Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    8x10 cat silnylon
    Insulation
    thermarest w/ SPE
    Suspension
    Speers straps.

SC Foothills Trail Jocassee / Bad Creek Sta.

I'm thinking of hiking an out and back from the Badcreek pumping station towards Hilliard Falls / Horsepasture River crossing. Yes, I know it's cold.... No, I don't know exactly when I would go.... But, there's gotta be a sort of tolerable weekend comming up in the next 2 months I can make a 3 day outing out of. Just keeping the gear ready for a short notice dash whenever the weather man makes some nice 7 day forcasts. WHAT?!! You say he lies? Oh well. If anyone has any suggestions for the trail, or how to keep warmer, or is interested in going (Asthma, I hike slow) .... let me know.
    I'm thinking of using my Spear hammock, winter tarp, a SPE with 1/2" CC wings and a ultralight thermarest in the center section, and my .... ummm 40Degree down Kelty bag (I know, I know). I have a couple of small fleece blankets to throw over / under me too, a light down jacket, & some Long Johns. Anyone think I'll die?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by diesel; 01-12-2010 at 19:45.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    That section is on my list still to do, but it would be hard for me to get away on short notice. I'm not far from you and I may be able to help you with some warmer gear though.
    Let me know if you're interested.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    Tempting offer . . . a buddy of mine (Greer, SC...) and I have made a New Year's Resolution to hike the entire Foothills Trail this year, even though we have some sections completed, we want to do the entire trail in 2010. With my wife working at the hospital, shifts vary, timing would be key but I certainly wouldn't be opposed to joining you if the dates were convenient.
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    Custom dragon
    Tarp
    Custom made cuben
    Insulation
    custom peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Me and my other thru hiked the foothills trail this past summer.....in august..... Dont dare complain about nice cold cool wind or weather.........

That trip should be good for you there are plenty of hanging places on that trail to avoid the coldest cold just stay up and away from all the water which should be easy with the hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL Snipe
    Tarp
    OES10x12catcutSpin
    Insulation
    Yeti,HG
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Keep dates posted that section is also on my to do list. The section from Whitewater Falls to Laural Fork is what I have left. I've heard it's a real nice area.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I did a small piece in October from Laurel Valley Access to the Virginia Hawkins Waterfall, about 5 miles. We had planned to do 8 miles and go to the Laurel Fork Falls but we were worn out and there was a beautiful campsite right there just below the falls.
    Saturday morning, a 60 yr. old schoolteacher walked by on her way to Hilliard Falls, a total of 22 miles. She had done it out and back the weekend before and was doing it again the very next weekend.
    She and her husband thru-hike the Foothills Trail (~80 miles) every Thanksgiving and Christmas break. We loafed around camp Sunday morning and didn't leave until about 1:00. 20 minutes down the trail, she passed us like there was a sale at Walmart. She already had 17 miles behind her.
    I want to be like that when I grow up.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    8x10 cat silnylon
    Insulation
    thermarest w/ SPE
    Suspension
    Speers straps.

Still packing and weighing ounces

I have hiked a small part of the foothills trail from bad creek access to the lower whitewater spur campground with my daughter a few years ago when the 2 metal bridges were out. We had to cross by pushing our packs ahead of us on a huge downed tree (creepy cause it's just above a huge waterfall). I really want to see whats beyond that near campsite. Would love to do the whole Gorges passage. Not this winter though I'm afraid.

I've also done that section you mentioned from Laurel Valley Access near Rocky Bottom to ??Hawkins? Falls. It was only about 5 miles but my Collie was solo hiking with me and I'm gonna say she had gone far enough for one day ..... ha ha. She also farts in the tent. There were tons of steps and even a ladder on this section and she was a great trooper.... very brave to conquer them all. A group of college guys went past me that night headed for the lake.... the guy at the back was packing a blow up doll with him .... They passed me the next day on the way back out. Don't ask Don't tell huh? Not quite the same crew as the school teacher who went by swampfox I guess.

I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions for keeping a dog from wandering around the camp site at night. I had a tent last time and put her inside with me but with the hammock ..... well ..... her leash, yeah, obviously but she worries and roams about at night and I spoil her. I don't want to just tie her down under the hammock. I agree with swampfox about the dogs... love 'em, but gotta keep her safe.
    Here's her and I on that trip, well mostly her, she's better lookin'.
    Diesel
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by diesel; 01-14-2010 at 21:36.

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    8x10 cat silnylon
    Insulation
    thermarest w/ SPE
    Suspension
    Speers straps.
    OK... Tentatively Fri, Sat, Sun the 22nd, 23rd, 24th for the Foothills trail hike from Bad Creek Station to ... as far as my fat old butt can get and back again. Don't know for sure if I can get off work Fri or not yet, and the 5 day forecast this evening (Sun) was for rain this Wed nite ending this Thurs during the day (21st) with partly cloudy and 35 degree low's to 50 degree hi's in the mountains. 5 day forecasts are notoriously wrong though. If anyone is thinkin' of commin' along let me know.... otherwise I'm solo. I'll get to test out my new down jacket from lands end on close out.... $67.00. Not sure yet about bringing Bella (my Collie). She's in as bad a shape as me .... mostly lays around all day but if I'm gonna solo I'll be lonely without her. Wish me well.

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    My buddy and I are "planning" to be out there that weekend but he would like to start at Oconee SP. Maybe I can convince him that we could join you. Only hurdle that I have is my daughters have a gymnastics meet at Clemson that weekend. One on Fri morning (done by noon) and then the other at noon on Sunday. Ideally I would like to be off the trail by Sat evening unless we were close by to a parking area so that I can scoot on to Clemson. Any suggestions ?
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Muskrat,
    My personal favorite is along the Chatooga, north of Burrell's Ford.
    You could park at Burrell's Ford, in 45 minutes, you'll pass a half dozen nice sites right on the river. Pick one and set up camp. One of the more private places is just before you cross the bridge over the East Fork, literally 30 minutes in.
    Day hike on Saturday or lay in a hammock and listen to the river. Hike out Sunday morn.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast