Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images

Tyvek versus Epilay Synthetic roofing material

I don't have any experience with Tyvek. I live about 200 feet from the open water on the south shore of Long Island. Builders tend to use heavier material than Tyvek.

I have a few pieces of Epilay Synthetic Roofing Material that I use as my ground cover under my hammock and under my sit pad. This stuff is pretty robust and not the lightest stuff around. Curious how it compares to Tyvek. It isn't soft by any stretch of the imagination. I haven't tried washing it.

Does anyone use this material??
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

I've never used it, but I come across synthetic roofing felt in my job. I do have tyvek and I know this stuff is probably 2-3x the weight of tyvek depending on the thickness you have. Even if you wash it I don't think it'll get any softer due to the nature of the material but you could always buy a couple linear feet of tyvek online and see what you like better.

In the end though they will serve about the same function and as a plus, this stuff may be quieter than tyvek.

Hammock
    WalhallaCustom11'
    Tarp
    Walhalla Winter
    Insulation
    LL0°,CRO20°
    Suspension
    CL's/Buckles/Etc
    If you get tyvek fabric from Into The Wind kite company, they sell by the yard I think, you can wash it and it softens. I need to order some and try it. I bought some cheap heavy water proof cordura fabric and bound the edges with Gorilla tape and installed grommets to stake it down if needed. Way heavier than Tyvek but so far it's awesome. Noisy in winter, should be better in summer.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    www.wildcherrywoodworks.com (my business)
    www.mainechopstick.com (my other business)
    www.4alloutdoors.org (a friend's site I do reviews for)
    www.curlymaplechronicles.blogspot.com (my personal blog)

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I don't have any experience with the roofing material you mention, but... if you're looking to go lighter, Tyvek is almost certainly the better bet.

However.

A couple things about Tyvek.

First, without washing, Tyvek is slick as heck. If you're using it as a ground cloth to lay on, you'd better find a VERY flat spot, or you'll be sliding off it all night. I suppose it's the same with any plastic type material, though.

Second, Tyvek isn't waterproof, it's water resistant and breathable. This means it's not really the ideal material for a ground cloth, since you should be planning for a flood.

Third, when you wash Tyvek, it loses water resistance. It also gets softer, making it usable for garments and such. Since there's plenty raingear out there made from its washed form, I assume its water resistance is fine for that application even after washing. But we're not talking about garments, we're talking about a ground cloth. Whole different prospect.

Anyway, just my .02
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Thanks all..

I have an order for Dutch, so I'll add a little Tyvek to compare to what I have. I have a few small pieces of this Epilay material and I am going to throw it in the washing machine and then work on softening it up. Not that this stuff doesn't work.. it does.. it's just a little too stiff.
    Bob's brother-in-law

Go to the USPS and grab a first class mailer envelope. It is made of Tyvek and you can have a hands on comparison to the stuff you are currently using.

Tarp
    DIY Butterfly Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    I just find a construction site and ask for scraps. One window or door sized piece is plenty big enough for a tent footprint. They're usually very accommodating, but from my experiences of working up in the northeast, people in general aren't very friendly or helpful to people they don't know, but it's still worth a shot.

Btw, I don't recommend washing it because as was already stated, it loses its ability to resist water. When you get tyvek, it's very crinkly and noisy but after a few uses that goes away.

Good luck.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Worksite scraps..that's how I got the Epilay material... I went dumpster diving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    Quote Originally Posted by scbicycle View Post
    Go to the USPS and grab a first class mailer envelope. It is made of Tyvek and you can have a hands on comparison to the stuff you are currently using.
    +1on the usps envelopes. Great for no sew stuff sacks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

I had a neighbor that decide to go down that road. His roof after 4 years started showing signs of tear and wear.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast