Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

ridge line material

Can you folks give up your source for ridgeline material, size, working load and supplier? Thanks, Bill

Images
    All you need is something that does not stretch. I use armsteel 7/64" spectra. The same stuff that I use on my suspension. I had a lot of it laying around anyways.

I think that as long as it holds 200 lbs or so, you will be fine. I would test this though.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i think a lot of people use the same line they are using on their tarp tie outs, like the orange spectra line from speer hammocks for example.
    but it may depend on how much stress you'll be putting on it.
    i kinda liked the way ed speer used to do his ridge line (before henesy started harassing him about it). it was just tied to the hammock support on one end, but the other end was a loop that was adjustable with a sliding hitch.
    that way you could experiment w/ the sag but it would stay where you decided to leave it.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I agree that it's easy enough to just use some extra line you might have around for a ridegeline, provided that it is strong enough.

But, if you are looking for something specific to use for a ridgeline, then you could do worse than this. It's very light, has a small diameter of 3mm, has a vectrus core tensile rating of 653 lbs, and it's polyester sleeve should knot well. Seems ideal to me.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Thanks for the help. I am still making hammmocks like crazy. I have given 3 away so far to family and friends. I have always made my own hunting and camping gear but this is by far the funest project to date for not only me but the folks around me. Thanks again for all the help. Bill

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    ... ridge line (before henesy started harassing him about it). it ...
    Interesting choice of words.

Describing patent enforcement as harassment.

You do like to play fast and loose with the reputations of other people.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    Interesting choice of words.

Describing patent enforcement as harassment.

You do like to play fast and loose with the reputations of other people.
    i'll tell you just what i've said before. even it henesy could win his point in a court of law that he is the only one allowed to use any kind of a ridge line on a hammock because of his patent, his doing so is in no way helping the desire to develop hammock designs. he's controlling the hammock market & creativity.
    i believe henesy is by far the largest seller of backpacking hammocks in the world & the few small hammock makers that he has been talking to about his patents aren't making a dent in his sales... at least not yet.
    as far as henesy's reputation as a business man, yeah, i've pretty much lost respect for the man just to put it bluntly.
    and i know you're at no loss for words in trying to convince people of your point, so why don't you explain in no uncertain terms what you mean by "you like to play fast and loose with the reputations of other people". ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I'm no fan of TH, but I do like his product and own one. In a way, I think him being such an *** to the people who support him has helped the industry. Take the Warbonnet for example. It uses no ridge line at all, but the way it is cut it still "sets" the sag. I've set it up about 10 or 12 times now and each time my sag is within an inch or so of last time.

I think this is a good example of overcoming a design challenge. I do think that TH's words and actions will come back to bite him, but you do have to give him props for opening up the field. The fact that he so strongly defends his idea of a patent is already starting to make the creative juices flow with all the designers out there. I think a few years from now, TH will be a non-issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I'm no fan of TH, but I do like his product and own one. In a way, I think him being such an *** to the people who support him has helped the industry. Take the Warbonnet for example. It uses no ridge line at all, but the way it is cut it still "sets" the sag. I've set it up about 10 or 12 times now and each time my sag is within an inch or so of last time.

I think this is a good example of overcoming a design challenge. I do think that TH's words and actions will come back to bite him, but you do have to give him props for opening up the field. The fact that he so strongly defends his idea of a patent is already starting to make the creative juices flow with all the designers out there. I think a few years from now, TH will be a non-issue.
    That's an interesting point. If JRB Mt Bridge Hammock works they could really give TH a run for his money. Just from the DIY side, I like the Bridge Hammock concept much better than the more traditional Mayan hammock concept.
    Last edited by funbun; 06-25-2007 at 11:00.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Can we please move the HH stuff back to the HH thread and leave this one to its original topic? Or even to PMs.
    Last edited by Just Jeff; 06-25-2007 at 20:15.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast