Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    I've slept without in the teens with little trouble, but prefer one. I really like to use it for anything under 40 degrees. It just makes it slightly more enjoyable. Over 40 it left at home. It is NOT a necessity, but an enjoyable plus at times.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    I've been using a Dutch winter sock for almost two years, it has become a staple in my backpack. Even after upgrading my tarp to a Superfly I still use it almost every time, unless the weather is really nice. It adds an extra 10-15 degrees, completely stops the wind from robbing warmth from your underquilt and I really enjoy the fact that it keeps the Sun out of my eyes in the morning allowing me to sleep in, which is why I primarily go backpacking for rest and relaxation, to get away from a busy family life and the hustle and bustle of work.
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    CF Standard
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar BH
    I had a WBBB XLC and used the winter cover a few times. I really liked it and didn't have any condensation issues. I was surprised actually to hear people talk about that on here, but I probably don't camp as cold as others do. It was easy to vent too.

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    Zpacks CF, WBSF
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ WBB 0 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide WS
    Images
    My son is on his AT thru as we speak. He's battling with the AT mist / fog and potential dampening of his UQ. Gear: 20F 900 fill FL UQ, 0F 900 fill TQ, open gather end 11ft hammock, 12 foot CF tarp with doors. He's very weight conscious with many more miles to go. I suggested he pick up a mylar space/emergency blanket and hang below and snug to the UQ (without loft compression) for those particularly foggy / misty nights. Other options might be to seam seal the exposed seams. Any other suggestions for a quick fix available at an AT resupply town would be greatly appreciated. He'll be at unckle jonnie's at Erwin this week.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    In a couple of experiments posted here and here I measured that my overcover adds about 15° to ambient temperature. One of those nights was at -12°F. In general I use my overcover in two situations:

1. It's Spring/Fall, lows will be in the 30s and it's going to be windy and the overcover is lighter than my big tarp.
    2. It's going to be cold enough that frostbite is a possibility and I don't want to sleep in a full face mask. So the extra 15° will bring the ambient temp of my exposed face up to a safe level. That usually means it's winter and the low will be below 20° F.

I have a friend who brings one to campgrounds even in Summer and sleepes with it unzipped but zips it up for some privacy changing in the morning. That's a use too.
    Last edited by Grumpy Squatch; 03-07-2017 at 21:11. Reason: Spelling
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I have two socks, one a Spindrift, the other is dor a GE. My Spindrift is the double door, I use it year around. I just adjust the doors to the conditions, works great for me. I often take a minimal tarp, we are in a area that has a lot of rain.

Hammock
    DW Half-Wit / DW Netless / Darien
    Tarp
    HG - Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    enLIGHTened-T/HG-U
    Suspension
    Spiders / WS
    I use a winter sock from Dutch. Only when 40 degrees or lower. It does really help hold the heat in and block the wind.
    Here's a pic of the setup from a trip last weekend on the AT. Temps were in the teens and the wind was blowing. First time I've used a shelter to get away from the wind....the posts are just a tad to close together for proper hanging of the hammock.
    DSCN3986.jpg

DSCN4038.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12