Tarp
    DIY Hexon .9
    Insulation
    DIY quilt/JacksUQ
    Suspension
    Mule tape

(Hammock) Camping with children

Hey community,

I'm jus throwing this out there for some general help and guidance (I'm sure there's more than one thread on this). I am a full time single dad, two jobs, only get to go out 1 or 2 nights max. I desperately love camping, hammock camping, backpacking, anything to get away from the concrete jungle. My almost 4 year old girl loves camping too, the couple times we have gone for one night. Anyone have any tips, tricks, ideas, games, processes that they would like to share with me to help us camping together a little easier for dad? She loves sleeping in her hammock at home, she doesn't have an UQ so she tent sleeps at the camp sites. Anything that anyone in this vast, caring community could share would be appreciated, cheers!

Justin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Blackbird (Single layer)
    Tarp
    Z-Packs CF w/ door
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie / Cinch

Hiya, I have an 8yo daughter. Went tent camping a few times and finally went hammock camping last year.

Things that I thought went well: spreader bar to share single tarp under two hammocks. string Christmas lights that use AA batteries, brought actual food to cook instead of freeze dried stuff. We hike to our spots so I make sure the trail is not too strenuous, there are sights to see and if that fails, bring lots of sweets. I check the weather and make sure there's no possibility of rain in the forecast. Basically I try to make sure her last trip was memorable so she continues going with the old man.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Dutch Print USA!
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better/HG
    Suspension
    Dutch Beetles

When I take my 6 yr old son I try to bring one of his cousins that has the same amount of energy my son does. Our expectations are different. For example, I enjoy relaxing while he enjoys swinging sticks and running around like a savage. I find that if he has a buddy with him they can entertain each other and he doesn't need me to run around whooping and being savage with him.

"Goddam it, you'll never get the Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole! Follow me!"
    -Captain Henry P. Crowe, USMC

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    Yep if you can find the right friend that'll keep your kid entertained without being too needy that works great. also marshmallows, my little girl loves roasting marshmallows;<) hoping to take her out this summer, unfortunately we usually end up sharing a t×@t. Might have to give a spreader bar try in the backyard.
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

Hammock
    Netless + Bottom Entry net
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    I have a 4 year old as well. I've done bunkbed style hanging under one tarp. I do the suspension tighter on her hammock so I don't have to put the tree strap up so high. She'd done fine in a sleeping bag with maybe an extra fleece blanket under her inside the bag, being so little I don't think they compress the insulation too much (synthetic). I've also put her on a pad but she's and active sleeper and ended up halfway under it (don't know how). It helps that she's in a shorter hammock with a zippered bugnet to keep everything together.

I'm looking forward to perfecting our setup some more.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Dutch Print USA!
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better/HG
    Suspension
    Dutch Beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrico View Post
    unfortunately we usually end up sharing a t×@t.
    Hahaha^

I also wouldn't worry too much about UQ or pad. My son is like a furnace when he sleeps. All I did was take a full size 40° sleeping bag, put 550 cord real tight in the middle (cutting the depth in half) and fold the excess back under him. He's slept down to to the 30's and never complained about being cold. I just pack his little pajamas and some wool sock. Little tykes just don't get cold like us adults for some reason...at least mine doesn't.

"Goddam it, you'll never get the Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole! Follow me!"
    -Captain Henry P. Crowe, USMC

Wish there were a way to give a thumbs up alt.thomas; great advice!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I'm concerned that reducing the sag (tighter suspension) would not allow for best comfortable lie. I understand that with the lighter occupant, the increased forces are not so much of an issue. If the child needs to be close, I'd opt to do the "each side of the tree" technique. Instead of running the suspension from the center of the tree, bring it off from the side - left side for one hammock, right side for the other. The tree diameter becomes the "spreader" and allows both occupants to get up independently. But the tarp, if used, may need side pullouts.

I'd also consider a list of things - responsibilities if you will - the child can do to contribute to the camp. For example, hold one guy point of the tarp while you are guying out the other - so you don't pull it over to far. Or let the child put the guy stake in if safe to do (hammering and such). My point is, part of being outdoors is evolving personal responsibility, not being afraid to make mistakes, but learning from them; and being a participant rather than a spectator in the activities.

You could also ask her/him if there is anything specific they like to do/try and, if feasible, make sure that gets experienced. My point to make it, "We went camping." instead of "My Dad went camping and I came along."

Did I mention it's okay to make mistakes as long as you learn from them. I've been an adult for a while now and I still make little inconvenient errors. Which is strange because when I was 14 or 15, I thought I had the world already figure out.

• + New Posts