WBBB 1.1 DL...Yeah baby.
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Nothing Yet...
    Suspension
    Whatever is on it.

Noobie Gear Setup

I am completely new to this hammock thing and wanted to start off right. I have been hanging around the forums for a few days and have looked for everything I could find on the best hammock to go with. After reading as many reviews/comparisons/pros/cons/dos/don'ts/etc as I could find (it was truly a bit overwhelming), I broke down and emailed WarbonnetGuy yesterday and ordered a WBBB 1.1 DL.

So now that I am "on the list" I have a week or two to wait until she is ready to ship which is giving me plenty of time to contemplate gear setups for this thing. I figured I would put it out there and let you guys point me in the right direction. So here goes...

I don't plan to get down past freezing with this setup. After ordering the WBBB I don't really have the money to order much of the hammock specific insulation options such as underquilts/overquilts/peapods/etc. I am going to use this setup for backpacking/hiking so space and weight are factors, but I don't mind a little extra weight if it means a comfortable nights rest. Here is what I am thinking:

~ WBBB 1.1 DL
    ~ MacCat Deluxe
    ~ Exped Downmat 9 (Regular Length)
    ~ Cats Meow Sleeping Bag (20o)
    ~ Possibly use some small sections of a pad for shoulder/arm insulation

So there you have it. I am trying to keep this to a minimum, but I don't want to freeze to death either. Thanks for any input on this.

Chris

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Noob Hammock Setups is a sticky... there are so many ways to go, I get confused sometimes!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Are you saying that you already have the Exped Mat and the sleeping bag?? If that's the case, then yes, use the gear you already own until you get around to upgrading it.
    But if you're gonna have to go out and buy those... personally I'd put the money towards an under quilt and a top quilt instead. Even if I only had the money for one of these items, then I'd get the under quilt and just find something in the house to use (or cut down to be smaller) for a top quilt.
    On a side note, I've used the Exped 9 in my Clark. It works very well to keep you warm.
    TinaLouise

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL...Yeah baby.
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Nothing Yet...
    Suspension
    Whatever is on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaLouise View Post
    Are you saying that you already have the Exped Mat and the sleeping bag?? If that's the case, then yes, use the gear you already own until you get around to upgrading it.
    But if you're gonna have to go out and buy those... personally I'd put the money towards an under quilt and a top quilt instead. Even if I only had the money for one of these items, then I'd get the under quilt and just find something in the house to use (or cut down to be smaller) for a top quilt.
    On a side note, I've used the Exped 9 in my Clark. It works very well to keep you warm.
    TinaLouise
    Thanks TinaLouise. The Exped is on order, but I don't have it in my hands yet. My goal with the Exped was to get something that would work for the ground and hammock. When my wife is with me I will be in a tent so I still wanted to stay comfy then and don't have the money for different gear for both right now.

On a side note, have you used the Exped 9 in the summer? Is it still comfortable then or too hot?

Thanks,
    Chris

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Welcome Cyokley. You'll be happy with the WBBB and it sounds like you have figured out the best way for you to cover hangin and ground. Eventually you may want a separate system for hangin, ie UC and TQ.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UL and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I agree, you should be fine with what you have there down into the 40's or lower if you sleep hot. I sleep cold and my setup (similar until last week when I got my UQ) took me to the low 40's.

Quote Originally Posted by cyokley View Post
    When my wife is with me I will be in a tent so I still wanted to stay comfy then and don't have the money for different gear for both right now.
    Well, I can tell you by experince that once you get use to your hammock, the ground will most likely NOT be comfy regradless of the pad you use. I went to the ground not to long ago and I barely slept at all. I was like "The Princess and the Pea", I could feel every little rock and root in the dirt below. Plus, once your wife see's your setup it might just become hers the next time she joins you

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL...Yeah baby.
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Nothing Yet...
    Suspension
    Whatever is on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerflop View Post
    Plus, once your wife see's your setup it might just become hers the next time she joins you
    Yeah, I am a little afraid of that.

Too bad Warbonnet doesn't make a hammock for two.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Too bad Warbonnet doesn't make a hammock for two.
    Well, my girlfriend and I have done a bit more than sleep in my double 1.7 Blackbird. I'm just sayin....
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies

On a side note, have you used the Exped 9 in the summer? Is it still comfortable then or too hot?

Thanks,
    Chris
    I sleep cold. I only used the Exped while the weather was pretty cold/cool, actually slept in it one night when the temps dipped to about 28. As long as I didn't let my shoulders or arms touch the sides, I was toasty. Even though I sleep cold, I found I couldn't use it in the hot humid temps here on the coast of NC. I ended up making a lightweight under quilt to use instead. You'll just have to test your stuff out and see how it works for you. It seems that all of us are different and we all have to test to see how different gear works out.
    TinaLouise

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Looks like you are off to a great start. I used my Exped 9 Deluxe DAM in my hammock until I got a winter quilt, which is lighter for backpacking. Exped did fine! Glad you mentioned side pads for any cold spots.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast