Hammock
    Diy/ ENO
    Tarp
    ENO
    Insulation
    DIY costco quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ENO Atlas
    For me it was easy, but my gf keeps talking about her fear that it won't hold her. She's well well below the weight limit, but I think it's a mix or fear that she'll fall and fear of change.

Raised in Maine, student at Slippery Rock Univ.
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    COGS Winter
    Insulation
    Down TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by XheartlikeagunO View Post
    For me it was easy, but my gf keeps talking about her fear that it won't hold her. She's well well below the weight limit, but I think it's a mix or fear that she'll fall and fear of change.
    I can understand that fear, but if I set up my own equipment and know what is happening, I find that helps a lot.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 04-24-2017 at 18:08.
    Music is the universal language of mankind
    -Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Hammock
    Tribe, RBTR AH, GTUL
    Insulation
    AHE, Snugpak
    Suspension
    June Bugs, webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by XheartlikeagunO View Post
    ... I think it's a mix or fear that she'll fall and fear of change.
    It took me a couple of nights of hammock sleeping to be assured that I wasn't going to launch myself out of the hammock during the middle of the night. I started by sleeping indoors with a hammock stand and I put some pillows underneath in case I did roll out. What helped me through the transition from mattress to hammock was that I was open-minded about it, despite never being in a camping hammock before. I was intrigued and a little anxious, but not fearful. Also, I trusted the people on this forum who said that it does take a little adjustment. The good night's sleep was a great convincer. I've found that when trying something new, baby steps are key, so perhaps afternoon naps to start with? Bottom line, though, you can't get someone to try something new if they don't have the willingness. Maybe lead by example: attraction vs. promotion. I'd love a nickel, though, for all the people who tell me that it's impossible to sleep in a hammock without waking up in pain, despite them not having any experience with hammocks. LOL.
    Find your inner hammock.

Hammock
    HH / DD
    Tarp
    HH Hex / DD 3x3
    Insulation
    DD underblanket
    Suspension
    original
    Another question is "Is there a need for getting more women into hammocking?" I mean I'm all for helping people discover the joy of the outdoors, but unless you're hoping for more "female-specific" gear (whatever that would be!) why push people?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    COGS Winter
    Insulation
    Down TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by SaraR View Post
    Another question is "Is there a need for getting more women into hammocking?" I mean I'm all for helping people discover the joy of the outdoors, but unless you're hoping for more "female-specific" gear (whatever that would be!) why push people?
    I think it is just so that when women go on one of the trips like NEHHA, they do not feel like the ratio of men to women is 20:1
    Last edited by OutandBack; 04-24-2017 at 18:08.

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by SaraR View Post
    If I wasn't pushed into hammocking, I would have never tried it. And now that I know it, I love it and have been hanging every month since. Thanks for the push everybody!
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 99 months

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    COGS Winter
    Insulation
    Down TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Karla "with a k" View Post
    If I wasn't pushed into hammocking, I would have never tried it. And now that I know it, I love it and have been hanging every month since. Thanks for the push everybody!
    Good point, I was a skeptic at first too!
    Last edited by OutandBack; 04-24-2017 at 18:09. Reason: remove Proverbs 31:25

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dynema Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator Econ 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    [QUOTE=artgirl42;1775355]I think it is just so that when women go on one of the trips like NEHHA, they do not feel like the ratio of men to women is 20:1

I completely agree. I just started hammock camping because my 8 year old son wanted to 'sleep in the trees', but my husband isn't a big camper. So I'd love more kid friendly hangs with a better male to female ratio.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20 deg UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    [QUOTE=Nicola;1775363]
    Quote Originally Posted by artgirl42 View Post
    I think it is just so that when women go on one of the trips like NEHHA, they do not feel like the ratio of men to women is 20:1

I completely agree. I just started hammock camping because my 8 year old son wanted to 'sleep in the trees', but my husband isn't a big camper. So I'd love more kid friendly hangs with a better male to female ratio.
    Well, just showing up is the start, and then telling your friends about it and having them come to a hang too. My friends and I have been big outdoors people doing multi day wilderness trips since we were in college and almost all of my friends male or female look askance at hanging, partially, I think, because it involves spending more money....Also, they are in pretty good shape and have no pain sleeping on the ground so if it ain't broke don't fix it.

The women who are intrigued with hanging are the next generation.. my friends' kids. Two girls who are in college now are interested and I could see them getting into it esp for backpacking. I hope they do get into it! Hope to see you all at a hang.

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cham102 View Post
    This does seem a little harsh but I will write it anyway.

I am not your leader. I don't speak for any woman but myself. I'm not just a hammock hangar but also an accomplished bushwhacker and bushcrafter. I really don't want to go into the woods with anyone, man, woman or child. I don't want to hear you whine, that you don't feel safe, you have to leave early to meet your boyfriend or do laundry. I don't want to hear your instructions on the proper way to do anything either, I'm out here on a monthly basis and you aren't. I don't want to hear you answer your cellphone, or post on Facebook about what a great time you are having with me. Please don't take a picture of me, I haven't combed my hair in 3 days and I'm filthy. Your politics are probably not my politics, and I don't want to listen to you. I go out into the woods to get away from all that for a couple of days to recharge. If you want to hammock then hammock. If you want to tent, then tent. Heck, don't do either and pay close attention to the weather if you want, sleep out!
    I am not sure who your audience is for this.
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast