SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    JRBNest, LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Latt View Post
    Please tell us this is just a quick hang of the hammock to snap the picture and you didn't actually crawl into it? It's very far from the recommended 30 degree hang angle
    I'm with you Latt. I laughed my @$s off when I saw that picture. It's the parallel hang.

Hammock
    Dutchware/Dream
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by KINGLONESTAR View Post
    Question...let's say I have plain old continuous loops on my hammock body. Lets say I have the beetle buckle suspension straps wrapped around the tree. In a normal situation, I'd just hang the continuous loops on the buckle and get to swingin'.

Now let's say I find the perfect spot for a very scenical hang, but the two trees are too far apart. You with me so far? In theory, my simple mind tells me I can pull my whoopie slings out of the pack, hook one end to the beetle buckle, then hook the other end of the whoopie sling to the continuous loop with the whoopie hook that is attached to said whoopie sling. This could extend my range, right?

This would not be an ideal setup, but I'm just spitballing and wanting to have a reserve idea in place if the need were to ever arise...

What say you?!
    Why not just swap your continuous loops for the whoopies and have that extended range from the start?

Quote Originally Posted by sasch View Post
    Why not just swap your continuous loops for the whoopies and have that extended range from the start?
    Then you run into the problem when the trees are close together and you can't shorten the whoopie enough. Instead of a whoopie, I'd just carry dogbones, maybe with hooks on them.

Or a guy could use longer straps or extend them...

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Love my beetle buckles.I prefer the standard black straps but carry them on 10 foot poly dyneema (black/white stripes) because of the weight savings.Most of the time I hang off the standard CL's Dutch binered onto an 8 inch CL(the kind recommended for the HH conversion).Makes a nice water break so that the shoe string on the hammock's gathered end is a backup under that scenario.

I do carry a pair of whoopies just in case I encounter a large diameter tree but my experience so far in the SouthEastern U.S. has not required them as I can often get by throwing a 2 foot dogbone in the mix.

Hammock
    Dutchware/Dream
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    Then you run into the problem when the trees are close together and you can't shorten the whoopie enough. Instead of a whoopie, I'd just carry dogbones, maybe with hooks on them.

Seems like if it's so close you can't shorten the whoopie enough, then it's just too close. I'd think that situation'd be less likely than the other way around.

Hammock
    Dutchware/Dream
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    This would be my approach. In addition to spider/poly straps with the beetles, I'll bring along an extra set of spiderweb 1.5 straps. They weight almost nothing, take up almost no space, and allow me to extend my suspension considerably if needed, as well as provide a backup strap in case of any issues with my primary suspension. Beetles don't work with them, but a Beckett hitch always works just fine for me

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234