DIY 1.6oz HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Cat
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Dutch

Underquilt Extension

A couple weekends ago I spent the night in around 0°F with a Torso length 20° Crowsnest (One of the old ones from when Stormcrow first started). I had an extra down throw that I stuffed in around me in addition to my regular top-quilt. With some arrangement, I managed to spend the night both comfortable and warm.

This had me thinking that I might look at making an extension for the Crowsnest. That would attach to the end of it and provide some extra length down to my feet in times when I know I will need it.

I've done some searching around and haven't been able to find any one else who has done anything similar. Am I off base on the idea? Or am I just searching for the wrong thing?

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Most people carry a pad to throw in the hammock when using a short under quilt or have two quilts a long and short depending on the weather. You should try this though to see if it works for you. I'm guessing the gap at those temps would allow too much cold air in and not be functional.

Hammock
    DIY 1.6oz HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Cat
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Dutch
    I think I can make an extension that doesn't leave air gaps. I also use a torso length pad at my feet, but I'd like to toss that weight if possible.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have put two partial UQs on before end to end to create sort of what you are talking about. Worked well enough.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    I've tried the layered approach with some success as well. A bit different than shug's approach.

3_layer_01.jpg

Hammock
    DIY 1.6oz HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Cat
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Dutch
    I should have guessed that Shug would have. I think that is close enough to what I am looking for. I just need something additional from the legs down. Thanks for letting me know that I wasn't completely crazy for even thinking it.

Hammock
    DH TB #1832; DW Chameleon; DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    I have come across your idea here on the forums before, but I can't seem to find the thread in which it was shown. Maybe I'm just not getting the right search terms, but someone had diy'd a detachable quilt extension section. I cannot recall the specifics, but remember reading over the ideas and discussion in the thread and I liked the idea. I'm disappointed I didn't bookmark it and can't pick it out for you, but hopefully someone can point you in the right direction.

Hammock
    DIY 1.6oz HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Cat
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    I've tried the layered approach with some success as well. A bit different than shug's approach.

3_layer_01.jpg
    I've thought about the layered approach. I did get a small amount of CBS, but I think that was because I needed to adjust my UQ a touch. It wasn't enough to get me out of the hammock to adjust it. I am still thinking about adding a layer to go over my burrow and that I can also use for when it's too warm for the burrow itself. Then I still have the option of the pad that I'll bring along if I'm not trying to pack it all on my back more than a couple miles.

Hammock
    11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Had kicked around an idea with another vendor at one point about a sectional quilt design. Had it all figured out but couldn't get all warm and fuzzy about the project.

Hammock
    DIY 1.6oz HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Cat
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by georgecarr View Post
    Had kicked around an idea with another vendor at one point about a sectional quilt design. Had it all figured out but couldn't get all warm and fuzzy about the project.
    Yeah, I'm not sure I see this as a great retail idea. I'd like to hear/see a little of what you figured out, especially if you decided not to run with it.

I mostly make my own gear these days. Been doing so for almost a decade now and am willing to risk new ideas. I've got a bunch of old down quilts (actual down, not feathers) that I got from an estate sale a while back. I think I might try some designs with synthetic first and see how they work out in the back yard before spending the time and materials with down.

I'm thinking that I might want to add a bit of a lip to the extension so that it overlaps the main UQ but not to the point that it compresses it at all. Perhaps something that clips into place using the existing UQ suspension. I'll post pictures when I get off work.

• + New Posts