanks![

QUOTE=drsolarmolar;1746056]There's a thread called "Chameleon When to Go Wide" that might have some of the information you're looking for. I can't really speak to the topic very well. I went with the wide because I'm 6'2" and 220 lbs and it seems the general consensus is wide is good for tall folks so I'm taking the advice of those with more experience in this department.[/QUOTE]

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon, DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex, DIY
    Insulation
    HG, DIY
    Suspension
    Straps, Beetles
    Images
    Thanks for the reply. I know what you mean about the excess fabric at head and foot when going netless. My first hammock is a Hennessey Expedition I bought in '03 or '04 (pre-Asym!), and to this day, I still try to mimics some of it's features in my DIY hammocks, and the shaped and sewn bugnet on that Hennessey does a nice job of opening up the interior. On my most recent DIY hammock, I made a shaped bugnet like the HH that attached to the sides with Velcro, but I have since modified the end gather which lengthened the hammock, and the bugnet no longer fits. Turns out I hated the Velcro anyway. ANYWAY, (sorry to ramble on ), that is why I'm asking the question about the wide Chameleon. I am wondering about how much additional comfort that 70" width gives you, and also how having the same size bugnet as the regular model would work without basically placing you lower in the bottom and restricting your view out. I am 5' 10", about 205 lbs, but wide in the shoulders and back. I am pretty comfortable in a regular width, but...well you know, I could always use a little more room!

Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    In a netless widebody gathered-end hammock with no side-tie outs, sometimes the fabric on the long edges can flop over the face or feet of the diagonally positioned occupant, which is why Knotty Mods are a popular feature. There are many variables that contribute to whether you might experience this in your Chameleon when going netless, including your size and how obliquely you prefer to lay, but with the net/cover in place the flop due to extra width is largely avoided.

Personally, I'm 6'2" and 175#, and I do fine with standard-width 11-foot hammocks, so I stuck with the standard Chameleon.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by 100 Ton View Post
    T...that is why I'm asking the question about the wide Chameleon. I am wondering about how much additional comfort that 70" width gives you, and also how havid hammock.ng the same size bugnet as the regular model would work without basically placing you lower in the bottom and restricting your view out. I am 5' 10", about 205 lbs, but wide in the shoulders and back. I am pretty comfortable in a regular width, but...well you know, I could always use a little more room!
    There is no right or wrong answer here, so, as with many questions of hammock fit and comfort, the issues are subjective ones.

Starting with the information you have given, yo are of pretty average size with broad shoulders, and from previous experience you know you are generally pretty comfortable in a standard-width 11-foot gathered-end hammock, so you know a standard Chameleon will work fine for you and wide is not mandatory. Therefore, the decision between the standard and wide models is going to be based on your personal priorities for attributes you Chameleon should have,

If you plan to use the net/cover on your Chameleon pretty much year-round, a wide Chameleon is not going to flop.

If you plan to go netless a lot but don't mind staking out the sides of your hammock whenever you do, a wide Chameleon is not going to flop.

If weight, pack size, and ease of hanging and use are most important to you, choose a standard Chameleon.

If you (want to) sleep on an aggressive diagonal with ot without the net/cover and have plenty of room to move and adjust -- and if the weight and management of the extra fabric won't be a dealbreaker -- choose a wide Chameleon.

If it were up to me, I wouldn't get greedy on the incremental comfort bump, and I'd pick the standard model. Dutch has always been known for making his hammocks quite comfortable at any width.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast