SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Yes, its my summer tarp. Lots of fine tarps to choose from great vendors, Jared & SLD being among the best. What I ended up liking that I was unsure about at first, is that the tie outs are line locs so that all you need is line - there's nothing to clip to or larkshead onto - and no additional dutchware, etc. needed. As a result, I actually roll up the tarp with the lines and stakes attached. The mini groundhogs I use are a perfect fit for the little stuff sack which is compact but not overly tight when stuffed.
    Last edited by dakotaross; 03-14-2017 at 09:26.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    Yep just got my winter haven, have the asym tarp the trail haven and the winter haven, also own 3 of his hammocks, ...just realized I'm kinda of exclusive sld now..huh. love jared's work ethic and his attention to detail.
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    WBBB, SLD TL
    Tarp
    HG, WB, SLD
    Insulation
    Leighlo, HG
    Suspension
    dutch, slitline
    Love my trail lair and winter haven. Jared is amazingly fast. I also had the asym. Here is a pic of the WH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch,SLD
    Tarp
    Superfly,Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    very nice tarp, also have the quick flys for it. quality gear.

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HGIncubator/UGQ FJ
    Suspension
    Whoopies / Straps
    Awesome, thank you everyone for all the input! Now to just decide on which one. Im very intrigued by the size of the asylm stuffed in its sack. But at the same time I may like a little more coverage. Plenty of options to choose from on the site it looks like!

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HGIncubator/UGQ FJ
    Suspension
    Whoopies / Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    Glad you asked this question, since I'm a proud owner of the SLD Asym tarp, Winter Haven, and beta #1 of the Trail Haven tarp. The asym tarp will provide minimal coverage, but it's enough to keep you dry in the event of rain. It all depends on how you pitch it...driving rain from the side may an issue. You just have to be aware of the wind and keep a low pitch.

I use mine primarily in my summer hang spot up at the lake. It also makes a great sunshade and it's light and compact.

Unfortunately, Jared doesn't have a subforum here on the forums, so back in Sept 2016, I put together the "Simply Light Designs 101: Guide to HF Posts 9-9-16". Lots of great info from that link that should be of help There's also some direct links in there to other HF members with Asym tarp experience. Jared rocks!

Great info there Dave I appreciate it!

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    👍👍👍 get one or two!

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
    Hash browns and bacon strips , I like the way you lick your lips

Hammock
    BIAS Camper XL DIY Bugnet
    Tarp
    Camo poly
    Insulation
    Blue ccf
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Do any of you have trouble with the simply light design website? It keeps asking me to log in even after I do and I am.unable to browse products because of this.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware

My Thoughts on the SLD Simplicity Asym Tarp

Like Dave, I too own the Simplicity Asym tarp from SLD. The Simplicity is a very thoughtfully designed true asym tarp made from standard-width waterproof fabric. I have been using the svelte Simplicity longer than any other tarp I use for serious backcountry hammock camping, and I love it. I think Jared makes the best standard-width asym tarp on the market. When you first see it on his webpage, you think, "OK, it's a parallelogram asym tarp...so what?" but when you see one in person for the first time pitched, you understand the degree of attention to detail that went into designing and constructing it. The little things matter with little tarps. It's perfectly cut to optimize its performance, and its shape is just right to cover an 11-foot stanard-width hammock in a particular diagonal direction. In particular, the Simplicity fits very well over Jared's 11-foot integrated-net hammocks. I've used the Simplicity a lot in the field over the last year, and I've made it the basis for my pattern when making other dedicated lay asym tarps from sil-nylon or sil-poly about 60" wide.

We get some pretty serious and frequent rain here in the Pacific Northwest. (Three of the last six months here have been virtually the wettest on record for the time of year.) I have spend my fair share of rainy nights under a Simplicity asym in storm mode. So if you get one, here's what I have learned about staying dry under it...

1) Take the time to center your tarp precisely over your hammock. This is a no-brainer, but it is a hammock tarp tip that is never more important than when you're camping under a skimpy asym tarp in a rainstorm.

2) Pitch it low. Again, this may seem like a no-brainer, but if one pays attention to the shape and itinerant challenges of the Simplicity asym, you can really get it to hug your hammock ridge line. The nominal ridge line length of the Simplicity is approximately 140" long at the ridge line, at first glance you might not think you can get it very close to your 110" hammock ridge line. However, because each ridge line vertex on a parallelogram-shaped asym tarp has one tarp edge that stays in closer to the ridge line and one tarp edge that flares out more (on the side that covers your head or feet), you can use the asymmetry to your advantage. Bring the Simplicity down low until it actually touches the hammock suspension. Let the flared edge of the tarp at each ridge line tie-out make contact on each end, and get the tarp's ridge line tie out traverse to the anchor tree on the side of the tarp that stays in close on that end (away from your head/feet). When the hammock is loaded, gentle sag will pull the hammock suspension away from the tarp edge, but the Simplicity will be cheated over gently to afford a little extra coverage opposite the flared edges in the critical areas where the tarp's shape narrows as it approaches the ridge line tie-outs over the gathered ends of the hammock, likely spots for the hammock to get wet in a rainstorm.

3) Pitch the sides in close to the hammock, with just enough space for you to enter and exit (and see out, if desired). Adjust the side pull-outs to provide a taut pitch at an angle to that provides a good balance of rain shedding, wind protection, and ease of use. If your hammock only opens on one side (e.g., Warbonnet Blackbird XLC, Dream Hammock Darien), you can really bring the opposite side of your tarp down close to the hammock body.

HTH...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 04-08-2017 at 08:16.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' Orange
    Tarp
    still looking
    Insulation
    working on this
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    What length is your hammock and tarp? Plenty of room?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast