Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    I think you'll need to do some in the field testing.
    If one was allready using an uqp and topcover, do you really think that connecting them together would really make that much of a temp differance?
    Maybe a slight amout but i dont think it will , .
    How much wieght does the extra zipper add to your set up??
    In my personal opinion i dont think i would want one, plus , do you have an idea of what the extra cost to the hammock would be yet??

The zipper on the UQP would weigh about 1.5-1.75 ounces, It wouldn't add anything to the price or weight of the hammock, the UQP would be a seperate item. I suppose it would be easy to make it so that it could attach both via zipper (sock mode) and a more normal attachment method also, and if somebody didn't want the ability to attach in sock mode then the zipper could be left off it to save that weight and you'd just use it like a regular UQP.

As far as temp gain...an enclosure like sock or topcover adds 10+ deg, with a normal UQP I don't think you're getting any temp gain under the hammock, just a windblock rather.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    As far as working within the XLC system, I do see your point of view. However, one obvious downside to me is that if I purchased an XLC undercover, I could only use it with my XLC, where if I purchased (or made) a generic gathered-end UQP, I could use it with my XLC or any other hammock I wanted. The XLC cover/undercover combo zipped together would probably have to offer me a significant performance benefit zipped together in "sock mode" over just zipping the top cover on the hammock in conjunction with a UQP for it to offset that specificity.
    The other UQP you're using, are they full hammock body length or just long enough to cover your bottom insulation?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post

Or perhaps the IRS had decided to give me a refund instead of levying the exorbitant amount they figure I owe them.
    Fedback funds would be nice too! I could use them for spelling lessons

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post
    I'm betting this is aimed at the non DIY crowd. Another selling point for those interested in the XLC, and warbonnet in general. I do agree, depending upon how this works out it could be a tough sell. I doubt many will sell their XLC to upgrade to the sock, and fewer will be interested in buying the "old model" XLC.
    Probably another good reason to make it have a secondary attachment method with option to leave the zipper off.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nathwill View Post
    I like the idea of a zippable bottom/UQP that'd work with the winter top to make a sock. If it had end-loops/clips like the underquilt, I imagine it could also work well enough as a UQP with non-BBXLC hammocks too?

Not sure if the idea is for the winter top to zip directly to the bottom and enclose the hammock, or have some fancy double-zipper attachment. If the latter my preference would be for the double-zipper to be on the new bottom component so it could maybe work with already-purchased BB-XLC systems.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    I'm thinking it would work with the existing zipper to save weight and complexity and avoid putting a second perimeter zipper on the hammock body.

I am thinking a full length UQP though similar to the Wooki, and now probably with a secondary attachment method so it would possibly work on other hammocks of a similar length.

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    I love my XLC but I would also enjoy the option of having my shelf along side another hammock. Just sayin'

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    The other UQP you're using, are they full hammock body length or just long enough to cover your bottom insulation?
    Neither. The UQP is approximately 106" long. My hammock is 132" long, and my underquilt is 80". That gives me ample quilt coverage and only about a foot-long gap between the ends of the UQP and the gathered ends of the hammock. The kicker is the light weight of the UQP, which is under 6 ounces in 0.9 oz Argon 90 or MEMBRANE 15 fabric (8 ounces in 1.55 oz Multicam Epsilon).
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 02-25-2017 at 07:50.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    DD Jungle
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DD UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    Just tossing around an idea, wondering what you guys think...

What if the net top and solid topcover of the XLC could not only zip to the hammock body like they do now, but also to an undercover...so that a topcover zipped to an undercover would make a full sock

Any thoughts or interest?
    Love my WB Traveler. I have a different Hammock that competes against the BB XLC. I've struggled with buyers remorse and have considered purchasing the BB XLC just to do a comparison video.

The idea sounds interesting to after seeing what Dutch has done with the Chameleon. I honestly don't have any desire to get one even though it is an amazing work. Here's my rationale.

Personally, I care a lot about weight because I hike long distances instead of things like car camping or group hangs. As such, I don't like having to carry the additional weight of having a zipping top or bottom cover. Having said that, I love the sock concept for winter hangs in cross-winds. And I'm considering the Warbonnet sock. So I would want to know the difference in the weight between having the top and bottom zips versus having just the sock with its zipper.

I hopes this helps. Keep up the amazing craftsmanship. Don't forget rule number one: HYOH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images
    Topcover plus zip on UQP will certainly be heavier than just the Travel sock XL, but it will also have a shelf and tieouts that the Travel sock doesn't have.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456