Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Harpo63 View Post
    Don't tell me the pictures are in your backyard! That combo looks real nice! Ive been thinking about the Burrow. Need to pace myself, got a KAQ coming!

Since you said you slept in it indoors, shall I assume you set it up outside for pics? At first glance, I thought wow, maybe that setup is really warm without a tarp! Is the UQ the 3/4 size?
    I took my two oldest sons on a hike with me near our home, but not our back yard. It's a beautiful area and I'm planning a stealth hang there sometime soon. I took the hike specifically to test some other gear and take photos along the way. The outside temperature was 40°F and we all took little rests inside the hammock as I cooked our lunch out on the mesa. The quilts were HOT, both in look/feel and temperature.

I'll get some more measurements and feedback once I get a chance to test the quilts outdoors.

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    That is a SWEET looking piece of equipment. Looking forward to getting on "the list" this week for the Burrow. Then the dreaded wait begins . . .
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Wow! Whoooo!
    Love that tag Ya'll.......
    Congrats to you both.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Blackbird Dbl. 1.1
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Dlx.
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Images

Temp??

What temp is the TQ and UQ good to?

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmitty View Post
    What temp is the TQ and UQ good to?
    According to Adam's site, The Crows nest is rated at 25 and The Ptarmigan is rated at 15-25 they are both 3/4th UQ. He has a full length incubater rated at 10-20. Check out his site dejoha did a great job designing it.

http://www.theperfecttrees.com/index.html
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I'm planning on taking the UQ/TQ combo with me to the AZ hang this weekend. The predicted low temperatures will be the low 20s°F. I'm also planning to do a backyard test here in Flagstaff before I hit the trail this weekend, which should provide lows around 18°F.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    thanks LRR, I think those temps are pretty close to conservative. Of course different people will be able to take them down to different temperatures.

As new as the burrow is I am looking forward to hearing how the beta testers do with them. I have personally had the Ptarmigan/burrow combination down to 15deg. I had two pair of thick wool socks and a wally world pad doubled over under my feet/legs. I was wearing boxers, sweat pants, t-shirt long sleeve merino wool top, thick fleece hood(beanie), and a scarf over my mouth to keep condensation down some. I never woke up from the cold, just the usual duties that occur during the evening hours.... I had my tarp pulled pretty close to keep the wind off of me too.

That was just me though. I tend to sleep pretty close to most bags rated temperatures. I look forward to hearing how your coming up field tests go Derek. Thanks again buddy.

~SC
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Stormcrow, what are your thoughts on warmth comparison with the 3/4 Ptarmigan/Pad vs. the full length Incubator without a pad? Have you compared them in similar temps? Just curious.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pizza View Post
    Stormcrow, what are your thoughts on warmth comparison with the 3/4 Ptarmigan/Pad vs. the full length Incubator without a pad? Have you compared them in similar temps? Just curious.
    That is a good question Pizza. I do not have a real world answer for that right now. There is around 3oz more in the Incubator which is spread over a larger area so... I would say they are both comparable. I have had the Ptarmigan down to 15 and the Incubator down to almost the same. I was fine at both temperatures in both of them. I know that might not sound biased as the maker of the quilts but so far that is my experience.

I am personally still a fan of the 3/4 quilt when I am out on the trail. The gram weenie in me finds it a little hard to justify the underquilt coverage for my legs that is associated with a full length quilt. Having said that, I find I do like the full length underquilt when I am doing shorter miles or car camping. There is something to be said for the "no fiddle factor" when using a full length quilt.

~Stormcrow
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    thanks LRR, I think those temps are pretty close to conservative. Of course different people will be able to take them down to different temperatures.

As new as the burrow is I am looking forward to hearing how the beta testers do with them. I have personally had the Ptarmigan/burrow combination down to 15deg. I had two pair of thick wool socks and a wally world pad doubled over under my feet/legs. I was wearing boxers, sweat pants, t-shirt long sleeve merino wool top, thick fleece hood(beanie), and a scarf over my mouth to keep condensation down some. I never woke up from the cold, just the usual duties that occur during the evening hours.... I had my tarp pulled pretty close to keep the wind off of me too.

That was just me though. I tend to sleep pretty close to most bags rated temperatures. I look forward to hearing how your coming up field tests go Derek. Thanks again buddy.

~SC
    I like the way you talk. Ain't you got no Mama to sew them quilts? You must be give out.
    I am proud of ya' boy.
    ShKarlug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast