Chameleon, Netless
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, WB ThFly
    Insulation
    UGQ , HG, WB
    Suspension
    Dutch, Turtle Ties

Question Winter Dream - Internal Pole Mod / Doors / Setup - New User ?'s

Finally!! Used the new Winter Dream 12 last night with the double internal pole setup.. and 1st night to use the UGQ 20deg Flight Jacket. Long story short a new puppy just after New Years interrupted my hanging for a month. She's doing great !!

Back to the hammock'ing...

I have a question on pitching the tarp with regards to the doors and double poles.

Not being sure if I'd pitch the tarp too wide to snap the doors or too loose to have them hang right... I eyeballed the tarp on how I thought it should hang. When I went to snap the doors, they seems tight, but I don't know what too tight is for the snaps? So, your advice on how you setup the WD tarps for proper door tension?

Then installed the double internal poles... same question..... any tips on how you setup the tarp when using the internal poles?

It would appear the internal poles are going to do what they want to do.... i.e. be straight... so there's not much to be done there other than to set your width for the doors, right? When using the internal poles, do you stake more straight down to keep the internal poles at a width you want... as they do tighten up the door snaps further.

Loved both products.. the WD12 and the 20deg Flight Jacket... what a step up from the Noah 12 (a great tarp for the $, but the WD is so much faster to setup with the cat cut and the doors are top notch)... and a step up from using unzipped sleeping bags as a TQ, which really worked well, but this flight jacket with the snap and drawstring around the neck is pretty slick and awesome light / warm!

It's going to be so nice and calm again tonight... might have to setup a bit of porch mode The only trees I have that I can use on my property our out in the slough and it's a bit muddy this time of year with the warm temps we've had.... Feb has been more like spring than winter !

You'll notice from the picts... my Turtle Dog Stand (setup high on this calm 20deg night... I'm 6'3", so like it high when I can !!

Thanks for any comments you have to offer !
    Mark
    20170226_213336.jpg20170227_064400.jpg20170227_064411.jpg20170227_064430.jpg20170227_064506.jpg

Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    My WD12 with dual internal poles just like yours got shipped today, so I'll be lurking on this thread!
    Retired US Navy, 10-year Stage IIIb colon cancer survivor. I believe my last words will be "Hold my beer..."

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    I think it's really hard to explain this but as far as too tight on the door snaps i will try.
    Eyeballing it is how i do it and after awhile you will just know, from looking at your pics i suggest pulling your stakes alittle closer together, not so wide and take alittle of the extra strain off of your door snaps.
    The tarp and stitching on the door snaps is more than adequet and will hold up just fine but in my opinion, why strain it more than you have too, all in all the tarp is well made enough to endure but i like to baby my gear and i would just take alittle more of the strain off of the door if i were you.
    It is an eyeball thing and you will do it in your sleep after a few times out, if you feel that it's too tight then it probably is, loosen it up untill you feel comfy with it.
    Bye the way, congrats on the new tarp, it's a beautiful set up!
    Feels good to have top of the line gear, doesn't it??? Enjoy it and i hope i helped but to be safe just shoot Paul or Missy Lou a pm and ask them, they will be more than happy to help you out, that's what they do!!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 END MODS
    Insulation
    Lynx /FlightJacket
    Suspension
    nylon straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Us5Camp View Post
    Finally!! Used the new Winter Dream 12 last night with the double internal pole setup..
    I don't know what too tight is for the snaps? So, your advice on how you setup the WD tarps for proper door tension?

Then installed the double internal poles... same question..... any tips on how you setup the tarp when using the internal pole mods

Hi, Mark.
    Hang the ridge line, LOOSELY stake the tarp, install the internal poles, then readjust the stakes down tightly. At this point, you should be able to snap the two doors shut with the 12 snaps. If it's too tight on the doors, the stakes need to pull down / in a bit further. Those poles will bend. Don't be too nervous. And, like Zilla mentioned, it'll take a few times doing it, but it gets easier, quickly.
    Those door snaps can't be beat. Velcro just doesn't come close. Plus you can unsnap the the top or second snap, right where your hammock comes through. Total simplicity!
    Regards, Ted

https://youtu.be/64PYY5VkJQ0
    "What's the best gift you can give a kid?
    Happily married parents!"

Hammock
    Clark NX270, 11ft DH Sparrow x2
    Tarp
    WB SF, UGQ WD13
    Insulation
    Z-Liner, 0 Zeplin
    Suspension
    Whoopiex2
    Quote Originally Posted by winterbeard View Post
    Hi, Mark.
    Hang the ridge line, LOOSELY stake the tarp, install the internal poles, then readjust the stakes down tightly. At this point, you should be able to snap the two doors shut with the 12 snaps. If it's too tight on the doors, the stakes need to pull down / in a bit further. Those poles will bend. Don't be too nervous. And, like Zilla mentioned, it'll take a few times doing it, but it gets easier, quickly.
    Those door snaps can't be beat. Velcro just doesn't come close. Plus you can unsnap the the top or second snap, right where your hammock comes through. Total simplicity!
    Regards, Ted

https://youtu.be/64PYY5VkJQ0

Thanks for the vid... That will make my 1st set up alot faster..

I just pulled the trigger on a Multicam WD13 with the double pole mods and a few other things..

Hammock
    Chameleon, Netless
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, WB ThFly
    Insulation
    UGQ , HG, WB
    Suspension
    Dutch, Turtle Ties
    Finally!! Used the new Winter Dream 12 last night with the double internal pole setup.. and 1st night to use the UGQ 20deg Flight Jacket. Long story short a new puppy just after New Years interrupted my hanging for a month. She's doing great !!

Back to the hammock'ing...

I have a question on pitching the tarp with regards to the doors and double poles.

Not being sure if I'd pitch the tarp too wide to snap the doors or too loose to have them hang right... I eyeballed the tarp on how I thought it should hang. When I went to snap the doors, they seems tight, but I don't know what too tight is for the snaps? So, your advice on how you setup the WD tarps for proper door tension?

Then installed the double internal poles... same question..... any tips on how you setup the tarp when using the internal poles?

It would appear the internal poles are going to do what they want to do.... i.e. be straight... so there's not much to be done there other than to set your width for the doors, right? When using the internal poles, do you stake more straight down to keep the internal poles at a width you want... as they do tighten up the door snaps further.

Loved both products.. the WD12 and the 20deg Flight Jacket... what a step up from the Noah 12 (a great tarp for the $, but the WD is so much faster to setup with the cat cut and the doors are top notch)... and a step up from using unzipped sleeping bags as a TQ, which really worked well, but this flight jacket with the snap and drawstring around the neck is pretty slick and awesome light / warm!

It's going to be so nice and calm again tonight... might have to setup a bit of porch mode The only trees I have that I can use on my property our out in the slough and it's a bit muddy this time of year with the warm temps we've had.... Feb has been more like spring than winter !

You'll notice from the picts... my Turtle Dog Stand (setup high on this calm 20deg night... I'm 6'3", so like it high when I can !!

Mark
    20170226_213336.jpg20170227_064400.jpg20170227_064411.jpg20170227_064430.jpg20170227_064506.jpg
    My questions now are similar, but different. I got it down to hang the Winter Dream w/ Double-Internal-Pole-Mod by staking the outside 4 corners in / down to create the optimal tension on the doors.
    However, this results in the lines being pulled almost straight down or even inward to the centerline a bit.

In comes the side wind... in this configuration, there's not much to support for the tarp from side wind. This weekend the side of the tent wanted to bow in seriously. To the point that the poles would even ride back towards the end in the swaying of the wind gusts. I had to tie a line between the arc's of the two poles to keep them from moving between the wind and the tension of the shock cord.

I don't see a way to both secure the tarp to take winds from the side AND provide optimal door tension with or without the poles.

Those that have had more nights out w/ the tarp or UGQ itself.. what do you recommend?

I thought about having an extra loop w/ a Dutch Tarp Fleaz on each corner so I could tie 2 guy-lines at the 4 corners if needed for wind. Thoughts?

Hammock
    Chameleon, Netless
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, WB ThFly
    Insulation
    UGQ , HG, WB
    Suspension
    Dutch, Turtle Ties
    My questions now are similar, but different. I got it down to hang the Winter Dream w/ Double-Internal-Pole-Mod by staking the outside 4 corners in / down to create the optimal tension on the doors.
    However, this results in the lines being pulled almost straight down or even inward to the centerline a bit.

In comes the side wind... in this configuration, there's not much to support for the tarp from side wind. This weekend the side of the tent wanted to bow in seriously. To the point that the poles would even ride back towards the end in the swaying of the wind gusts. I had to tie a line between the arc's of the two poles to keep them from moving between the wind and the tension of the shock cord.

I don't see a way to both secure the tarp to take winds from the side AND provide optimal door tension with or without the poles.

Those that have had more nights out w/ the tarp or UGQ itself.. what do you recommend?

I thought about having an extra loop w/ a Dutch Tarp Fleaz on each corner so I could tie 2 guy-lines at the 4 corners if needed for wind. Thoughts?
    Anybody have the same issue or answer to this problem: Tarp lines INward angle enough to maintain lower door snap tension AND Tarp lines OUTward enough to support tarp against the wind?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

What I do is snap the doors closed before I pitch the tarp, then unsnap them and tie the doors back after pitching. That way, I am reasonably assured once the tarp is deployed, that the doors wont be too far apart to snap shut if needed.

Peace,

Ed
    To understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.
    Email: [email protected]
    FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/EdwardVLeeII

Hammock
    Clark NX270, 11ft DH Sparrow x2
    Tarp
    WB SF, UGQ WD13
    Insulation
    Z-Liner, 0 Zeplin
    Suspension
    Whoopiex2
    Quote Originally Posted by EdLee View Post
    What I do is snap the doors closed before I pitch the tarp, then unsnap them and tie the doors back after pitching. That way, I am reasonably assured once the tarp is deployed, that the doors wont be too far apart to snap shut if needed.

Peace,

Ed
    FWIW, I have just started playing with mt WD, I put it up the same way,,

Hammock
    Bearded Hanger
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    LLG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Anyone know the length of the shock cord UGQ uses for the end poles?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast