WB Blackbird 1.1 Dual
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/ Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti 40, Wooki 0
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Cuben Tarp Owners and Former Owners, Your Experience?

Hey all, I am in the market for a tarp, and I've been doing what seems to be the norm... you know... drool over Cuben tarps, research a heck of a lot about the plusses and minuses of each type of fabric, watch all of Shug's videos, drool more, repeat.

So here are the questions:
    1) If you currently own a cuben fiber tarp, how do you like it? Is it your go-to? Or Is there another that you prefer to it? Any regrets on either buying one that is too small... or wishing you had doors?

2) If you used to own one, why'd you sell it? What did you get in its place? Did you swear-off Cuben for good? ...or did you replace it with another?

I know everyone will have a different experience, HYOH and all that. I just want to be better informed, so I can (hopefully) better my hike.

A little background on me: I like getting out and hiking. The plan is to do Isle Royale again this year, and section hike a few more parts of the SHT here in MN. I was enlightened to the existence of hammock camping about 2 years ago, and haven't really looked back. I own two HH Asym Zip UL, and now a WBBB 1.1 dual-layer... looking for a great tarp option for the warm season (Superfly will be my go-to for the cooler months).

Thanks!
    Last edited by Chemist; 03-12-2017 at 14:08. Reason: Include the word tarp in the title for clarity

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG CF/doors
    Insulation
    UGQZeppelin/Bandit
    Suspension
    Huggers/Mule Tape
    Hey Chemist, great question. I know a lot of people have gotten rid of theirs for various reasons, but I love mine. I have several tarps, and all have their own purpose. My CF is my ultralight, full coverage backpacking tarp. Mine is the Hammock Gear Standard with Doors. I like the coverage, but would love if it wasn't see thru, and the noise when it rains can be pretty loud. However, some earplugs take that away.

No regrets what so ever on the CF. No issues with it. It works prefect for what I use it for. You can see mine on several of my videos.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 Dual
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/ Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti 40, Wooki 0
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiguyver View Post
    You can see mine on several of my videos.
    I'm going to check out your channel right now! Thanks!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG cf w/ doors 12'
    Insulation
    EE TQ
    Suspension
    WB buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiguyver View Post
    Hey Chemist, great question. I know a lot of people have gotten rid of theirs for various reasons, but I love mine. I have several tarps, and all have their own purpose. My CF is my ultralight, full coverage backpacking tarp. Mine is the Hammock Gear Standard with Doors. I like the coverage, but would love if it wasn't see thru, and the noise when it rains can be pretty loud. However, some earplugs take that away.

No regrets what so ever on the CF. No issues with it. It works prefect for what I use it for. You can see mine on several of my videos.
    I second Spiguyver's comments. HG CF with doors. Love it so far. But it wasn't cheap!! The rain noise hasn't bothered me either, but I can see how it might for some. And I have heard some concerns about durability, which are probably fair depending on how one camps--I'm a pretty casual hiker/camper, so I don't push my gear as hard as others on here might and, knock on wood, I might be at a lesser risk for punctures or tears. I have the camouflage version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tarp
    HG hex 1 grizzbeak
    Insulation
    EE Rev30
    Images
    I have the hex and 1 grizzbeak from 2qzq. I really like this set up. It allows me to block most drafts. I also use this tarp when I cant hang. I just pitch one end low and have doors for the other end. I don't as of now wish I had gone with the standard with doors. Its gotta be nasty before I need the beak but I'm gonna thru hike someday so I wanted it.
    In the shadows

Hammock
    11' Dutchware Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG TQ/UQ 10*
    Suspension
    Dutchware Whoopies
    I haven't used my tarp yet but I invested in the HG Winter Palace. I really like the waterproof qualities of CF and that was my biggest priorities when buying a tarp; the sag of silnylon was a no-go for me. I am also a backpacker and needed lightweight to replace my CF tent. My experience with the CF tent was all good and one of the reasons I didn't hesitate to buy a CF tarp.

Quote Originally Posted by Afterparty View Post
    I have the hex and 1 grizzbeak from 2qzq. I really like this set up. It allows me to block most drafts. I also use this tarp when I cant hang. I just pitch one end low and have doors for the other end. I don't as of now wish I had gone with the standard with doors. Its gotta be nasty before I need the beak but I'm gonna thru hike someday so I wanted it.
    Slightly off topic but still curious. How do you pitch your tarp on the ground? I realize it would be different for the hex vs WP but just looking for ideas. I have the hiking pole cups from ZPacks but not sure how I'm going to use them yet.

I don't own a cuben fiber tarp but I do own a cuben fiber tent, a Zpacks Duplex. Bottom line for me, unless I'm planning a long hike where every gram of weight makes a difference, I leave the Duplex home. For one thing, this tent is HOT in the summer and COLD in early spring and late fall. As mentioned earlier, the see thru fabric takes some getting used to, especially on a moonlit night. I don't notice that much of a difference with the noise when it rains unless it's a downpour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've owned the HG Winter Palace for about four years - it's a great tarp that looks as good as when I bought it. It has doors and is about the same size as a Warbonnet Superfly. None of the main complaints about cuben fiber register with me: 1) I don't care that it's bulkier than silnylon - it still fits in the outside pocket of my backpack; 2) if cuben fiber is noisier than silnylon in the rain, it's not something I notice; and 3) if cuben fiber lets in more light than silnylon, it has no effect on me. I'm not a day lounger, so you'll never find me in a hammock during the day. I don't even notice the moonlight, because I usually hang my hammock and tarp from trees, which provide shade!

As for durability, I once read someone who said that an acorn punctured their cuben fiber tarp. I find that hard to believe, because I've had my cf tarp in a storm with dime-sized hail and there was nary a scratch on it. I've had my cf tarp in storms up to 50 mph with no damage whatsoever.

I really like that there's zero stretch - hang it once and forget it. There's no need for shock cord tensioners, or retensioning the tarp once it gets wet (like silnylon).
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    SilvrSurfr summed up my thoughts

Tarp
    HG hex 1 grizzbeak
    Insulation
    EE Rev30
    Images
    I use trekking poles. And stingers w'12 of zing it. I did it with a CRL but didn't like the pitch as well.I just wrap around the handle an down to a stake. I'll try and get up a pic or 2.

Duneelliot@
    In the shadows

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast