Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    CF Standard
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar BH

Tarp suspension with becket hitch

I tried searching for this but couldn't find many results. Please excuse me if this has been asked before.

Does anyone use Dutch Ti Hooks to wrap a line around a tree, and then use a becket hitch to connect the line to your tarp's D ring? I see adjusting being an issue. Also, getting a tight pitch against the tree might be difficult. Curious to hear other's thoughts.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    I've never tried it, seen it tried or even heard of it.

You might be able to tie one end of your tarp with a BH, but I don't see how you would tension both ends using a BH. If you find a way to make it work, report back and don't forget pics and videos!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I don't think it's the best choice from an adjustment point of view. You'd be be better off using some kind of adjustable friction hitch instead if you don't want to use any other hardware.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    CF Standard
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar BH
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    I've never tried it, seen it tried or even heard of it.

You might be able to tie one end of your tarp with a BH, but I don't see how you would tension both ends using a BH. If you find a way to make it work, report back and don't forget pics and videos!
    My thought is that the lack of tension between the trees may cause a little sag in the tarp, but if I stake the sides out firmly, maybe it wouldn't matter so much?

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I don't think it's the best choice from an adjustment point of view. You'd be be better off using some kind of adjustable friction hitch instead if you don't want to use any other hardware.
    What sort of adjustable friction hitch do you have in mind?

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Tarp suspension with becket hitch

You can use a truckers hitch to make a tight tarp line with no hardware. There are lots of versions of truckers hitches. My favorite is a slip knot for the loop. Make the loop small--so you don't get much play if slip knot loop gets smaller. Finish with a slipped half hitch and back it up with a daisy chain. Then lock with a clove hitch over bight.
    I think a very useful slip and grip knot or friction hitch is Farrimond Friction Hitch. I think it is the ONLY friction hitch that is tied in the bight--that is you do not need access to either end of rope to tie it. And then the best part is when breaking camp--just give it a yank and the entire hitch disappears.
    Most videos show farrimond friction hitch with three wraps-producing 6 coils- with amsteel or zingit or lashit you can use 5 wraps-yielding ten coils.
    Back to truckers hitch-the way I described unties easily. And when tie to first tree when you are going to use a truckers hitch--your first tree knot can be a Siberian hitch or farrimond friction hitch. I usually stabilize these knots with daisy chain--and you can lock these knots by putting a clove hitch over the bight or half of a clove hitch. This way if a kid pulls your excess rope--your tarp won't fall down. Sorry for the murky word pictures when a video would be better. You can find all kinds of videos on YouTube. Only problem is some of ways shown by self appointed experts--are tedious to tie and even worse when trying to break camp in a hurry. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 03-07-2017 at 21:22.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by poorboystooge View Post
    My thought is that the lack of tension between the trees may cause a little sag in the tarp, but if I stake the sides out firmly, maybe it wouldn't matter so much?

What sort of adjustable friction hitch do you have in mind?
    For a friction knot I use soft shackle prussicks on all my tie outs, including the ridge. No CRL for me. The soft shackle prussicks give hardware free adjustment to center the tarp, and tension the stakes. I did finally but Dutch hooks for the ridge tieouts. Much easier then tying and untying knots around the trees.

I'm planning on trying the becket hitch on my hammock. Seems an unnecessary hassle on a tarp, and hard to get tensioned.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    CF Standard
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar BH
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyboy42 View Post
    For a friction knot I use soft shackle prussicks on all my tie outs, including the ridge. No CRL for me. The soft shackle prussicks give hardware free adjustment to center the tarp, and tension the stakes. I did finally but Dutch hooks for the ridge tieouts. Much easier then tying and untying knots around the trees.

I'm planning on trying the becket hitch on my hammock. Seems an unnecessary hassle on a tarp, and hard to get tensioned.
    Thanks man, great suggestions with the prussicks. I have a CRL and I thought "wow this is brilliant" when I saw the soft shackles. I want to add soft shackle prussicks to my tarp corner tieouts - then it made me think of using a becket hitch on the ridgeline. I think I might just try prussicks there too though.

How long did you make your soft shackle prussicks? How long are your tarp tieouts and ridgeline lengths?

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Mac-Gear / HG / LL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by poorboystooge View Post
    ... wrap a line around a tree, and then use a becket hitch to connect the line to your tarp's D ring?
    I've set up prussicks on my stake lines so I can adjust the tension at the tarp. They work well, although I haven't been in a high wind yet. I was looking at the taut line hitch and think it would make a good friction knot at the tarp. Only issue I see is the time it takes to tie every time. I'd probably leave the line tied to the tarp then wrap and tie off to the tree last and adjust the taut line hitch to set the tension. If you add a half hitch or two to the taught line hitch, you're adding even more friction. Full disclosure -- I haven't done this, just thinking it through with the idea to try it out next time I have the chance.

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    I really enjoy sleeping and camping in a hammock, but there's one small downside, and is the same downside I have with sailing and the Boy Scouts: knots!!

I've mastered (ok, maybe not "mastered" but learned very well) many skills over the years, but knots is certainly not one of them.

Bless you guys that know them and have an interest in them, I'll keep looking at Dutch's hardware.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Monkeyboy42 already mentioned prusiks which is what I use. The only issue I have with them is they can be a pain to adjust in really cold weather but I usually manage ok. They've been on my tarp for 7 years and I'm too lazy to switch them up.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast