Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I would suggest getting a 3/4 UQ and stacking that over your wookie. Synthetic 25° quite can be had relatively inexpensively......I with mention a name, I'm sure you'll find it

I've gotten by with a similar setup but, as others have said, you sacrifice performance from both.

Images
    You'd need to make sure the outer UQ doesn't compress the one underneath it, too loose and it will not work so well, too tight and you compress the Wooki under it and that defeats the purpose

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    You'd need to make sure the outer UQ doesn't compress the one underneath it, too loose and it will not work so well, too tight and you compress the Wooki under it and that defeats the purpose
    Definitely!! But it does work, been down to -20° stacking UQ's. Ideal? No Does it work? With a proper setup, best accomplished with a helper, yes. In my experience is a much better option than UQ and pad, I've done both....

Hammock
    Dutch Half-wit Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Clark XL Tarp
    Insulation
    Wookie/UKH custom
    Suspension
    Dutch kit
    Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post
    Definitely!! But it does work, been down to -20° stacking UQ's. Ideal? No Does it work? With a proper setup, best accomplished with a helper, yes. In my experience is a much better option than UQ and pad, I've done both....
    I sold off all of my other UQ's and went with the wookie. I've got a request at Brandon to make a Scandinavian Winter Wookie but agreed that I need to survive this weekend's trip with my 3-season wookie and report back how it went. Once I have both a Scandinavian Winter Wookie and a 3-Season Wookie, I'll try to find a -40 night and stack them to see if that could work

But for this weekend I've packed a close cell foam pad to keep by my hammock should I wake up too cold. I've also got expedition grade thick double layered merino long underwear, and extra pair of slacks, ready for 3 layers of merino on top as well as a super warm fleece shirt, a down puffy, double balaclava's and double down hats ... so I think I'll manage without the pad. At least I feel super prepared

Hammock
    GE ; RR ; Vertex ; Tentsile
    Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images
    You probably have a thick jacket and maybe some warm pants when camping in wintertime.

I personally put these in between my UQ and the hammock if it gets cold from underneath at night. Even if it is down, if compressed, down warms up pretty well.
    And if it is still cold, I wear them in the hammock.
    Maybe not ideal in terms of comfort and warmth barriers, but it does warm me up enough for these one or two unusually cold nights, and I don't have to carry a pad on purpose.

Well, I guess it is an idea anyone could have had out of desperation at night.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12