Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Kyle,

Are things still moving forward on this fabric?

Hammock
    Double-Layer 11'
    Tarp
    Realtree w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ - UGQ, UQ - DIY
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by onesojourner View Post
    Kyle,

Are things still moving forward on this fabric?
    Yes. I know the wait is frustrating! We're almost there though. Promise.
    - Kyle

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com | "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon or DIY Robic XL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & CDT TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    2 weeks...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Watching for the announcement daily for my first DIY hammock. After reading post, after post, after post in the forums my plan is for a double layer robic xl with this new hybrid as outer layer. At 200lbs I want to avoid Robic 1.0 long term durability for outer layer, but a 1.7 outer is more than I need. After 5 years of my teenage daughter learning to sew in 4H club and now moving into fabric medium artwork, it is time for her to teach dad a thing or two.

Hammock
    DIY 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly XL
    Insulation
    DIY CDT
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeFan View Post
    2 weeks...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Naw, that's Dutch

Hammock
    DIY 11' Airwave w top cover
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 1.1 XL
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Hooks
    JoeBobJr, I think you are confusing the Robic 1.0 with the HyperD 1.0. the Robic 1.0 has a weight limit of 275 while the HyperD 1.0 has a 200 lb limit.

The Robic 1.7 has a 400 lb limit and is a dream to sew, but if you are looking for a ultralight setup for longer hikes I would go ahead and get some Robic 1.0 while Ripstop still has some stock.

https://ripstopbytheroll.zendesk.com...mparison-chart
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

Scouter_Ken - My approach is from both a durability standpoint and a want for lightweight gear. I had seen that comparison chart previously, which of course made me want what I currently cant have . That is a more durable double layer hammock with a strength to weight ratio falling between the double layer Robic 1.0 hammock and the 1.6 Hyper D with 1.0 Robic inner layer hammock shown on the chart. Reading a variety of posts about fabric failures with the Robic 1.0 and questions of durability has made me hesitant to start a DL Robic 1.0 hammock project so far. Robic 1.7 would be my choice for a single layer hammock as the weight range is more than sufficient, but Robic 1.0 / 1.7 hammock seems like overkill for a double at my weight. I have read that the 1.7 is the easiest RSBTR fabric to sew for hammocks. I want a double layer for the option using of a thin pad or reflective material for a light and compact option in mild weather, versus the bulk of packing an underquilt. I could go with a double layer Robic 1.0 for that but like the peace of mind an improved version of the 1.0 Robic replacement fabric should give for the outer layer. I do want to use the existing Robic 1.0 for the inner layer as I presume its replacement might be a rougher texture, so thanks for the nudge that I should purchase some while there is still stock.
    Last edited by JoeBobJr; 06-09-2017 at 11:40.

Hammock
    DIY GE
    Insulation
    Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DynaGlide UCRs
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBobJr View Post
    Scouter_Ken - My approach is from both a durability standpoint and a want for lightweight gear. I had seen that comparison chart previously, which of course made me want what I currently cant have . That is a more durable double layer hammock with a strength to weight ratio falling between the double layer Robic 1.0 hammock and the 1.6 Hyper D with 1.0 Robic inner layer hammock shown on the chart. Reading a variety of posts about fabric failures with the Robic 1.0 and questions of durability has made me hesitant to start a DL Robic 1.0 hammock project so far. Robic 1.7 would be my choice for a single layer hammock as the weight range is more than sufficient, but Robic 1.0 / 1.7 hammock seems like overkill for a double at my weight. I have read that the 1.7 is the easiest RSBTR fabric to sew for hammocks. I want a double layer for the option using of a thin pad or reflective material for a light and compact option in mild weather, versus the bulk of packing an underquilt. I could go with a double layer Robic 1.0 for that but like the peace of mind an improved version of the 1.0 Robic replacement fabric should give for the outer layer. I do want to use the existing Robic 1.0 for the inner layer as I presume its replacement might be a rougher texture, so thanks for the nudge that I should purchase some while there is still stock.
    Are you making the hammock more than 58" wide? If not, the forthcoming Robic as an outer with 1.0 HyperD as the inner would be really nice as the HyperD is about as soft as I have felt. I only ask because the 1.0 HyperD obviously doesn't come in Wide (XL).

Hammock
    DIY 11' Airwave w top cover
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 1.1 XL
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Hooks
    If you want to reduce weight and bulk, go with a lighter weight fabric like the robic 1.0 and a hammockgear Phoenix (3/4 length quilt).

I have build several single layer hammocks from Robic 1.7 and HyperD 1.6 and don't see any signs of wear. You can make a 11' netless hammock for less than $40 ($32 for 4 yrd of robic 1.0 and $8 for shockcord, etc., keep using same suspension) so I don't see a big issue of I only get a couple of years use from a hammock that I built.
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

Are we getting anywhere near yet? Having a difficult time waiting...

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast