Hammock
    The Purple People eater. 11' DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE SLINGS!
    I've been trying to talk nighthauk into a ladies forum for a while now. The sticky thread was my way of at least starting the conversation. I agree that it is a LOT of information to slog through.

Every year I do a ladies only hike, and the needs and questions are just more comfortable for ladies to ask if they feel safer asking them. Not that you guys aren't safe, it's just about perception. Men however shouldn't be kept out.

Now, I am NOT a normal girl. I'm a tomboy, more comfortable out side than in, I enjoy tracking animals in the woods by myself and own my own chainsaw. But I still understand that regardless of generalities, ladies like a chance to have something of their own.

While I know that WB has its own sub forum, that I've been to, it's not HF. Not even close. HF is a special place.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Chase your dreams without fear or hesitation!

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    So perhaps the answer is to have two subforums: Female Hammock Related (Open Forum) and Female specific non hammock questions (DM area)
    Deb:

I like this proposal a lot. It fits with how things currently are - so fairly easy to implement. I still worry about men's answers taking over questions. (Kinda like what we have seen in this thread already)

At least in the donating section, could we establish a norm that a member starting the thread can request "answer by women only" - knowing full well there isn't a way to police this? I still think having this option should be tried.

Personally, I'd like to see ONLY WOMEN respond to this thread. It's the input from women we need right now to know if/how to continue.

Guys, I know it's hard to just sit on the sidelines, but just watch the action instead of make it this time please. If you NEED to say something to someone, then PM them.
    Last edited by Karla "with a k"; 02-23-2017 at 20:17.
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 99 months

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, LL, AHE
    I thoroughly support and vote for a woman's sub-forum in the DM section. There are topics that women would rather discuss with women, e.g., trail clothing, trail shoes, hygiene, packs, etc. This is a fantastic forum, but it's male dominated and I think a lot of women would feel more comfortable talking with other women. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with men that have answered my questions on here or their suggestions. I think you will have a lot more women members if you do create the sub-forum.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    I wonder why they don't want to be identified as female? Maybe they don't feel safe in a male-dominated environment?

This subforum needs to happen now. With properly strict moderating.
    How exactly will an extra folder labeled "Girls Only" in the General Hammocks forum keep female members from being identified or safe from being discoved they are a girl. If anything it will expose/identify them.

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    I'm having a really hard time suppressing my opinion here.
    I will say this: I have always, in all aspects of my life, learned more from people that are unlike me than like me.
    We're all really very similar but our differences define the edges and on the edges is where we grow.
    Last edited by GreatBigDave; 02-23-2017 at 20:59.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    How exactly will an extra folder labeled "Girls Only" in the General Hammocks forum keep female members from being identified or safe from being discoved they are a girl. If anything it will expose/identify them.
    I too wonder this same thing but please give these ladies a sub forum so we can move on to hammock related exchanges.

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Please don't label anything for "girls". I haven't supported any sub-forum that would be labeled for girls. It seems like semantic arguments are a theme today.

It is bad enough to be called a female (like I am some sort of animal), but girls? Girls are children.
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by Karla "with a k" View Post
    Deb:

I like this proposal a lot. It fits with how things currently are - so fairly easy to implement. I still worry about men's answers taking over questions. (Kinda like what we have seen in this thread already)

At least in the donating section, could we establish a norm that a member starting the thread can request "answer by women only" - knowing full well there isn't a way to police this? I still think having this option should be tried.

Personally, I'd like to see ONLY WOMEN respond to this thread. It's the input from women we need right now to know if/how to continue.

Guys, I know it's hard to just sit on the sidelines, but just watch the action instead of make it this time please. If you NEED to say something to someone, then PM them.
    So what your really saying is " we don't need to solve the problem for you, we should just listen...".
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Tarp
    HG hex 1 grizzbeak
    Insulation
    EE Rev30
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by One-Sky View Post
    I thoroughly support and vote for a woman's sub-forum in the DM section. There are topics that women would rather discuss with women, e.g., trail clothing, trail shoes, hygiene, packs, etc. This is a fantastic forum, but it's male dominated and I think a lot of women would feel more comfortable talking with other women. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with men that have answered my questions on here or their suggestions. I think you will have a lot more women members if you do create the sub-forum.
    I agree with this.
    In the shadows

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jellyfish View Post
    Please don't label anything for "girls". I haven't supported any sub-forum that would be labeled for girls. It seems like semantic arguments are a theme today.

It is bad enough to be called a female (like I am some sort of animal), but girls? Girls are children.
    OK I am locking this thread it is going no where. If you have not stated your position please send Deb a PM.

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast