WBBB 1.1 DL...Yeah baby.
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Nothing Yet...
    Suspension
    Whatever is on it.

Getting Started - Sewing Machine

Hey folks. I am thinking of getting started as a DIYer. I am looking around for a cheap way to get started. I was wondering if you guys could recommend an inexpensive sewing machine that will do the job. I found this one, but I am new to all of this so I don't really know what to look for. Thanks for your help.

Chris

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    I'm studying these also thanks to Grizz and JustJeff. Someone told me that the machine we need must have a 'walking foot' that can handle slick materials like sil-nyl......if any can offer more clues on this please share.

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    this has been addressed frequently- the best advice ever was "make sure the machine you choose has metal gears, not plastic or nylon"! sewing several layers of nylon/polyester/etc is tough going for any machine-
    Reams of good advice can be accessed by typing "metal gears" into the search function on the top bar-
    Hope this helps! KM

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    IMHO, you should avoid new machines such as the ones sold at WalMart... find a used or refurbished machine from a local ad, your church, or Craig's List. If you can find a local repair and refurbishing shop, you will be all set.

I bought an 80s Nechhi for $85 from a lady whose mother passed away, and paid $80 to service it. It's better than any $200 new machine.

I bought an early 60s Singer for $50 at a local church, and paid $40 to service it. It's frame is cast iron... it will last forever!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    A walking foot is not worth the bother as far as I am concerned _unless_ you are planning on doing commercial sewing for profit. For normal DIY use they can get in the way and present one more gadget to cause problems. My adivce has always been the same... Go to your local sewing machine shop and ask for the best OLD used machine they have. You need the forward stitch and that's about it. A reverse stitch is nice but not absolutely mandatory. A zig zag has uses but is very easily gone without. I advice buying from someone local for a couple of reasons. You know the machine has been properly serviced and you have a local source in case problems pop up later.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    If you don't have a local supply for sewing machines, buy it. It has a 25 year limited warranty. If it doesn't do what you need it to do, return it to walmart. Check it out and report back. Can't hurt a thing and you'll get your money back, if your not satisfied. Save your reciept!!

Check into local sewing classes as well, great place to pick up some great pointers. Or ask Grandma for some tips. Those old gals love to share their worldly knowledge of crafts.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Keep the tips coming, I'm learning

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL...Yeah baby.
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Nothing Yet...
    Suspension
    Whatever is on it.
    Thanks guys. I appreciate all of the advice. I will keep my eyes open for an older machine. I don't know of any shops that would have them around here, but I saw some on craigslist and I will talk to some family members about finding a place to get one tuned up.

Thanks for all the help.

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I just bought a walking foot for my Singer Slant-o-matic and I love it! I got it because I'm sewing up some insulated curtains (house-gear?) and I was having problems with the bottom material getting fed thru the machine faster than the top material. Rev has much more experience than me, but the results that I've gotten so far have been excellent.

+1 on the older machine, +1 on steel gears. I just came back from the local sewing machine store, and they had several trade-ins for sale at very reasonable prices.
    "Interesting! No, wait, the other thing.....tedious!"- Bender Bending Rodriques

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I have the LS2125 Brother sewing machine that I picked up on Craig's list for $25. It works fine for what I do (2 zig-zag sewn hammocks, 2 cheapo-quilts, misc bar-tacks in webbing, etc.)

It's not the greatest machine in the world, but it "injects thread into my gear." My advice? Listen to RamblinRev, watch his videos, buy lots of cheap material from wal-mart, and practice... I've sewn a number of projects, and it will be years before I'm any good at it...

There are hundreds of good machines out there, begging to be used. Ask around (older family, friends) You might find a good one cheap, or on indefinite loan...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast