Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New Underquilt Build (Suggestions Welcome)

This is my first time sewing much of anything so any suggestions for this fabric would be appreciated.

I will start out with my numbers in the spreadsheet. Does anyone see anything wrong with this? The top seems are extra long so I can make the channel. I am going to use the clew suspension so I wont put in side channels for now.

MZ2zjew.jpg

I am going to get a pattern drawn up and I will get that posted up shortly.
    Last edited by onesojourner; 02-20-2017 at 16:46. Reason: Updated to latest spreadsheet

Hammock
    DIY GE
    Insulation
    Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DynaGlide UCRs
    I'm amidst my first down underquilt build. A couple things that determined my build specs. Having a 1" diff between baffle height and loft adds quite a bit of needed width to your outer shell. You need to aim for a total of 58" since most fabrics come in that width. Which means either making your quilt more narrow or making your finished loft a little lower, like maybe 2.7". Second, I was on the fence about side channels. You will have excess material for the inside shell that's going to be cut off and go to waste. You might as well just add the side channels in case you ever want them. It's only ~.25oz for side channels if you use a .67oz fabric like membrane 10, which is what I'm using.

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierT View Post
    I'm amidst my first down underquilt build. A couple things that determined my build specs. Having a 1" diff between baffle height and loft adds quite a bit of needed width to your outer shell. You need to aim for a total of 58" since most fabrics come in that width. Which means either making your quilt more narrow or making your finished loft a little lower, like maybe 2.7". Second, I was on the fence about side channels. You will have excess material for the inside shell that's going to be cut off and go to waste. You might as well just add the side channels in case you ever want them. It's only ~.25oz for side channels if you use a .67oz fabric like membrane 10, which is what I'm using.
    After further discussion with my wife I think we have decided to go with a 2.25 baffle. I had not thought about doing the side channel on the inside shell. I will go ahead and add that in.

Here is my test stitch with the new machine. Does that look alright? I have it set on 2.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I finished my first UQ build a few weeks ago...did a wooki inspired version though...let us know how yours goes!

I'm still settling on various design aspects but I will be if less help to you as my build is different.

What temp low are your shooting for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

I would like it to be a pretty solid 20 degree quilt.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I don't know - it depends on how you sleep - hot vs cold -

If you cut baffles to 2.25 then you must lose some with seam allowance - I did not double over the no seeum and so it takes about 1/8 inch for each seam

If you cut to 2.25 and add some overstuff it may loft up to more like 2.5 or more - doable

But if it were me I would cut it to 2.75 (with added seam allowance so more like 3 inches) - and go for extra warmth

But I say all that as I sleep cold and even my cottage vendor gear once in the 20's I'm "ok" but find I am "less toasty"

Others would die of heat exhaustion in what I prefer

Good luck!

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

I think I am on the same page. I plan to cut the baffles at 2 3/4 so that I have about a quarter inch seem allowance. Ultimately ending up with a total baffle height of 2 1/4. I have 1 pound of 850fp down and I have no problem using all of it, but if I have an ounce or 2 left over that would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
    I don't know - it depends on how you sleep - hot vs cold -

If you cut baffles to 2.25 then you must lose some with seam allowance - I did not double over the no seeum and so it takes about 1/8 inch for each seam

If you cut to 2.25 and add some overstuff it may loft up to more like 2.5 or more - doable

But if it were me I would cut it to 2.75 (with added seam allowance so more like 3 inches) - and go for extra warmth

But I say all that as I sleep cold and even my cottage vendor gear once in the 20's I'm "ok" but find I am "less toasty"

Others would die of heat exhaustion in what I prefer

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierT View Post
    I agree with everything here, especially keeping an eye on the fabric width. I'd also include side channels just in case, but I have not tried a clew suspension yet so I'm probably just being conservative.

My "20F" quilt is 2" baffles and 2.5" max loft, so I think you'll be fine with 2.25" baffles and 2.75" loft.

When I built my down UQ, I used this tutorial as a starting point. It is really good and has a great way of integrating channels into the liner:
    http://imgur.com/a/nwn64
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Quote Originally Posted by Caminante View Post
    I agree with everything here, especially keeping an eye on the fabric width. I'd also include side channels just in case, but I have not tried a clew suspension yet so I'm probably just being conservative.

My "20F" quilt is 2" baffles and 2.5" max loft, so I think you'll be fine with 2.25" baffles and 2.75" loft.

When I built my down UQ, I used this tutorial as a starting point. It is really good and has a great way of integrating channels into the liner:
    http://imgur.com/a/nwn64
    I have that one bookmarked. Is it necessary to sew through 2 layers on the noseeum or is just sewing one layer sufficient?

Alright here is the latest spreadsheet. ( I have also update the first post)

My wife and I started cutting and laying things out so I guess we are committed. The cause of the weirdness in the spread sheet is the seems. The outer will house the channel on the ends and the inner will house the channel on the sides. Hopefully that works out.

We have 3 of the 4 halves laid out.

and some more test stitching
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast