Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Karla "with a k" View Post
    TrailSlug: Please remember This is a great community where the norm is to support others in their ideas and projects, and not assume offense where none is intended...and therefore not to flame, call names, or create friction in our threads.
    Did I call someone clueless? I was simply making a joke.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    After seeing the trouble Trailslog got himself into i am gonna keep my mouth shut here except to say that i support anything you women want to do here!

Hammock
    trad cotton / yukon outfitters
    Tarp
    silnylon diy
    Insulation
    diy, a mix
    Suspension
    straps to becket
    It might be important to remember that this would be a women-specific thread, not a women only. I'm sure there are some women's topics that men might be curious to find the answers to. But it's not like every guy wants to know which are our favorite underwear that don't ride up, or how do you really use a she-wee....

Hammock
    diy hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY sil-argon
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by jellyfish View Post
    Even the language around hammock camping is biased masculine. Its complicated.
    Can you help me understand?

It might be a matter of perspective, but aside from "guy-lines" (which are not hammock specific as their name carried over from tents) I can't think of an example of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'd quote a certain book, but that is not allowed.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Well, look, Whiteblaze has a separate forum, and we're a derivative of that place. One could argue it makes more sense that WB would have that separate forum for women's hiking/camping issues, whereas the enjoyment of hammocks for hiking/camping is more universal. For one, if a woman asked for a separate forum, I might be inclined first to think there is a need, and inclined second to question whether its practical for the site. I find it a little funny that a man replies there is no need when a woman indicates its a want for them.

Secondly, this site has become a great source of camping info in general. I'd hate to be saying to all females that they need to get gender specific info elsewhere. I guess us males feel like we don't have gender specific info, huh?
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    So a few questions for the woman out there...

1) Would you be happy with a pinned (sticky) at the top of each sub forum except the Market Place where you are free to post woman specific question?

2) Would you prefer a sub forum in the Donating Member area where it is more restricted like the FS area is now and everyone entering must declare they are female? Obviously there is just no way on the internet to actually verify someone's sex so asking them to declare their gender is about the best we could do.

3) And lastly, what hammock (not camping, not fishing, not hiking) items are we all going to discuss? Believe it or not this is important because if the goal is discuss anything but hammocks then the sub forum would belong in the DM area. If you can't tell, I am scratching my head over what we are going to talk about that is hammock related and solely related to a woman. I mean, does anyone make a hammock for woman?

We are looking for input from all the woman out there please.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    diy hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY sil-argon
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Is there gender specific info as it pertains to hammocks and hammock camping?

I can't post about a down hat without the post being carted off to the donating members section of the site.

If the gender specific topics are general camping issues and not hammock and hammock camping gender specific issues wouldn't they belong in the donating members section of the forum?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'd quote a certain book, but that is not allowed.

I'm not a woman, but a women-specific forum seems very reasonable to me, and the Donating Members area seems reasonable. My thought process is that the intersection of women-specific issues with hammocks is probably somewhat limited, but it's a pretty rich intersection in terms of all the other discussions that we have here at HF that may or may not be strictly hammock-related. I camp with my wife (became a camper after meeting me) and three daughters, so this would be helpful for me even as a man to get more perspective on women-specific issues.

I don't see any need for making a declaration about our sex. The population of men who would pay to be DM's in order to spoof a female on a hammock forum is probably slim to none, and we're smarter than that, anyway.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    LL-40/HG 0
    Suspension
    Becket hitch!
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post
    I find the fact HF is not gender specific nor biased very refreshing. When I originally joined HF there were very few ladies. Now I think we are getting close to 1/2 & 1/2 he's and she's with a few gender non specific in the mix. I really like communication with no gender expectations. I communicate with men the same way I do with women. In the normal course of life men and women communicate with their own gender differently than they do the opposite gender. Here it is just person to person. We use things like "Thread Injector" "Build Gear" little things that X out gender, at least in my opinion.

My dad took me camping, my mother hated being outdoors. He had to figure out how to manage a she child camping. He used common sense and we worked it through. My husband was a neat freak, he was not a camper, not even in the park pot luck. I packed up my son and daughter, we went tent camping without him. My son and I worked out his boy needs vs what my daughter and I needed.

I like things the way they are, but that is just one vote. I really like no gender assigning it is fun and makes for freer dialog to my way of thinking.

It has been a couple of years since this subject came up last, so I am thinking it is not all that important to the majority, maybe I am wrong?????
    I don't believe we are trying to exclude men if they want to comment or trying to be biased but there are different issues out in the camping and hammocking world that seen completly different to men and woman. Example.... the big one off the top of my head is having your period on the trail, most men can't handle talking about all the options, and a woman may not feel comfortable asking out right. Personal example for me is when i posted that i sleep frozen 20 men told me what to do but nothing worked till i talked to a woman who had the same problem.

Its just that woman and men have different outlooks on everything, so getting ideas and feedback from the same sex can often help alot more then from the oppisite sex.

Men and women can think in totally opposite ways.

And just cause it will be a subforum for woman doesnt mean you cant go on and make a comment if you wish
    To only step where others have stepped means not to have your own adventures. Live, Love, and Adventure so you may leave your own foot prints!

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    LL-40/HG 0
    Suspension
    Becket hitch!
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    So a few questions for the woman out there...

1) Would you be happy with a pinned (sticky) at the top of each sub forum except the Market Place where you are free to post woman specific question?

2) Would you prefer a sub forum in the Donating Member area where it is more restricted like the FS area is now and everyone entering must declare they are female? Obviously there is just no way on the internet to actually verify someone's sex so asking them to declare their gender is about the best we could do.

3) And lastly, what hammock (not camping, not fishing, not hiking) items are we all going to discuss? Believe it or not this is important because if the goal is discuss anything but hammocks then the sub forum would belong in the DM area. If you can't tell, I am scratching my head over what we are going to talk about that is hammock related and solely related to a woman. I mean, does anyone make a hammock for woman?

We are looking for input from all the woman out there please.
    I prefer just a general subforum, but one saying directed to more male and one directed to more female.

And we dont just talk about gear on here we talk about experiences and how we can make it better. And i personally feel that it is the experience side that is looking for a female male outlook.
    To only step where others have stepped means not to have your own adventures. Live, Love, and Adventure so you may leave your own foot prints!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast