DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf68 View Post
    Morning Eidson,

Can you tell me what all gear you have there in the first picture?

Also can you give me a basic description for a pattern on the Gear Hammock? Trying to get some stuff made up for a 4 sets of hammocks for on the AT this year.

Thanks
    Chuck
    I meant to get this measured earlier, but my finished sling dimensions were 54"x48". I think you have plenty of flexibility if you're somewhere around this range.

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I have a few I've made. Depending on the hammock use I've made them different sizes ... some as small as 1'x2' that are basically just big enough to hold my pocket clutter and a Gatorade bottle in my lounging hammocks up to 3'x5' for my overnight hammocks.

I did discover a 'bad' side effect of the microsized one this weekend. It was so windy that even with my rather large keyring full of keys inside it was able to be upset by the brisk wind we were having. It dumped my keys back into the hammock twice during an hour long lounging session. That little gear hammock looked like a kite at times. I may make one from mesh and see how that behaves.
    Last edited by geneaut; 03-26-2018 at 10:33.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5'
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    CDT UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGe...arHammock.html

I pretty much copied this shot for shot. The only departure I made was I used two pieces of shock cord rather than one continuous length. One continuous piece of shock cord was really difficult to work with if I wanted to scrunch it up and use it as a pack cover. It hangs under my hammock, with a simple zing it line suspension

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon, DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex, DIY
    Insulation
    HG, DIY
    Suspension
    Straps, Beetles
    Images
    I don't like having to put my pack under my hammock or hanging from a tree, so I decided to just run a SEPERATE ridgeline, and hang my pack from it. I can just slide it to the foot end of the hammock at night and it does not interfere with my lay, then just reach out and slide it next to me to access my pack. Keeps the pack off the ground, under the tarp, and everything at hand.image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrico View Post
    You sleep with your coffee? But the bears will get ya lol;<)

I used a 2'×3' piece of treated ripstop, put a large hem on all four sides leaving two diagonally opposite Corners with an opening, ran zing it through the whole perimeter pulling the loops out of the diagonal corners and then put toggles on the loops. You have a pack cover / ground cover / gear hammock.

"By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking..."

I like your footer quote....brilliant.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    What keeps me dry
    I use an old nylon fishnet type hammock underneath. I can put boots in it and the water, dirt just falls through. I put my backpack in it so I can grab stuff without it being on the ground. This was at a Boy Scout camp 2 summers ago.IMG_20150725_062529_422.jpg
    Without Tea, there is nothing but darkness and chaos.....

Hammock
    Trail Lair/LSOH WarriorUL
    Tarp
    ManyFly's/HG WP
    Insulation
    HG/Speer/WB
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by 100 Ton View Post
    I don't like having to put my pack under my hammock or hanging from a tree, so I decided to just run a SEPERATE ridgeline, and hang my pack from it. I can just slide it to the foot end of the hammock at night and it does not interfere with my lay, then just reach out and slide it next to me to access my pack. Keeps the pack off the ground, under the tarp, and everything at hand.image.jpg
    Awesome! Never thought to do this.

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    I'm planning to make a gathered-end gear hammock, and prussik it to my ridgeline. I plan to position one end at the head-end apex, and the other end more or less above my head.

The weird par; one of the ends will be convex, so that when gathered it creates a deeper "pocket" at that end. That end will go above my head.

Here's my very professional design drawing

gear-hammock.jpg

Options I'm considering:

1. Make it out of no-see-um, for reasons of weight, but also to be able to see what's in there when I'm lying in my hammock.

2. Knotty mods to stop things falling out.

3. Attaching the sides to the side of my actual hammock, to keep it centered and stable (like the way the Dutchware peak loft is attached to the side of the hammock)

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by Baka Dasai View Post
    I'm planning to make a gathered-end gear hammock, and prussik it to my ridgeline........
    I went ahead and made this. The convex end turned out to be too troublesome, so I didn't do it.

The result - it works great, but a little differently to how I imagined. I sling the gear hammock reasonably tight to account for the stretch in the noseeum. Items in the gear hammock sag down low, despite the tightness. There's no need for knotty mods cos the three layers of material in the long seam are naturally tighter than the stretchiness of the single layer. I can throw my phone, my kindle, my wallet, a knife, a water bottle, a jacket, my top quilt...anything really, and it all stays there and is easy to retrieve, and doesn't get in the way of my head.

I like it much better than ridgeline organisers that require me to slot my stuff into narrow pockets. This is more "throw it up there", and yet whatever stuff I throw in is no harder to retrieve than fishing it out from narrow ridgeline organisers pockets.

It's about 105cm long and 60 cm wide. Those measurements were my initial guess based on dangling a cloth tape measure from hammock apex to, and turned out approximately right. If anything I could have gone a bit wider; 65 cm or 70 cm.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast