Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

2/3rds UQ... need suggestions on keeping feet warm

For Christmas, I received a Lost River 2/3rds underquilt. It's nice and warm on my back, but stops at my knees.

I tried a cut-down pad, but I flop around too much and have to keep re-positioning it, making for a long night.

Any suggestions?

I have a bunch of reflectix, and was thinking of using velcro to attach it to one side. I'd like to know what YOU use to keep your feet warm with a partial underquilt...

Thanks!

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    What i've been doing it putting my UFP (underfoot pad) inside my underquilt.
    The underquilt has a sewn footbox that holds the UFP in place. The UFP sticks out of the footbox and extends to my knees-where my underquilt stops. For me works like a charm. I will say that I don't move around much after falling sleep.
    Eventually some entrepeneur will make a footbox on an underquilt that has a sleeve to insert the UFP into furthering its ability to hold the pad in place.
    Doing the insert thing has allowed me to trim down my UFP `has to, to fit` but it's still plenty big to be useful as a sit pad during the day when lunching or viewing. I've even used it to put the canister on to help it warm up.
    It's shape like a triangle but with a square end, and obviously wider at my knees.
    Last edited by MedicineMan; 01-12-2010 at 02:12.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Like MedicineMan I don't move around too much when I sleep. Putting the pad in the footbox of your topquilt does work pretty good, assuming you are using a quilt. I've gone to pretty much only using my pack under my legs. It gives me a nice knee-break while serving very nicely as an insulator. Helps if your pack is not an external frame.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap
    I personally don't like the feel of the pad or pack under my feet, so I am thinking of making a Insultex full length UQ that can be used with a 2/3 UQ when I get one. That'll cover the leg part. There are alot of options these guys on HF have come up with.

As I type this, a thought came to mind... make a 1/3 insutex (or any other material) UQ that connects to the end of the 2/3 UQ and can be folded onto (or removed from) the UQ when not needed, and connected/folded out and hung to cover the foot portion when needed... kinda like the JRB Mt. Washington Convertible. ummmm now is there something like that out there yet?
    Last edited by Harpo63; 01-12-2010 at 09:57.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I hadn't thought to put a pad inside my "quilt" (i use an almost-too-small mummy bag as a top quilt for now; once i recover (financially) from the holidays, I'm considering a TQ project.) The foot-end of my bag is held closed by the zipper being safety-pinned in place. I'll give that a try.

I have a messed up shoulder, and tend to snore on my back, so I find myself switching from my back to my left side as I sleep in the hammock.

Worst-case, I can safety-pin it in place until I come up with a more permanent solution. I had thought about installing grommets in a ccf pad, or sewing in velcro patches as attachment points to tie it to a TQ, or the hammock.

Interesting thought on the 2/3rds UQ extender... I have some Insulbrite laying around, I might give that a try... it should connect quite easily to my UQ by tying to the existing tie-outs and suspension. A space blanket (though noisy) might even work...

Thanks!

Hammock
    Modified ENO Single
    Tarp
    DIY ???
    Insulation
    Quilt & Sleep Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    For Christmas, I received a Lost River 2/3rds underquilt. It's nice and warm on my back, but stops at my knees.

I tried a cut-down pad, but I flop around too much and have to keep re-positioning it, making for a long night.

Any suggestions?
    What about sewing a small sleeve or pocket of fabric into the hammock that you can slide you pad into so it does not move around?

That's what I plan on doing with my setup.
    Some of my freight hopping adventures on film over at my YouTube Channel... Oh and there is other stuff there as well!

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    8x10 cat silnylon
    Insulation
    thermarest w/ SPE
    Suspension
    Speers straps.
    try thr jacks r better sleeves. can be used on feet & lower legs ... hear southeastern backpackers podcast with jolly all about gear.

• + New Posts