Too many to list
    Tarp
    Diamond/Rectangle
    Insulation
    Onewind/sleep bag
    Suspension
    spider loops

and another new guy from Michigan

I've had my Bear Grylls hammock (bought on sale at REI) for a couple of years now and other than testing it out I haven't used it on an actual backpack. I'm now preparing for the upcoming summer and figured that hammock would be a good way to get my foot in the door again.

I had a rather unsuccessful hammock camping experience about 35 yrs ago (crappy, cheap, small net hammock, small trees) and while I've always liked the concept of hammocks for backpacking, it's taken me this long to get back into them again.

I'd appreciate suggestions for the rain tarp. What I have in mind is a budget tarp, it can be either manufactured or one of the kits I've seen online. Budget is important. Some other considerations, I'd like something in a 3 season design that provides a lot of coverage though rectangle, diamond or hex shape don't matter as long as it works. Is any style considered more wind and rain resistant than others?
    How about the cat cuts, do they provide a benefit besides being stylish? I guess a less important consideration is that I want to be able use the tarp when sleeping on...on...the....um...on the ground like a common troll. Only for use in treeless desert environments mind you!

Any help pointing me in the right direction is appreciated as are your experiences. I've seen lots of cool stuff on this forum already and hope that someday I might contribute.

Welcome to the forums from the hills of northern Oakland County, not far from Pine Knob. There is lots of great information in the forums that I'm sure will help answer your questions. You could also attend a group hang, meet other like minded folk and get a chance to see a variety of gear in action. Happy hanging!

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Hello and welcome from Marietta GA.

First, I'm not sure how tall you are but with a name like "BigBill" I'm assuming you're not very short. I don't know the specs on your hammock, but if it's not at least 10' you might want to consider another option for an overnight. Or at the very least, hang it in your back yard and sleep in it overnight to see if you can get a comfy night's rest in it. (back yard testing is a good idea for all of your backpacking camp set-up items, btw) Also, you didn't mention insulation at all, so that's a consideration as well.

As far as tarps go, if budget is important a Kelty Noah's Tarp 12' is relatively inexpensive, especially if you shop around for it, pretty bomb-proof and very versatile. One down-side is that it is a little heavier than some of the other options, but I have backpacked with mine multiple times and I didn't die or anything.

Keep browsing the forums, ask questions and soak up the info. Good luck and happy hanging!

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Diamond/Rectangle
    Insulation
    Onewind/sleep bag
    Suspension
    spider loops
    I'm 6'4" and not quite slim yet but getting there again. My Hammock is a 10 footer.
    Unfortunately there is no good way of testing it in the yard but judging by experience of setting it up in the woods it is definitely more comfy than the ground. I'm willing to risk a bad night in it on a trip. Heck, when sleeping on the ground it was normal not to sleep at all the first night, how much worse can it be to hang? lol

Thanks for the replies and the heads up. I might have to try a "stealth" camp one night to test it out properly.

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    I'm hosting a hang in Hale, Michigan on July 7-9. You should come!
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 99 months

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Diamond/Rectangle
    Insulation
    Onewind/sleep bag
    Suspension
    spider loops
    Quote Originally Posted by Karla "with a k" View Post
    I'm hosting a hang in Hale, Michigan on July 7-9. You should come!
    I'll try to keep that in mind. Thanks

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Welcome from Northern Arkansas!

Hammock
    ENO
    Tarp
    a work in progress
    Oakland County here (Troy area) If you hear of other " local " hangs please let me know. Always looking to compare set-ups

Hammock
    DreamHammock Sparrow Symmetrical
    Tarp
    DD XL with doors
    Insulation
    SMR inferno UQ
    Suspension
    Daisy Chains
    Images
    Welcome from another Michigander
    Dave

• + New Posts