Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    Leighlo and JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

BMBH Setup Height and Storage

I'm brand new to hammocking and finally got a chance to set up my BRBH that I bought for my birthday last month. I managed to hang in it without crashing to the ground so I'm willing to consider the afternoon a success .

I did have a question about how high to hang it. I followed the instructions and hung the hammock at waist level, but when I'm in the hammock it seems very close to the ground. I don't have an UQ yet, but if I did then I think it would have been touching the ground. If I hung it any higher it seems like I would have trouble getting in the hammock. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, when I was putting the BRBH away, I couldn't get it folded as nicely as the Jacks had when the sent it to me. Is it better to fold the hammock before putting it in its storage sack or can I just stuff it in there? Will this have any long-term effects that I should avoid?

Do people store their bug netting with the hammock or do you take it off and roll it up separately?

Thanks so much for the help.

Dave-O

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    just stuff it in the stuff sack with or without the bugnet attached.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The webbing, and probably the material, will stretch a bit when it's new. It's low-memory stretch, which means that it won't pop back into place like elastic...so after you sleep in it a few times it'll stop stretching and you won't end up near the ground. Won't take long.

Just stuff it into the sack. Leave the bug net on or take it off if you like...up to you, and it won't mess up anything either way.

Edit - yeah, what Roadtorque said.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    To keep your dirty straps off your hammock I will pass on some advise I once received. Stuff your hammock into the sack leaving both straps hanging out the opening. Then use the straps to wrap around the outside of the stuff sack to compress it smaller. For hanging height, it all seems to depend on how far apart the trees are and how tight you hang it. Sometimes the hammock sits pretty high off the ground while unloaded which can make it awkward to get in. Just keep playing with it and see what works for you.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    The webbing, and probably the material, will stretch a bit when it's new. It's low-memory stretch, which means that it won't pop back into place like elastic...so after you sleep in it a few times it'll stop stretching and you won't end up near the ground. Won't take long.

Just stuff it into the sack. Leave the bug net on or take it off if you like...up to you, and it won't mess up anything either way.

Edit - yeah, what Roadtorque said.
    When mine was new, I had a terrible time trying to stay off the ground. I could only manage it if the trees were the minimum distance. I was contemplating changing the webbing to see if that would help. But it doesn't seem to be much of a problem any more, so I guess something must have stopped stretching. I never did change the webbing, though I do have Whoopie slings attached beside the webbing. So I may someday decide and cut the webbing off.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Zparks Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    marlin/whoopie
    Don't worry about "close to the ground". If you touch the ground then that's a problem. But as long as you are off the ground you'll get all the benefits of the hammock. I hang my bridge pretty low to make it easy to get into and easy to reach out of to grab something I might need.

Hammock
    BIAS WW and DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    Leighlo and JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks for everyone's response to my questions. I really appreciate it!

Great tips, especially the stuffing the hammock without stuffing the straps. I hadn't thought of getting the hammock all dirty that way.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-O View Post
    Thanks for everyone's response to my questions. I really appreciate it!

Great tips, especially the stuffing the hammock without stuffing the straps. I hadn't thought of getting the hammock all dirty that way.
    I had not thought about it until the last group hang I was on. We went to an area that had a large fire go through years ago. There was still a lot of soot on the trees which made a mess of the webbing. I really didnt want to stuff the dirty straps in with the hammock but I lacked the creativity needed to leave the straps hanging out. Someone from this great forum offered that bit of advise.

• + New Posts