Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Totally unrelated to bridge hammocks and cuben, I saw this at a state park visitor center last weekend and thought hmmm. Looks like kitsap's gasket (or whatever that is).

Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Caminante View Post
    Totally unrelated to bridge hammocks and cuben, I saw this at a state park visitor center last weekend and thought hmmm. Looks like kitsap's gasket (or whatever that is).

Ha ha, yes, it does. My avatar, by the way, is a Northwest Coast native carving of an octopus; the mural is located in the Administration building here in our county seat. I Haida, Tlingit, and other NWC native art.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Morning After Report

Slept great for 8 hours straight in the Web Sliger last night under cloudy but calm conditions with an overnight low of 37F. My DIY bridge hammock underquilt made from two layers Climashield Apex 3.6 continues to perform very well, and my matching DIY synthetic winter top quilt kept me almost too warm for the weather. On the last few overnight hangs I've noticed the design provides a very flat lay when adjusted to a 25-degree "hangle", and the symmetrical shape and 36" width at the ends give me plenty of room for lounging with arms and legs in different positions. (Any shallower of an angle on the suspension would start to induce a lot of tipping, though...) I even side-slept for about two hours during the night. The end cap pockets are easy for me to access, and the head-end pocket is super convenient during the middle of the night; also, this style of pocket doesn't compromise the fit of my underquilt, which is an added benefit. Best of all, no edge seam blow-outs last night!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 04-07-2017 at 13:53.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    Slept great for 8 hours straight in the Web Sliger last night under cloudy but calm conditions with an overnight low of 37? On the last few overnight hangs I've noticed the design provides a very flat lay when adjusted to a 25-degree "hangle", and the symmetrical shape and 36" width at the ends give me plenty of room for lounging with arms and legs in different positions. Best of all, no edge seam blow-outs last night!
    Hey Cowboy, the carbon fiber spreader bars you had made, are they a single 36" length or do they separate into smaller sections? I'm thinking I need a set and wanted to find out about the size's and your recommendations.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRpilot View Post
    Hey Cowboy, the carbon fiber spreader bars you had made, are they a single 36" length or do they separate into smaller sections? I'm thinking I need a set and wanted to find out about the size's and your recommendations.
    I don't hike with hiking poles, so I wanted to have the option for an ultralight alternative spreader bar.

These Ruta Locura custom 36" bars are single-piece -- they don't break down -- but I could have had them made as two-piece bars (each 18", one with a 2" extension) for about $20 more at a weight penalty of 2 to 3 ounces.

Given the fact that one is already pushing certain engineering limits opting for carbon spreaders over aluminum ones, I wouldn't recommend going with carbon fiber for hangers over 200 lbs. Carbon bars are relatively brittle and particularly susceptible to the compression forces of bridge hammocks when the force vectors don't travel straight down the center of the bars -- and CF is spectacular when it fails. I feel a lot safer using the one-piece bars because they don't have any play at the midpoint joint the way a two-piece bar might, but even so I am careful not to contact them with any pressure when I'm in the hammock. I find the 36" one-piece bars are easy enough to lash to the side of my pack without getting in the way, but if I had a bridge hammock that called for one bar to be any longer they might be a problem. Packability aside, got to love the weight savings with a complete tree-to-tree bridge hammock rig (hammock, bars, suspension, and stuff sack) weighing in 17 ounces (470 grams)! HTH...

Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 04-09-2017 at 21:30.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    this thread really tempts me to add a bridge to the armada.....

**** you

Hammock
    WBRR,HENESSEY JUNGLE, ENO 1 link
    Tarp
    ENO PRO, SLD WH
    Insulation
    Igniter and blaze
    Suspension
    Buckles,atlas,ring
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    Slept great for 8 hours straight in the Web Sliger last night under cloudy but calm conditions with an overnight low of 37F. My DIY bridge hammock underquilt made from two layers Climashield Apex 3.6 continues to perform very well, and my matching DIY synthetic winter top quilt kept me almost too warm for the weather. On the last few overnight hangs I've noticed the design provides a very flat lay when adjusted to a 25-degree "hangle", and the symmetrical shape and 36" width at the ends give me plenty of room for lounging with arms and legs in different positions. (Any shallower of an angle on the suspension would start to induce a lot of tipping, though...) I even side-slept for about two hours during the night. The end cap pockets are easy for me to access, and the head-end pocket is super convenient during the middle of the night; also, this style of pocket doesn't compromise the fit of my underquilt, which is an added benefit. Best of all, no edge seam blow-outs last night!

While red and blue pajamas may be eye catching, they make you look short on camera.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by tazmaniac View Post
    While red and blue pajamas may be eye catching, they make you look short on camera.
    I may be short, but I can still dunk!

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Tonight will make 20 nights I've slept in the Web Slinger overnight, and it still looks to be holding up nicely as I set it up...

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    Zpacks CF, WBSF
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ WBB 0 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide WS
    Images
    Beautiful work!

• + New Posts