Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by souperjen24 View Post
    You're welcome, watertooner! I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with a question like this. It seems that everyone around here is so sure of things, like they were born with this knowledge I agree, pros and cons to both methods!

Thank you for this, Paul! Perhaps I will not have any problems getting those lines tangled now with my snake skins, and if I fold that up properly. This is kind of an off-topic question, but I noticed the ridge line of the tarp is yellow. Is this because you changed it out (I'm guessing, just from the few short weeks I've been researching) to a continuous ridgeline instead of what came on the superfly? Also, how long are your guylines, out of curiosity? I've done what WB recommends on the tarp and I've also watched Shug's video about length of guylines.

I think I understand. So when you take down your tarp, you leave the tarp worms hooked onto the shock cord that's hooked onto the tarp tie outs... then you unhook the line from the tarp worms and wrap that around your stakes, storing your stakes and line together, right? I just want to make sure I'm picturing this correctly and when you said "my stakes, lines, tarp worms are all hooked together" you didn't mean that you were storing them together.

This seems to be a popular setup. Is your small continuous loop made with shock cord or something else?

Thanks. This seems to be a popular setup. Out of curiosity, can you explain or point me to a video that shoes that best way to tie the shock cord to the tarp?

Thanks singingcrowsings. I bought this Handy Book of Knots from Barnes and Noble a few weeks ago, it was around $3 on sale. Maybe something you'd get for a kid, but I'm not embarrassed about it... I am a hands-on learner and thought it might be simple enough to work for me I've got to start somewhere.

Thanks for the explanation with Carrico. I still don't really get it, but I'm googling some videos to try to learn. You are definitely not over-explaining. It's a lot of terms for me to learn, and then I have to put the terms with actual real-life objects or actions... it can be overwhelming. Well, it IS overwhelming
    I have my tarp worms on my line. One end of the line is tied to the stake and the other has a simple overhand knot. The tarp worm cannot slide off. I just put the stack in the ground, hook the tarp worm onto the shockcord cord, pull tight, and loop around the tarp worm.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.......

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 11ft Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti3,HG20º,UGQ50º
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    Guess it depends on your tie out equipment. I'd always left the lines on the tarp as I had lines with prussik loops to loop on the stakes. However, my SLD diamond came with line locs - nothing to tie to so it makes more sense to have the line on the stake. If I had fleaz, I'd likely do the same.
    Found the same progression from Prussik and tie to stake for a WB Edge Tarp. When I went HG CF Palace Tarp this Winter, I switched to the Shock cord loop on the Tarp and Reflectic w/Dutch Hookworms that stay on the stake. It does make it harder to loose stakes, I clean them with leaves before wrapping the cord and worms around two stakes at a time to put into the ZPacks Stake Sac.

The biggest advantage of the Hookworms is being able to flip the tarp back onto itself and use one hookworm to hook two shock cord loops from two D-Rings to opposite sides of the tarp. The front side hookworm and guylines stay attached to the stake on the ground; ready for reattachment of the tarp. This saved me on the last trip because the wind was so strong from the south west that I blocked it with the tarp at a nice angle, while sitting and cooking to the front of the tarp without any coverage.

Some have mentioned tying off to rocks. I have pulled a line under a heavy rock and then pulled the stake back against the rock. I also have dropped the rock on the guyline between the stake and the Tarp.

It is a choice based on your personal style and equiptment. Hookworms and Dutch's Video formed by current method. The nice thing about Hammocking is that you can fiddle and come up with multiple methods to accomplish the same purpose. Never boring!

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    So when you say the fleas are spliced onto your tie outs, do you mean your guylines? And you connect your guyline to your stake, where it stays stored?[/QUOTE]

Instead of having them threaded onto a continuous loop of shock cord that's tied to the tie out on my tarp, I threaded them on to my guideline that's attached to my steak. then I can just hook them on to the continuous loop of shock cord that's attached to my tarp tie out ,this allows me to quickly detach them without losing my set point if I want to flip the tarp over to see the stars or what not.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 11ft Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti3,HG20º,UGQ50º
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrico View Post
    So when you say the fleas are spliced onto your tie outs, do you mean your guylines? And you connect your guyline to your stake, where it stays stored?

[/QUOTE]Instead of having them threaded onto a continuous loop of shock cord that's tied to the tie out on my tarp, I threaded them on to my guideline that's attached to my steak. then I can just hook them on to the continuous loop of shock cord that's attached to my tarp tie out ,this allows me to quickly detach them without losing my set point if I want to flip the tarp over to see the stars or what not.[/QUOTE]

With this set up, the fleas are being used just like a hookworm. In these pics the fleas are attached to the guylines and to the stakes (Nail spikes).

When fleas are "spliced to the tie outs", this means that the shock cord loop, Zing-it or the D-Ring/Slit/Key Ring is attached to the flea through the Fleaz hole. The fleas stay attached to the tarp not the guyline. The guyline in both cases is attached to the stake and is usually stored by wrapping it around the stake.

Again, no correct way to do it and personal choice whether hardware is attached to Tarp or to Guyline/Stake. However, the major plus of attaching it to Guyline/Stakes is the ability to flip the tarp over and watch the stars as Carrico states.

Hammock
    DH TB #1832; DW Chameleon; DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gbolt View Post
    ... I switched to the Shock cord loop on the Tarp and Reflectic w/Dutch Hookworms that stay on the stake. It does make it harder to loose stakes, I clean them with leaves before wrapping the cord and worms around two stakes at a time...
    This same setup has also become my preferred method.

Quote Originally Posted by gbolt View Post
    The biggest advantage of the Hookworms is being able to flip the tarp back onto itself and use one hookworm to hook two shock cord loops from two D-Rings to opposite sides of the tarp. The front side hookworm and guylines stay attached to the stake on the ground; ready for reattachment of the tarp. This saved me on the last trip because the wind was so strong from the south west that I blocked it with the tarp at a nice angle, while sitting and cooking to the front of the tarp without any coverage.
    I had never thought of this. Very clever.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    If you don't want to buy some bling and you got some 10 gauge copper Laying around this works good too just like a hookworm. I made these a good year before I found this website or even knew who Dutch was, not trying to rip off patents ;<)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

Hammock
    Dutch 11', Hexon 1.6
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Guylines larksheaded to the tarp and an easily adjustable truckers hitch looped around the stakes. If done correctly, you can retention the tarp without getting wet in the rain. Simple and light, too.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps &amp; buckles
    Images
    I use Dutch's tarp worms with the Dutchwire for the lines and leave them attached to the tarp. I like that it is so much faster to set up and take down my tarp since I don't have to roll up and stow the lines. It is pretty stiff and does not tangle or knot up.

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    stake. This allows me to use one set of stakes for multiple tarps.
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 11ft Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti3,HG20º,UGQ50º
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Eidson View Post
    This same setup has also become my preferred method.

I had never thought of this. Very clever.
    I think I posted this earlier in the thread, and almost messaged you directly... But figured some others may not want to dig either. Here is a link to a Video that shows my set up and at one spot, near the middle, I show flipping the tarp back. You can also see it on Dutch's Website for Hookworms. Here it is: https://youtu.be/IS9Dy4ufoDE

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast