DIY 1.6oz HyperD GE
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    HG 20, DIY Wooki
    Suspension
    UHMWPE webbing
    Images
    I only did a width differential. I took the pattern from the "hammock" part of the wooki and stretched it by 15%. Unfortunately, the down under my feet is quite compressed. Below 30°F I have to use a foam pad under my feet. Not a big issue, but not perfect. Also, the width differential could be slightly more.
    Recently, I took another thorough look at the original Wooki and recognized that Brandon also did a lengthwise differential. There are two fold on the sides of the insulated area, right beneath the feet. This gives the down more space to loft there.

What I would do different:

1. 20% width differential, one fold at each chamber.
    2. 3% lengthwise differential, one fold in the foot area.

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    Thanks for this info. Still have it in the back of my mind to try a DIY Wookie clone, but the differential question has had me worried.

Will you try another?

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    Looks really sharp. Surprised at the stark increase in additional weight vs the original Wooki. You think that's due to the whipping/attatchement method and added width/baffle?

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    My first wooki copy is still happily in use by my wife - 3.5 inches of loft

Initially I did the same - I had about 20% differential widthwise (plenty) and none lengthwise.

When done and laying in it - the 3.5+ inches of loft became 1.5 inches at your bum.

Dang!!

I ended up putting four I inch pleats along the full width of my clone where insulation is on the inner layer and that created the differential - and all is "ok" - albeit aesthetically frankensteinish

My wife wanted to swip swap her lay in real time so hers was a giant rectangle - I had to cut extra strips of fabric to make the outer shell wide enough with the differential lol. I'm about to redo hers later but will make my own super thick version that like you I will make it about 10% bigger in area and will probably put a ton of loft in this...haven't decided

The trick is the lengthwise differential - I'll likely do 15% on the length though - the baffles will be more of a pain too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC 1.2 double layer
    Tarp
    Kelty's Noah 12
    Insulation
    DIY bottom quilt
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    To the OP, nice looking quilt. What did you use for the baffles, and how big are they?

Hammock
    DIY 1.6oz HyperD GE
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    HG 20, DIY Wooki
    Suspension
    UHMWPE webbing
    Images
    Sorry for answering so late. I had a lot going on lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayak_Medic View Post
    What did you use for the baffles, and how big are they?
    The baffles are made of mosquito neting. Their height is 3.15 inch. They are about 5.4 inch wide on the head end and about 2.8 inch wide on the foot end.

Quote Originally Posted by KBr00ks View Post
    Will you try another?
    At the moment I don't have a definite plan, but I would like to make an improved version. Unfortunately, the first attempt surprisingly has become quite fine, so the motivation for a second attempt is rather low. But it certainly wasn't my last quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn View Post
    Surprised at the stark increase in additional weight vs the original Wooki. You think that's due to the whipping/attatchement method and added width/baffle?
    I just noticed I made a mistake in my post. As you can see on the scale, the quilt weighs 701 grams, including the pack sack, which corresponds to 24.7oz. Thus the quilt alone weighs 24.2oz, not 31.2oz as I originally wrote.
    I have 11.5oz of down in the quilt, 1.5oz more than in a 3-season Wooki XL. This weighs 21.5oz. So my quilt is only 1.2oz heavier than the original, considering the extra down. This difference in weight can be explained by the additional chamber.

Hammock
    DIY 1.6oz HyperD GE
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    HG 20, DIY Wooki
    Suspension
    UHMWPE webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
    When done and laying in it - the 3.5+ inches of loft became 1.5 inches at your bum.

The trick is the lengthwise differential - I'll likely do 15% on the length though.
    You might be right about that. But what irritates me is that the original Wooki doesn't have any darts on the long edges except for a small one at the foot end. This one wrinkle uses about 1 inch of fabric. With a total length of the insulated area of 78.8 inches, this corresponds to only 1.2% lengthwise differential. But maybe I didn't look closely enough at the original. Can anyone confirm that?

On the other hand, since you did plenty of width differential cut (20%), I'm surprised that you also had compression problems. There's some magic Brandon did here, obviously.
    Last edited by echinotrix; 11-29-2017 at 04:56.

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    Very cool. Looks great!

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by echinotrix View Post
    You might be right about that. But what irritates me is that the original Wooki doesn't have any darts on the long edges except for a small one at the foot end. This one wrinkle uses about 1 inch of fabric. With a total length of the insulated area of 78.8 inches, this corresponds to only 1.2% lengthwise differential. But maybe I didn't look closely enough at the original. Can anyone confirm that?

On the other hand, since you did plenty of width differential cut (20%), I'm surprised that you also had compression problems. There's some magic Brandon did here, obviously.
    My wooki has as I recall about total 6-8 pleats along the length of the build.

Each about 1 inch of fabric accounted for so mine at least had a clear lengthwise diff...

It makes sense to me - if you have 50% added width differential - yes the “troughs” between each baffle are fine and loose but at the baffle attachment points they are for that build 3 inches high

What I did on my recent build was cut my outer shell to a larger length and width and fit the baffle material to that longer outer shell then used pleats to fit that longer baffle length to the shorter inner shell ...then used pleats to fit the outer shell perimeter to fit as well.

I have little or no compression now on my second build

Which mine is 23.7 oz with similar parameters as yours I believe - maybe a tad more down maybe - 3 inch high at finished baffles...but higher in between.

I’m gonna re-make the huge orange one I made in January.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    DIY 1.6oz HyperD GE
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    HG 20, DIY Wooki
    Suspension
    UHMWPE webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
    My wooki has as I recall about total 6-8 pleats along the length of the build.

Each about 1 inch of fabric accounted for so mine at least had a clear lengthwise diff...

I have little or no compression now on my second build
    I think it is quite obvious that a longitudinal differential direction is necessary, because there is also some curve here - although not as pronounced as in the transversal direction. With the original Wooki, however, I was not able to see a longitudinal differential cut except for one dart, and the quilt loops perfectly. Very interesting!

@PharmGeek: How did you determine how much down has to go into each chamber? Can you post the links to your forum posts? I can't find them. Thanks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast