Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Hey Tlbj, Here is a post from a few months back where I suggested that set up to Climbslaker. I works well and sets up quick if you are wanting a full ridge line and don't want to deal with any hardware.

Older post here
    How much tension are you able to achieve like that?

I think that ability to tension the RL with the Figure 9 negates the weight penalty. Not to mention, the Figure 9 is attached to the 3rd prusik. No chance of losing it.

If you dont like the Figure 9, just use a truckers hitch. Far simpler.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Also... If anyone has a custom idea... Ill gladly mock it up and give you real world results. If something doesnt work, I wont tell you it does. I cant stress enough the custom end of what I do.

Ill even get you down to how much tension you can place on the prusik knot before it slips. If you need another wrap to hold it tight, etc.
    Last edited by opie; 01-25-2010 at 19:12.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rilmoigan View Post
    I'll line up fer that!

BTW, used my ridgeline & tie-outs on Saturday (-5 F overnight hang) IT IS BOMBPROOF!!

There will be video, if I can just get my editing software to work as advertised ...grrr.
    Excellent news! Im glad it worked out for you.

Sorry I didnt have the Grey when you ordered. If you like, Ill gladly swap it out for you once the line arrives.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Full UQ/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Excellent news! Im glad it worked out for you.

Sorry I didnt have the Grey when you ordered. If you like, Ill gladly swap it out for you once the line arrives.
    Deal! -Seeing as it's only been up twice...once when I demoed some of the "cool stuff" with Tinny and this last overnighter. Just let me know. -I am such a sucker for subdued colors...
    "The green earth, say you? That is itself a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day." -Aragorn, 'The Two Towers' by J.R.R. Tolkien

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tlbj6142 View Post
    I just thought of something, what if you added a 4th prusik loop, could you eliminate the Figure 9? We'd have to make sure the last two prusik loops were on each side of the 2nd "tree" and then we'd just use a toggle (stick) to hold both loops together. We would pull the ridgeline through the 3rd and 4th loop's prusik (IOW, slide the pursik loops) in order to adjust the tension/length of the ridge line. Though maybe the pursiks might not be able to hold the tension? No, that shouldn't be an issue as in the current design, we expect the 3rd loop to hold the tension by itself.
    If I'm understanding your suggestion, wouldn't you have to thread the line through the 3rd Prussic and back to the 4th? I guess you could use a toggle on the 3rd, push a bight through the 3rd and a trail stick toggle through the bight. Zing-It/Lash-It/Dynaglide is slick enough it should slide easily over the toggle. How do you suggest securing to the 4th Prussic? In my experience, it is difficult trying to secure a trucker's hitch with slick line like Dyneema, it tends to slip before I can get it secured firmly. Seems like this would be a bigger problem with Zing-It/Lash-It/Dynaglide since it is not only slippery, but small.

I think I'll probably stick to the Figure 9 though since I don't have to thread the line through it, just wrap, pull and wrap again. No problem securing the trucker's hitch using the Figure 9.

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    I think that ability to tension the RL with the Figure 9 negates the weight penalty. Not to mention, the Figure 9 is attached to the 3rd prusik. No chance of losing it.
    Agree. i just had a random thought.
    If you dont like the Figure 9, just use a truckers hitch. Far simpler.
    The problem I have with a trucker's hitch as it always seems to slip just a bit as I'm tying the half-hitch, or two, to finish the job. That bit of slip doesn't happen with a Figure-9 because you are able to keep tension on the line as you cinch it down (place in the Figure-9's teeth), and with "dual-prusiks" you can adjust it after the toggle is in place. But, the later is a bit more cumbersome than it is worth.

Figure-9 wins. Though the link above to the older post should work as well. It is not like there is that much force on the tarp's ridge line. Aren't Figure-9s sort of limited as well?
    Last edited by tlbj6142; 01-25-2010 at 20:38.
    Yellow Jacket

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tlbj6142 View Post
    Agree. i just had a random thought.The problem I have with a trucker's hitch as it always seems to slip just a bit as I'm tying the half-hitch, or two, to finish the job.
    Keep in mind... your tarps ridgeline doesnt need to be guitar string tight.

For the truckers hitch, have you tried going back around the tree before you tie it off? The friction from going back around may help keep the RL tight.

We used a variation of it when I was doing landscape work. Its how we would lash down a load of brush on a trailer. We called it a trailer hitch. However.. Tie a simple noose or strangle snare somewhere in the working end of the line close to your tree. Then run the tail through your loop and reef it tight and tie off.

http://www.realknots.com/knots/noose.htm

Heres one I just did up....

Form 2 loops around your fingers making sure you are using the tail to make then and not the standing end. If you do this backwards, your loop will close up on your line...

Form a bight by pulling the tail through the center of your loops

And set it....

When you are done, this pulls apart by pulling the tail. You can place this anywhere in the line and holds under tension.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    The small metal Figure 9's have a 50 pound rating.

Hammock
    CJK-ultralight
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    3/4 crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I just started using the trucker's hitch on my tarp and im very happy with it.Im also thinking about using the TH on my hammock as well,just to save on weight.
    Hey opie,what type of rope would you use on the hammock?If i go that route.HS

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hikingshoes View Post
    I just started using the trucker's hitch on my tarp and im very happy with it.Im also thinking about using the TH on my hammock as well,just to save on weight.
    Hey opie,what type of rope would you use on the hammock?If i go that route.HS
    Youre probably going to want something with a sheath so it will generate some friction. Ive had good luck with some 5/6mm cord from REI.... Take your pick... Bluewater rope

http://www.rei.com/search?query=bluewater

Or you can grab something with a Dyneema core... I dont have any good links.. but its out there.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast