Speer
    Tarp
    8x10 cat silnylon
    Insulation
    thermarest w/ SPE
    Suspension
    Speers straps.
    Muskrat,
    I plan to hit the trail fri morning. When you hike as slow as me u gotta get an early start to keep from seeing the parking lot from your hammock the first nite lol. I,m taking my dog with me so shouldn,t get too lonely ... if you guys find yourselves near there let me know i,d love the company. it,s an out and back hike with no real inbetween roads or access. swampfox is rite about the chatooga section though its nice. read up on ellicotts rock b4 u go. i,ll pm u my phone just in case.

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    Quote Originally Posted by swampfox View Post
    Muskrat,
    My personal favorite is along the Chatooga, north of Burrell's Ford.
    You could park at Burrell's Ford, in 45 minutes, you'll pass a half dozen nice sites right on the river. Pick one and set up camp. One of the more private places is just before you cross the bridge over the East Fork, literally 30 minutes in.
    Day hike on Saturday or lay in a hammock and listen to the river. Hike out Sunday morn.
    Thanks Fox. I have actually done the section (the only section I have done...) from Burrells Ford to HWY 107 hiking towards Oconee SP. Its good to hear there are great sections to get through that I have yet to see, I'm really looking forward to them. We may try to meet up with Diesel, just need to convince my buddy who is on this mission to complete the trail starting at Oconee and section hiking, in order, all the way to the end . Me, personally, just get out there !
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Leighlo/ Golite
    Quote Originally Posted by swampfox View Post
    Muskrat,
    My personal favorite is along the Chatooga, north of Burrell's Ford.
    You could park at Burrell's Ford, in 45 minutes, you'll pass a half dozen nice sites right on the river. Pick one and set up camp. One of the more private places is just before you cross the bridge over the East Fork, literally 30 minutes in.
    Day hike on Saturday or lay in a hammock and listen to the river. Hike out Sunday morn.
    Me and a friend did this last section last year. It was a blast. We would have camped by the river but there was a family with alot of loud kids there, so we went up the trail a bit. When are you heading out again? If I am through making the transition from groundhogg to hanger by then, maybe my friend and I could meet up with you.

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    Diesel, looks like my buddy Jim is in agreement that we can meet up with you. We are planning to only make 1 night out of it but we are not on a timetable on Sat. Just need to get back to Greer sometime Sat evening. Jim is a new hanger and has an Exped that has not been out of the bag yet so he's looking forward to trying it out. I'm guessing I should be done around noon (ish) on Friday with the meet. Let me know about what area you plan to camp at. We may opt to put in Fish Hatchery Rd.

Nice timing with this hang! The weekend before this hang I'll be at Mt Rogers for the big hang. Back-to-back weekends
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    Quote Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
    Me and a friend did this last section last year. It was a blast. We would have camped by the river but there was a family with alot of loud kids there, so we went up the trail a bit. When are you heading out again? If I am through making the transition from groundhogg to hanger by then, maybe my friend and I could meet up with you.
    Sounds like a great option if it is convenient for all to meet at one of these sites . . . although I would prefer more mileage, I am not opposed to a short hike either ! This is the first weekend in Feb . . . if I remember correctly.
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    My bad Diesel . . . I see that you are planning to go in the other direction. Reading the previous posts had me thinking in the wrong direction . We'll make the necessary change and still try to meet up with you.

UPDATE: Sorry. . . I didn't realize that the direction you are heading in has limited access. Jim prefers not to do a "hike in & hike out" on the same trail. We would like to meet up with you but would prefer to knock out some mileage without backtracking which is what we would be doing on this section. It appears that we are going to sticking to our original plan and will be starting at Oconee SP and will probably end at Burrells Ford. If it is appealing to you and anyone else, feel free to join us.
    Last edited by Muskrat; 01-20-2010 at 12:56. Reason: had a change in plans . . . bummer, but I'm not the one driving.
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskrat View Post
    This is the first weekend in Feb . . . if I remember correctly.
    Diesel will be hiking this coming Friday- Sunday, Jan 22, 23, 24.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    Well. . . there you have it. I certainly can not put my dates together correctly. Diesel, my bad. We are heading out the first weekend in Feb. Sorry for any confusion, guess my excitement of meeting another hanger got the best of me . Can't make this weekend but our offer stands if you or anyone else wants to meet up with us at Oconee SP on 2/5 - 2/6.
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    8x10 cat silnylon
    Insulation
    thermarest w/ SPE
    Suspension
    Speers straps.

Sanity wins over Optimisim

I'm looking at the national weather forcast.... rain ending noonish today (Fri). Lows around 30 tonite. Overcast with freezing rain Saturday .... Freezing rain likely Sat. night. Rain and Freezing rain mix for Sunday.

Ok Ok I give.... Even the sort of ok weather on Saturday has been squeezed out. Guess I'll stay home this time. **** Weather guessers!

Muskrat... sorry to plan something and back out but it looks like our dates and locations weren't gonna work anyway....
    Swampfox... I'm gonna test out the UQ in the garage this weekend to at least get the "hang" of it. Thanks again and have a good trip. I'll get it back to you as soon as your back.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Hey diesel,
    I was thinking of you when I saw the weather this morning, rain, freezing rain... hard to enjoy that. If you think you may go in a couple of weeks, just plan to hang on to the Snugfit for a little while.
    Either way, I'll get in touch with you when I get back in town.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast