Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    Hennessy Asym Hex
    Insulation
    C Pepper, Wht Clou
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    For Texas summers I've found the REI Helios sack or a fleece sleeping bag liner to be good options. I just got a Loco Libre synthetic underquilt and it is awesome. I will be getting a top quilt to match.

I got the Prima Loft Gold quilt from Just Bill about a month ago. I'll copy below the original write up I did on White Blaze and the first response to that post. (I thought the response was a bit harsh.). Anyway, if you want more information, Just Bill is the guy to contact.

"New Quilt from One of our Own
    I wanted to give a little mention of a new quilt I recently received from our own JustBill here on WB. As most of you know if you've been here for awhile, JustBill (Bill Townsend) seems to have a pretty good knowledge of insulation (R-values, U-values, (well, that's for windows) CLO numbers, loft etc.) and he is making some quilts using Prima Loft Gold. I was looking for a summer quilt that could also be layered over my 20 degree EE down quilt for cold cold weather and the next thing I know, I pulled the trigger on his "Just A Quilt" in what he calls the Big Guy size. ( I'm 6'3" but skinny)

It weighs 18.125 oz. has a zippered foot box, these unusual "bat wing" panels that add a lot of functionality without adding much weight, beautiful stitching and is just a really well-thought-out design. He has plans for a SUL version without the zipper and a few other weight saving features.

I used it in my hammock this weekend because we had a cold snap and upon waking Saturday morning, it was down to 12 degrees F. I layered it over my 20 degree EE and was warm enough. My tarp was pitched inadequately and it was very windy, I had poly base layers on but I could have done a better job of layering the quilts (my fault, not the quilt's) because I had some shifting during the night when I wasn't covered by both quilts. I really don't plan on doing a lot of cold, cold weather hanging but I could with this setup.

I think it's going to be a great summer quilt. JustBill describes it as a 45/50 degree quilt. I think you could push it a bit lower depending on how warm or cold you sleep, depending on what you wear for sleep clothes and depending on what you use for an under quilt. If anyone has any questions, I can try to address them but, really, you'd be better off talking to JustBill cause he's got all the technical and design knowledge."

Oh, he also has a pretty good quilt trick to use the quilt as a puffy in camp.

And here's the response somebody wrote:

a nice post but seriously lacking on information. where can we see them? how much do they cost? is there a website? Details man! :P

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Thanks orthofingers! Kingsnake ended up with your quilts brother. One of these days he's hoping to get it on the AT and them quilts may meet again

I'm about to start another batch of these if anyone is interested you can reach me at [email protected]

These aren't officially for sale yet but other than a recent tweak to get these to stack better. I made them a hair bigger and added more loops for mating them to another quilt as slippery quilt shells are sneaky things as Ortho found out. So doing a smaller batch or two right now, but these have been in development and testing for three years and just about ready to join you on your next trip.

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    To me, synthetic make a lot of sense for a summer weight quilt (top or under). When it's thin it doesn't bloat your pack and synthetic is , in my experience, better with humid, wet, and sweaty, than any treated down I've encountered.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12