SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

3rd annual Green Timbers Hang. Michigan

Ya puts your money down and takes yer chances. The Green Timbers hang has proven to be unpredictable, weather wise, and this year's hang had Mother Nature holding true to her tempestuous mood. 13 adventurous souls laid their bets on the table and risked the forecast. And I never heard any complaints about the weather; big fires and a few strategically placed tarps kept us relatively dry and very warm as we talked and ate way too much food (bacon and such). Kudos to Squirrel bait, our early arrival, for setting up the primary shelter for the group.

The trek in was challenging for most, pulling the pulks across too much dirt and dry patches, but as the weekend wore on, old Mother Nature gave us rain, snow, wind and an impressive lightning and thunder show during a snow squall. Good times! By Sunday morning, the wet snow had frozen up nicely to make for an easy pull back to our vehicles for the ride back to "the real world".

I'll post what few photos I have and let others post and tell as they see fit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Donk_67; 02-26-2017 at 21:18.

Hammock
    DIY Double layer
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    Dogger TQ/ DIY UQ
    Suspension
    buckles
    Images
    Great trip! I was a little concerned with the walk in after pneumonia last week but took it slow and had a great time.

Hammock
    Dogger special
    Tarp
    HG CF 12' camo
    Insulation
    HG Buro & Incu 0+2
    Suspension
    Woopies
    Images
    Great weekend, food and friends. Loaded my pulk in the house hoping I had enough room. The ski addition made a world of difference.

I started my trek on Tuesday around noon, dropped my gear at Hare Trail and Sturgeon Valley Road. My daughter was nice enough to meet me at the trail parking and give me a lift back to my gear.

Had some nice views on the way into camp.

About another 100 yards and ran into one of the dry areas, the skis glided right over it.

Upon arrival where we planned to camp I took the nicest spot I could find and had to clear very little snow.

This was looking toward where the lower cabin once stood.

Here is where the cabin once stood and we made it with the help of previous visitors the new fire pit.

After setting up my hot tent and gathering fire wood for the night I enjoyed the sounds of the woods, ate a mountain house meal and settled in for the night.
    Wednesday morning woke up and made a breakfast to start the feeding frenzy that would not end until Sunday morning.

After eating I made my way down to base camp and put up a two sided shelter to help protect us from the forecasted weather.

Later in the day I was joined by TZ, Bad Winds, and Dogger.
    Thursday and Friday most everyone showed up and the bacon fest began. As usual we had more food than we could eat and unfortunately we didn't get to sample all of it.

As it was said before the weather had it out for us but we made the best of it. We had temps in the 50's then rain, sleet, snow and to top it off thunder snow, this was in a matter of hours. It made for a very interesting few days.
    No one complained about the weather no matter what we were faced with.

Sunday came way to fast. The walk out was 10 times better than going in. Dogger and I headed out around noon, and went back the logging road to the parking lot.
    It was a great weekend and can't wait till the next adventure.
    Life has no remote. Get up and change it yourself!

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    Hennessy Asym Hex
    Insulation
    C Pepper, Wht Clou
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Looks like a great hang. Thanks for the pics and report! You'all up north are some hardcore hangers, I salute you.

Hammock
    Dogger
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Thanks to all you guys for a great weekend. I had a ton of fun and got a good test for my gear. Thanks Donk for driving me out and making sure I actually made it the back way this time. Thanks Squirrel Bait for setting things up for us and, of course, thanks Dave for getting this whole thing started.

Look for a French Farm Lake trip again this Spring, end of April beginning of May.

Dirk

Thanks Don for starting out this years 2017 Green Timbers Big Tree Hang trip report. I'd like to thank everyone who came out and braved Mother Nature's fury. Prize for the longest drive goes to Badwinds (Chuck) who drove all the way from Kentucky, like he did last year. Special thanks go out to Dirk for his surprise that he hauled into camp . We had just about every type of weather over the official 4 days spent in the Pigeon River State Forest near Vanderbilt, Michigan. Here's my setup when I first got out there:

And after we finally got some snow....but that was after the rain, sleet, high winds and thunder that hit us on Friday.

Squirellbaits hot tent that provided coffee at 7:00 AM if you got there quick enough

But, I'm getting ahead of myself. First of all, we had to get there. The Detroit contingent of myself, Thunderarrows and The Pantologist left Clarkston for the 3 1/2 hour drive north in the TA's Jeep & trailer, which had plenty of room for our gear. Turkey arrived shortly after and we all hiked in together.

IMG_5001 by michigan dave, on Flickr

TA and The Pantologist on the trail, looking all refreshed. Not bad since they got up at 3:30 so they could pick me up. Thanks guys!

IMG_5007 by michigan dave, on Flickr

IMG_5002 by michigan dave, on Flickr

There were a few bare spots, but we pushed on.
    IMG_5010 by michigan dave, on Flickr

Once we got into camp, everyone found a place to setup and got organized. Turkey's in awe over his new super sized hot tent.
    IMG_5018 by michigan dave, on Flickr

Thunderarrows (TA) checking out TZBrowns hot tent, complete with picture window.
    IMG_5025 by michigan dave, on Flickr

One thing about this weekend is the tremendous amount of food that is consumed. I think we went through close to 20 pounds of bacon, but The Pantologist cooked up his own Vegan food, that I have to admit was quite tasty...
    IMG_5028 by michigan dave, on Flickr

View from camp, showing the tire tracks from when they removed the old camp cabin this past fall. Soon it would be all covered with snow.
    IMG_5030 by michigan dave, on Flickr

First night snowfall at my hang spot and my neighbors after enjoying an evening by the fire with good friends.
    IMG_5035 by michigan dave, on Flickr

IMG_5039 by michigan dave, on Flickr

Our first night it hit the mid 20's and I was up early and ran into TZ getting his fire going, while I headed to basecamp to get a fire started.
    IMG_5042 by michigan dave, on Flickr

IMG_5043 by michigan dave, on Flickr

House of Dogger
    IMG_5044 by michigan dave, on Flickr

Friday morning's breakfast being prepared my TA (Thunderarrows). Eggs, hash browns, sausage all cooked to perfection in Christo's dutch oven.
    IMG_5046 by michigan dave, on Flickr

Pretty soon things started icing up and the weather changed to a sloppy winter mix with a few high winds tossed in for good measure. Dogger and Christo taking shelter under one of our 3 tarps.
    IMG_5049 by michigan dave, on Flickr

Michigandave's obligatory selfie. I love my Asbell anorak!
    IMG_5055 by michigan dave, on Flickr

Basecamp through the trees and a few more views.
    IMG_5060 by michigan dave, on Flickr

IMG_5061 by michigan dave, on Flickr

IMG_5063 by michigan dave, on Flickr

IMG_5066 by michigan dave, on Flickr

The river out front that provided us our drinking water for the weekend.
    IMG_5067 by michigan dave, on Flickr

IMG_5069 by michigan dave, on Flickr

I don't know how much wood we consumed over the weekend, but it was alot. Everyone pitched in cutting it down and dragging it down to camp in the sleds. You go through it fast when you cut it in 8 foot lengths.
    IMG_5073 by michigan dave, on Flickr

IMG_5075 by michigan dave, on Flckr

IMG_5107 by michigan dave, on Flickr

The weather changes fast and we had a little bit of sleet to contend with. We all just hunkered down in basecamp and enjoyed the time around the fire and eating more bacon and venison sausage fried in bacon fat.

IMG_5111 by michigan dave, on Flickr

IMG_5112 by michigan dave, on Flickr
    IMG_5116 by michigan dave, on Flickr
    IMG_5125 by michigan dave, on Flickr
    Just a quick food rundown besides the bacon: sausage and gravy with cornbread, Christos and TA's farmers skillet variations in the dutch oven and Doggers chicken soup with homemade noodles and his famous bacon cupcakes, TZ Browns chili, fire sale Whitefish by Donk and Turkey, michigandaves sausage n peppers and cheeseburger soup, chocolate chip cookies, brownies...Needless to say, no one went hungry. There was plenty of time around the campfire too.

IMG_5131 by michigan dave, on Flickr

Sunday morning came and it was time to pack up and head out. Luckily, the new snow made it alot easier pulking out than it did coming in.

IMG_5136 by michigan dave, on Flickr

IMG_5139 by michigan dave, on Flickr

Christo's nephew Alex handled his 75 pound backpack like a pro. Ah, to be young again...He's heading off for the Marines in a few weeks, so he said he needed the practice. Stay safe and thank you for your service, Alex.

IMG_5137 by michigan dave, on Flickr

IMG_5142 by michigan dave, on Flickr

Everyone arrived back safely to our vehicles and made the journey back home. Even though the old Cabin was gone, we still had a great time in the woods of northern Michigan. I'd like to announce that the 4th Annual Green Timbers Big Tree Hang will be February 22-25, 2018. Put it on your calendar and hope to see everyone again next year!

Link to album: https://www.flickr.com/gp/152341195@N04/p3nm8N
    Last edited by michigandave; 02-28-2017 at 07:34.

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    Another great trip, Thanks to all that rolled the dice on the weather and made it a great time

The best wood gathering team yet, even before the saw arrival we were well into a big pile of firewood
    So much food

A compilation of short clips https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_skDAXa8eGg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/568443...h/32768876010/

And some pics
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Looks like a good time! Sorry I couldn't make it...late Feb is my usual cold/flu time. Every year

I made it to Coldwater, MI and had to turn around because I was just feeling like crap still. Back home by 6am and back in bed. Then unpacking which is even worse when you didn't get to use it. I won't jinx myself by saying "next year"

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Have to add a few more thoughts: there was so much good food, it's easy to forget some of the meals, but I have to applaud Dirk's Tamales which filled me and really fired up the internal furnace for a warm sleep Friday night (hinting here for a repeat next year. Lol). Also our youngest attendee, Alex, wins the award for heaviest non pulked pack at half his body weight...I think he might have been in training mode for an upcoming endeavor.

Quote Originally Posted by Donk_67 View Post
    Have to add a few more thoughts: there was so much good food, it's easy to forget some of the meals, but I have to applaud Dirk's Tamales which filled me and really fired up the internal furnace for a warm sleep Friday night (hinting here for a repeat next year. Lol). Also our youngest attendee, Alex, wins the award for heaviest non pulked pack at half his body weight...I think he might have been in training mode for an upcoming endeavor.

Thanks for bringing up those tamales. I think it was all in the prep of steaming them over the campfire. The homemade salsa was a nice touch and I'm hoping he brings them again next year. And yes, young Alex, who is Christos nephew. I picked it up and could barely lift it. That thing weighed 75 lbs but on a side note, he said he needed the training since he leaves for the Marines in a few weeks. Be safe Alex and we thank you for your service!

Weather temps for the long weekend ran from 18 to 52 degrees! Huge temp swing but I'll take it over -13 below a few years ago.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast