WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap

Insultex between layers of WBBB

Can't seem to find the recent threads on this topic, so here is the update on trying layers of insultex placed between the layers of the BB dbl.

First test, a single layer of IX did not keep me warm at all. Tried 3 layers as suggested last night- it was a wee bit warmer, but still ended up with a chilly backside.

I've concluded that you really need a little more airspace with IX- Thats why it seems to work best as an UQ. However, I have a old DYI fleece sleeping bag (top folds over and snaps- no zippers) with a waterproof nylon back. Its pretty thick and the nylon is stiff enough that the whole thing keeps its shape and could work well in this situation between layers of the double. Ill try that and add insultex. Probably dont need the insultex as the fleece is plenty warm, but could increase warmth if it was cooler out... Granted that set up will only be for car/backyard camping due to its bulkiness and weight... (Unless Arlo and Spike pack it for ya on the trail!)

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    This is exactly the application I have in mind for IX...I'll be watching with interest, and thanks for your testing/reporting.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

That insultex seems a bit overated. -20 degrees for one layer probably isn't very realistic. But I've read that divers liked it under neoprene suits. Anyone knows how it compares to thinsulate?

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7 Leftie + Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY Artic KaroStep
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Images
    Harp063
    I've purchased some Wallymart Fleece and ripstop, my thought was to sandwich
    these materials in the hope of highlighting the insultex properties.
    Oldgringo you too?

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap
    I recently tried placing my thick fleece rectancular sleeping bag (no zippers) in between the layers of the dbl BB. It will need to be custom cut because as thick as it is, it still shifted around too much. My thought along this line of thought is UQ with a side opening in which you can add layers of insultex as needed dictated by how cold it is. Attach the UQ on the outside like all the other UQs. This way you can make the UQ out of fleece to give it the airspace it needs to breathe if you want. Naturally, this would be more for home/cabin/car camp use.

Hammock
    In a SkeeterBeaterPro...for now
    Quote Originally Posted by PKT View Post
    Harp063
    I've done the same, but I'll be using the fleece for the liner of an IX vest. When I make my quilts I'll be using 2.5 oz Climashield on the inside. IX seems to do best when it can work with a captive air-gap and something with a little loft to seal against irregular surfaces, since the IX itself doesn't drape or compress well.
    A free canoe is better than no canoe.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I think the key is to treat it as though it can be compressed. When it is tight against you, it does not insulate as well. The best performance I've gotten from it is when it is used as a layer in an UQ with down or Climashield.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by PKT View Post
    Harp063
    Oldgringo you too?
    Something like that.

What I have in mind is a sort of "blanket" to place between the layers of my Traveller, to use instead of a pad. I'm imagining something that is more conforming than a pad. Pads, to me, compromise the essential properties of a hammock, resulting in a less comfortable experience.

This hasn't gelled yet...I just got my IX today. Still need to fondle it, and cogitate.

Suggestions, anyone?
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Suggestions, anyone?
    Why not, instead of fleece, get some of the Warm Company synthetic insulation... comes in a package already cut to size, only about an inch thick.

That way, you will have a lighter blanket, with better insulation, which will do more for you under your hammock or on top.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Why not, instead of fleece, get some of the Warm Company synthetic insulation... comes in a package already cut to size, only about an inch thick.

That way, you will have a lighter blanket, with better insulation, which will do more for you under your hammock or on top.
    Are you saying instead of or in concert with the IX?

For anything to work like I want it to, it must drape nicely, and resist compression. Like fleece, or a wool blanket (two things I've been considering using to sandwich the IX.)
    Dave

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast