Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

My planed Hammocksetup for my AT Hike

My planing my Hammock setup for my AT thruhike in 2018.
    Currently im planing for an Cumulus Selva 600 Underquilt. it weights 870 gram by 850 Downfill and a Temperature rating for -14C.
    My planed Topquilt, also from Cumulus, a Taiga 480. Weights 725 gramm by 850 Downfill an also -14C Temp. Rating.
    I'm using a ENO Doublenest for versatile reasons and a DD superlight Tarp. It weights 460 gramm and is 2,90x3 meter with 16 attachmentpoints.

I start mid February 2018 Northbound. What do you think? any Suggestions?

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    Do you plan on switching quilts out when it gets warmer? You have about 3.5 pounds of quilt for an about 8 degree Fahrenheit rating.

When you ask what we think about your setup it could mean one of 2 questions: a) this is all I can afford with my budget, will I be safe? or b) I just picked these items out of thin air, don't really have a budget, willing to discuss alternatives.

If it's a) then I'd say have fun on your hike.

If it's b) I'd say how much are you willing to spend to have an upgraded experience? Your gear is heavy and inefficient in some ways. There are improvements that can be made for sure but it comes down to as always, how much can you spend.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Images
    I assume that you are asking if that will work for the start of your trip. If that's what you use in conditions like those that are likely to be found in GA through the Smokies at that time of year, sounds like it would work. Those are going to take up a lot of pack space, though. By the time you hit VA, if not before, that is going to be too much quilt.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    in the Moment i only bought the ENO. What Temp ratings would you suggest for a Mid February start on the AT? Cummulus made various Hammock UQ and TQ's.
    Order in the US is very expensive for me,so I thinking about buying a Cumulus product. than I can test it later in the Year.

Tarp
    HG hex 1 grizzbeak
    Insulation
    EE Rev30
    Images
    By about mid may most lows will be 40f and above is a safe bet. February in the southern section you could see some 0f nights possibly colder but probably unlikely. The recommended for ground is 20f. I plan on a 40f uq and a 30f tq if I hit a cold night I will go to ground and use both quilts. I am looking at a April start though. I'd say you definitely don't need that heavy of quilts after mid may. You might wanna consider a 20f set and if its to cold going to ground.
    In the shadows

Hammock
    cheap-o Chi right now
    Tarp
    Re-claimed junk.
    Insulation
    synthetic
    Suspension
    spectra + seatbelt
    Quote Originally Posted by RuneBerzerk View Post
    My planing my Hammock setup for my AT thruhike in 2018.
    Currently im planing for an Cumulus Selva 600 Underquilt. it weights 870 gram by 850 Downfill and a Temperature rating for -14C.
    My planed Topquilt, also from Cumulus, a Taiga 480. Weights 725 gramm by 850 Downfill an also -14C Temp. Rating.
    I'm using a ENO Doublenest for versatile reasons and a DD superlight Tarp. It weights 460 gramm and is 2,90x3 meter with 16 attachmentpoints.

I start mid February 2018 Northbound. What do you think? any Suggestions?
    I think any AT hike will be wonderful so props for getting out there and planning a head.

I think that is a lot of stuff to carry just for sleeping.

I think that you will end up weighing your packed rig multiple times and find ways of lightening your load.
    Mickey Mouse is a false prophet.
    Reno Original Marauder

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    Might think about ditching the underquilt all together and going with a much lighter pad based sleeping system if your budget won't allow something lighter and more efficient

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    there are 20 degree quilts on the cumulus Homepage as well. You can order also costumized. The quilts are build for 1,85 Meter and taller. I sure can shade weight by let them shorten to my 1,68 meter.
    Which brand of under/topquild would you suggest? I don't want to go to expensive because outdoor camping is forbidden in Germany, the use after the AT is limited unfortunately.

Tarp
    HG hex 1 grizzbeak
    Insulation
    EE Rev30
    Images
    I'm very sad to hear you cannot camp there in Germany. I don't really know the import situation but dutch stocks some hammock gear quilts and you could buy it and get it here when you arrive within a day or two I would guess he ships very fast. May have to hang out a day or so before heading off. One option.
    In the shadows

• + New Posts