Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    I have to agree with many of the statement already posted. I think much of it comes down to cost to get them started. What I do is offer them my spare gear to join me on a hang. Putting together a table cloth hammock with a Fronkey net, PLUQ and PLTQ in the summer for them is really minimum cost.
    I need to do this. I should put together a loaner pack. Great idea.
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, LL, AHE
    I think that they are comfortable with their tent setups, and are content with the feeling of security it offers them, which is absolutely fine. But for myself and I’m sure for many others, once I tried it, I didn’t want to go back to a tent. With that being said, I have enough gear now that I could easily get three set up. I know, I’m a hoarder of hammock gear (I can’t help it). You just don’t know what you’re missing until you try it. So I agree with hangs, there are women who are going to want to see what all this is about beforehand and to get a chance to try it before investing in more gear or making a total switch. It’s a personal choice, and no matter what we choose, as long as we are out enjoying the great outdoors and having a great time, that’s all that matters to me 

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG, HG, EE
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I think it's also a lack of knowledge that hammock camping even exists/is a possibility. Last year I went on my first backpacking trip and 3 other females were there - one was my partner (who doesn't hammock camp, but I'm working on it!), one was my friend who does hammock camp, and the other is a friend who is very outdoorsy, but just uses a tent with her husband. Before I started hammock camping, neither my partner nor my friend with the husband knew it was a possibility.

I think the way to get more women to hammock camp is exposure. I love the idea of a women hang, or a hang where a large subgroup of women will be. I am so new, so I don't feel like I have a lot of experience to offer, but I try to answer any questions my friends have - and they only have questions because they either see me with my hammock or hear me talking about it. I think the key is to get them out there camping and expose them to the possibility of hammocks by having them lay in yours and see what you're doing.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    I've transformed two sisters and two friends. I took myself to a group hang, camped solo, camped with fellow forum members and they became curious about my adventures, so I invited them to a group hang.

The crowd from Alabama made them feel so welcome, shared their knowledge and gear, and even offered to build hammocks. Three new hammockers were hooked immediately.

There is no better motivation than a good night sleep in a hammock and fun with other hammockers.

Charlotte

Thanks for the thread. I solo hike and camp on the AT and use a hammock. I've experimented quite a bit and currently use an ENO single nest. I just bought an Outdoor Vitals underquilt and am very excited to try it out this weekend on the AT in PA. I'm taking my 20-year-old daughter with me. She's hammock camped once with me last year and loved it. Hammock camping has a learning curve, which may deter some. I like playing and experimenting with gear. I also prefer hanging rather than sleeping on the ground or shelter. I've been hammock camping all winter--every weekend--and it's been a challenge but fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I had never really heard a lot about hammock camping until I met a thruhiker at the Devils Racecourse shelter. He extolled the virtues of his Hennessy hammock, so I started to research hammock camping. I now try to get anyone I meet, male or female, to consider hammocks. I think a lot of women don't think about hammocks, because we rarely make the decisions in camping plans. Hammocks are still not as mainstream as tenting. As for me, I love to solo backpack. Hammocks give me so many more options and comfort. I also like the almost unlimited DIY options available in hammock camping; so this does help offset the expenses.

Hammock
    WBBB , Halfwit, Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti HG20 EE40
    Suspension
    Woopies
    I've been hammocking for two years and have become addicted. The Dutch Chameleon will be my third.
    When going motorcycle camping with other female riders I've tried to get them to convert, especially in the mornings when they wake up stiff from a night on the ground, but I can't even get them to lie down in one. They're afraid of falling out, even though they know I just spent all night in mine. Go figure :-)

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Up here in Canada, most people are very ignorant about hammocks for sleeping, never mind camping. Whenever I tell anyone (I've mostly mentioned it to my female friends) about my hammocks (I'm a full-timer in a Mayan and have a nylon one for camping), the very first thing I get is, "Isn't that bad for your back?" Of course I correct them, but then their second concern is, "Isn't it cold?" and again I correct them. So comfort and staying warm are top priorities for them. After they've thought about it for a bit, I get, "Where do you put your stuff?" and questions about privacy. And then there's the lack of being able to "cuddle" factor for those who camp with their significant other, which, along with their lack of vision in the privacy area, is, for many the final "make or break" decision maker. At least that's been my experience with my friends.

Really, I think women who prefer to camp with others tend to question more before trying. For soloists, hanging just makes sense! But then, there's not the privacy issue, nor the cuddle factor.

I agree that finances is an issue, however, I think the lack of frequency that some women camp has to do with how much they're willing to invest in their gear too, DIY time, the learning curve time, or financially.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I do often camp with some guy friends. Privacy becomes a non-issue when you go with others that are respectful of each other. I really am fortunate to have such good backpacking partners. I do know of couples that hammock camp. They have no issues using different set ups while backpacking; comfort trumps cuddle factor for them. I am certainly hoping to do a few more conversions this year.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Palace
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Spiders/Mantis
    I never considered a hammock until I tried someone's hammock and was a believer instantly. Of note, the set up of the two Eno hammocks had visitors from neighboring campsites every time I passed by. It looked liked the guys were holding a hammock class. Most folks, like me, were in RVs, and even the ultimate comfort seekers were intrigued by the hammocks.

Learning about the whole hanging process is great fun, from knots to hardwear, hammocks to tarps, there's lots to keep things interesting.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast