DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook

Tentsile vs. Troika- Are either worth trying as a camping "Hammock"

I just listened to the HYOH podcast as they interviewed the creator of the Tentsile unit. He seemed somewhat put off by traditional hammocks and not willing to consider his product a hammock; saying he would never go back to a hammock. And he created his product to get away from hammocks and all their issues. (paraphrased)
    https://www.tentsile.com/

Next on the scene is the Troika. This product is very similar to the Tentsile (both with patents or patents pending). The creators claim it to be a hammock but I would doubt they have done much hammock camping given their claims as to why their product is better than a traditional hammock.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...recs_featured#

Are either of these a viable camping/backpacking hammock?

I would worry most about insulation. While pads may work better I do enjoy the downy goodness that comes from my underquilts. Pads for me are just another reminder of why I gave up the ground to sleep in a hammock. Not to mention the tensile stress put on the trees hanging them with straps so tight they are like a 3 string harp.
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    The pics at tentsile are beautiful but none show reality except for the one featuring swimming. You would freeze your bottom off in any of these below 60° and below without some type of insulation.

Images
    Just because you use trees to suspend a fabric off the ground doesn't automaticly make it a hammock. I'm with the tentsile guy these things are not hammocks.
    IMO they are backyard toys like a tramp or slackline.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Finding two perfect trees is hard enough..?

Add to that the ratchet straps and heavy duty fabrics and these gizmos are best suited for car camping.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

I think that the Tentsiles are fascinating, speaking of the tree tents. They just look like fun. Not necessarily practical, but fun. Assuming you get it set up correctly, I'd imagine that you'd at least stay dry and with an appropriate pad you could sleep warm. Definitely not for backpacking.

I had never heard of the Troika, but just read their Kickstarter page. The information they have under "Why us and not them [hammocks]" is absurd. 2-point hammocks aren't comfortable? A second Troika can serve as a rainfly? You can't hang a 2-point hammock on a tree without branches? Woefully ignorant of their market at best, scammers at worst.

In general, I think this kind of experimentation and innovation is fun, and it's usually a very wiggly path that leads to a truly groundbreaking product. I might be inclined to mess around with a Tentsile or perhaps even try making one, but I'd stay far away from the Troika just based on their misinformation.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    Dream Darien
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear U/T Q
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ Bling
    We "family camp' in our Tentsile Tent, the Stingray, on the spoil islands in the Banana River, Space Coast of Florida. Wife and 2 kids sleep in the string ray while I enjoy my hammock. My wife loves that she is off the ground and close to the kids. Kids love the "tree fort" style of the Stingray. I love that everyone is happy and can enjoy my hammock. Everyone benefits from the airflow around stingray/hammock during hot summer night. I've slept in the tensile tent a couple of times, I would consider it a hammock.

IMG_6089.jpgIMG_6084.JPG
    Last edited by AnthonyFerguson; 03-08-2017 at 11:42.

Hammock
    DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Just because you use trees to suspend a fabric off the ground doesn't automaticly make it a hammock. I'm with the tentsile guy these things are not hammocks.
    IMO they are backyard toys like a tramp or slackline.
    I do agree that they are not backpacking worthy and are more of a toy that are brought along car camping just like a mass produced very short big box store hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by Caminante View Post
    I think that the Tentsiles are fascinating, speaking of the tree tents. They just look like fun. Not necessarily practical, but fun. Assuming you get it set up correctly, I'd imagine that you'd at least stay dry and with an appropriate pad you could sleep warm. Definitely not for backpacking.

I had never heard of the Troika, but just read their Kickstarter page. The information they have under "Why us and not them [hammocks]" is absurd. 2-point hammocks aren't comfortable? A second Troika can serve as a rainfly? You can't hang a 2-point hammock on a tree without branches? Woefully ignorant of their market at best, scammers at worst.

In general, I think this kind of experimentation and innovation is fun, and it's usually a very wiggly path that leads to a truly groundbreaking product. I might be inclined to mess around with a Tentsile or perhaps even try making one, but I'd stay far away from the Troika just based on their misinformation.
    My thoughts exactly on the Troika.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyFerguson View Post
    We "family camp' in our Tentsile Tent, the Stingray, on the spoil islands in the Banana River, Space Coast of Florida. Wife and 2 kids sleep in the string ray while I enjoy my hammock. My wife loves that she is off the ground and close to the kids. Kids love the "tree fort" style of the Stingray. I love that everyone is happy and can enjoy my hammock. Everyone benefits from the airflow around stingray/hammock during hot summer night. I've slept in the tensile tent a couple of times, I would consider it a hammock.

IMG_6089.jpgIMG_6084.JPG
    I am glad it is working for you. What do you use for insulation? How low would you be willing to go before insulation was needed? Is it similar to a regular hammock at about 60°F?
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Hammock
    Grand Trunk - SBP
    Tarp
    PahaQue Wilderness
    Insulation
    SnugPak UQ
    Suspension
    Daisy chain straps
    Since I'm new to Hammocking I'm not yet as involved as most on this forum, so perhaps I have more of a "outside looking in" perspective. Like what random people who aren't familiar with hammocking think, per-say. I would literally look at the Tentsile and call it a hammock with a very elaborate bugnet/rainfly. So their description is interesting how they try to play the "definitely not a hammock" card
    Cars, Guns, and Hiking are all I need
    Blue Lives Matter

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Three trees needed to set up

No way to insulate bottom easily

Expensive

Heavy

...think I will stick with my hammocks
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    The main reasons that I use a hammock for myself is to get off of the hard, uneven, or bumpy ground (comfort) and to avoid moisture (comfort). I think the tentsile product definitely solves both of these problems and still allows for >1 person in the shelter, a significant benefit for camping with the family.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast