Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images

How to use a top quilt?

Probably a bit of a dumb question. I recently got my long-awaited top quilt, a 3-season Burrow. It's beautiful and it's very warm. Provided that I can eliminate any draft gaps.

The first night, I tested the top quilt in bed. I was surprised how warm it was: in the end I switched to my normal blanket to get to a more comfortable temperature. One thing I noticed, though, was that I couldn't get the quilt to completely "close". As soon as I changed my position, there would be a little opening somehwere on the side, which let in cool air. I thought that it might not be a problem in the hammock, though.

Last night I used it in the hammock, hanging in the backyard. It was supposed to be a cold night, but in the end didn't seem to go below freezing (or the quilt made me think it didn't ). I was not cold at all - I also had my new summer incubator in place, which, together with my TaR ProLite, kept me a lot warmer than any other combination I had used previously.

However, I toss and turn quite a bit. And the top quilt is quite narrow. Same as indoors, everytime I changed position, a gap would open and let out the precious warmth. Which kept me awake for a long time, and prevented me from sleeping properly.

Is this just newbie trouble? Do you get used to moving around more carefully? Or do I have these problems because I'm still using a pad? Adam put straps on the quilt, so that when I go to ground I can fix the quilt to the pad and eliminate drafts. I will probably try using the pad like this in the hammock, but it will make getting out of the hammock a bit more awkward.

By the way: eliminating the Therm-a-Rest is not an option. It will be part of my set-up since I expect going ground more often than I would like. I also *like* the TaR in the hammock... It has a very nice kind of warmth, and it changes the feeling of the hammock - but in a good way.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Top quilts work best with under quilt as opposed to pads...Tuck is much much less issue on the side vs bottom.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Probably a bit of a dumb question. I recently got my long-awaited top quilt, a 3-season Burrow. It's beautiful and it's very warm. Provided that I can eliminate any draft gaps.

The first night, I tested the top quilt in bed. I was surprised how warm it was: in the end I switched to my normal blanket to get to a more comfortable temperature. One thing I noticed, though, was that I couldn't get the quilt to completely "close". As soon as I changed my position, there would be a little opening somehwere on the side, which let in cool air. I thought that it might not be a problem in the hammock, though.

Last night I used it in the hammock, hanging in the backyard. It was supposed to be a cold night, but in the end didn't seem to go below freezing (or the quilt made me think it didn't ). I was not cold at all - I also had my new summer incubator in place, which, together with my TaR ProLite, kept me a lot warmer than any other combination I had used previously.

However, I toss and turn quite a bit. And the top quilt is quite narrow. Same as indoors, everytime I changed position, a gap would open and let out the precious warmth. Which kept me awake for a long time, and prevented me from sleeping properly.

Is this just newbie trouble? Do you get used to moving around more carefully? Or do I have these problems because I'm still using a pad? Adam put straps on the quilt, so that when I go to ground I can fix the quilt to the pad and eliminate drafts. I will probably try using the pad like this in the hammock, but it will make getting out of the hammock a bit more awkward.

By the way: eliminating the Therm-a-Rest is not an option. It will be part of my set-up since I expect going ground more often than I would like. I also *like* the TaR in the hammock... It has a very nice kind of warmth, and it changes the feeling of the hammock - but in a good way.
    the pad probly didn't help ....
    I have said in the past that using a pad with a UQ is not a good idea...the UQ can't seal up against you....
    if your UQ is sitting up against you it will wrap up around your sides...this makes up for the gaps that your getting
    that just my .01

i move alot too in my sleep and havn't had this problem yet...maybe one night i'll try it with a pad and see if i have the same problem
    for the sake of science
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    OK, so basically my top quilt won't work if I use a pad in the hammock? That's not good. But I was afraid that this was the case.

This means that I either accept the draft gaps - or get a sleeping bag with the weight penalty

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    8x10 made by me
    Insulation
    JRB winter UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    You could try shock cord around the pad like ground sleepers do.

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    Add draft stoppers??

I just finished a karo step TQ. I thought I made it plenty large. I didn't. When I lay in bed and cover up with it, and roll around, I feel a little draft getting in. I haven't tried it in the hammock yet, so hopefully the hammock sides will help. I think I'm gonna have to add draft stoppers to it.

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    What are draft stoppers?

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepcachr View Post
    You could try shock cord around the pad like ground sleepers do.
    Yes, Adam added 2 straps to the quilt to enable me to do this when I'm going ground. I just thought I wouldn't need it in the hammock. I'll give it a try though.

Quote Originally Posted by nacra533 View Post
    Add draft stoppers??

I just finished a karo step TQ. I thought I made it plenty large. I didn't. When I lay in bed and cover up with it, and roll around, I feel a little draft getting in. I haven't tried it in the hammock yet, so hopefully the hammock sides will help. I think I'm gonna have to add draft stoppers to it.
    Hm, I thought about something like that. But I'm not a very good (or let's say patient) seamstress I also have no idea how to go about it - and I don't want to destroy something this nice. Will piercing the fabric make it more permeable for the down?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    These may help you.....Quilt wings .... same as draft stoppers.... sorta.
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Quilt%20Wings.htm
    This too: http://www.jacksrbetter.com/DTEPC.htm
    Snug Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    According to their website, the Burrow is 48" wide. Personally, I consider that a more than adequate width for a hammock quilt. Admittedly, I think that is pushing the limits for going to ground.

In a hammock, the sides come up and partially wrap around you, kind of like meeting the top quilt half-way. I agree that the pad may hamper this wrapping affect. I use a 42" wide top quilt and I am just shy of 200 pounds and 6'-1" tall. Granted, there is no extra material, but that's what backpacking is all about.

Try it with an underquilt and I suspect you will have better results. Also, as you use the hammock more, you will probably adjust and sleep with less turning. I know that happened to me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast