Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Grounds too hard!

I gave up camping years ago because I just couldn't sleep on the ground, with or without pads or even with a cot.
    So the hammock is my last chance.
    I'm going to learn everything I can before I spend a dime, I want to get it right.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    Sounds like a solid plan. I would suggest getting a cheapo hammock and giving it a try in the backyard if possible before investing in an expensive one. They do take a bit of fiddling and practice to get right, and they're not for everyone. I've seen a lot of people dump hundreds if not thousands of dollars into equipment only to not be able to figure it out or not like it. Just about any 10-foot Plus hammock will give you a solid idea of whether you'll like it or not:<)
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Before you spend much money, buy the kit from makeyourgear.com, or just buy the pre-made setup from dutchwaregear.com.

Saves $ in the experimentation process.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I would recommend finding a group hang in your area and attend. This way you can try several hammocks before spending a dime. While waiting you should check out Shug's YouTube channel for a ton of entertaining hammock information.

Never thought of that. I would hope there are groups here in Washington state. Thank you.

Thanks for the tip!

What cheap hammock would you recommend?

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    I started out with a tribals provision, you can find them on Amazon or Ebay for about 35 bucks. There are a bunch of cheap ones on eBay these days, just about anything 10 feet or over will give you an idea as to whether or not you like it. You can't go wrong with a Dutch 11-foot netless. Some people like 9 footers.
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB SF and WL TP
    Insulation
    UGQ &amp; HG
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    Welcome to Hammock Forums, squidbo, and enjoy the comfort quest! As you enter the world of hammocks, this would be my recommendations. So that you don't get overwhelmed with everything, take it one step at a time.

Step 1: Get an inexpensive but decent size hammock to experiment with. Really any that are between 10 and 11 feet will be a good starting point. Try it out, and see how comfortable it is for you.

Step 2: Once you determine whether or not you like hammocks after trying it out, then it's time to try out and/or invest in some insulation options. Many folks begin by using a pad (air or foam) and their sleeping bag, and then invest in underquilts as well as top quits. Always best to try this stuff out at home. If you find that you can sleep warm and comfortably, then you're likely more than ready for step 3.

Step 3: Invest in a tarp that's suitable for your needs and comfort level. Some folks like large tarps that are big enough to take on the look and feel of a tent. Others prefer a more "minimalist" style tarp (smaller, less overall coverage, but still enough to keep the rain off ya).

Step 4: Once you have all your main components, then it's time to start playing with the whole thing as a complete system. At this point, you should be pretty well familiar with the bulk of your gear as well as the setup, and you'll be more at ease with making any necessary adjustments and modifications to your setup/configuration.

In the meantime, I would definitely tune in to Shug's "How To" series on YouTube (if you haven't already), and also be sure to watch some of his trip report videos so you can see how everything comes together and works out in the field.

Note: The above is simply the approach I took when getting into hammocks last year. Going this route, I never felt overwhelmed, and it has made the entire comfort quest very relaxed, leisurely, and most importantly enjoyable. Ultimately, take "the path" that you're most comfortable with and enjoy the journey. Happy hanging!
    Last edited by Scarecrow; 02-20-2017 at 22:48.
    Scarecrow on Instagram

"If somebody tells you there's a rule, break it. That's the only thing that moves things forward."
    -Hans Zimmer

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon SilHex
    Insulation
    HGIncubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch BeetleBuckle
    Images
    Welcome and good luck being able to camp again.
    You've come the right place for sure. Watch the Shug's videos on YouTube, especially the essential series
    Deja Moo: "The feeling you have heard this bull before"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast