Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Whooooo Buddy. I got Smokehouse envy.
    I agree with all, your pack weight is terrific, and the way you strapped it on your Catalyst.
    A right goodie!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    I have two HH's, 1 Scout, 1 ExpAsym
    Tarp
    Big.
    Insulation
    None.Insultex soon
    Suspension
    Trees! :)
    Good heavens! I never thought of such a thing!

I have a small woodstove made for a canvas tent (12x12), but I don't remember the brand. Never imagined somebody would make a similar unit out of Ti.

You mentioned that the stove runs for about 2 hours w/ the 1.5" cut-offs. How long will it burn with split wood or rounds? Do you have to fill the bottom of the stove with sand or dirt? (that's what is recommended for my stove... fill the bottom with sand/dirt during use).

I think it's great that there are so many "free thinkers" here at HF. Now that I know you can survive w/ a nylon shelter and STOVE without turning into a fireball, I've got some thinkin' to do! I very much like the idea of fire-retardant-treated fabric, though...

Thanks for the great pics & description!

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    Shug - I don’t know how u got out of ur hammock at -26f… without a stove… brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Tedinski - I too have a heavy steel 4-dog-stove for an outfitters tent that u put 1” dirt in bottom. The Titanim stove u don’t have to do that.. I know Turk has many more burns on his stove than I and I think his stove is still going strong. I normally take a folding saw and cut 1” to 1.5” round wood. Some version of Oak. After u have a good bed of coals and fill the box with larger dia wood, close the damper and normally with oak u can get about 2 hrs burn time. The shelter won’t stay as warm with the damper closed, but it’s still comfy.
    Word of caution: a fire flame toughing SilNylon will catch it on fire. So u do need to be very careful if using this fabric. I have the stove about 11” from fabric and keep the door closed. I’ve tested ambers with Silnylon and they melt little pin holes through. I’ve used this shelter 6 times and have not experienced any problems.

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I envy you and Turk, Smokehouse. I have wanted a hot tent since I hunted in Colorado with a friend in his Kifaru Tee Pee using his stove. But with the weather where I live I just can't justify spending the money! You have a wicked cool set up though, I really like the simplicity. That would be an awesome solo or double base camp in the high country.
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Amazing set up. Had to bump it =)

Could you post your tarp's measurements??

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    Winter Dream v.2
    Insulation
    KAQ Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopie hook
    Images

Heat Exchanger

Reading these posts reminds me of my Dad's wood burning stove where he lives in Northern Wisconsin. It's a small hut that sits outside with a boiler and sends hot water to his house for heat. I know it wouldn't be a backpacking piece of gear but I wonder if something similar could be done with these stoves. Some sort of small heat exchanger in the tent with a battery operated pump to circlulate the water. I'm not an expert but I would think that water would be a more efficient way to hold heat so it would keep the tarp/tent warmer longer. And keep the flame outside making it safer.

Also, I know that he feeds his furnace twice a day. Can these stoves be made more efficient? His fuels sort of smolders rather than burns. Is it better insulation and a thermostat controlled fan that's the difference?

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tjacques View Post
    Amazing set up. Had to bump it =)

Could you post your tarp's measurements??
    TJ, glad u liked it...
    measurements:
    Ridgeline is 10.5' with 4" cat cut.
    R side is 6' and (5'10" between tieouts)
    L side has a 4.5' roof pannel and (5'10" between tieouts)
    Then has a 2'8" wall.
    doors at highest point are 5' and overlap 2" per door at bottom.

good luck...

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    BMJ w/pullouts
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Huggers/whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by billvann View Post
    Reading these posts reminds me of my Dad's wood burning stove where he lives in Northern Wisconsin. It's a small hut that sits outside with a boiler and sends hot water to his house for heat. I know it wouldn't be a backpacking piece of gear but I wonder if something similar could be done with these stoves. Some sort of small heat exchanger in the tent with a battery operated pump to circlulate the water. I'm not an expert but I would think that water would be a more efficient way to hold heat so it would keep the tarp/tent warmer longer. And keep the flame outside making it safer.

Also, I know that he feeds his furnace twice a day. Can these stoves be made more efficient? His fuels sort of smolders rather than burns. Is it better insulation and a thermostat controlled fan that's the difference?
    Modern wood stoves usually get their high efficiency from a combination of air fans, catalytic converters, and pre-heaters. All of these boost efficiency by burning a higher percentage of the wood rather than generating smoke and ash as the results of incomplete combustion. It's the same principle that makes a Bushbuddy stove so efficient. It preheats the inflowing air in order to ignite wood gas that would normally be lost as smoke and ash. I have no idea how to achieve the same thing on a stove that size without a large weight and complexity penalty though. Pre-heating the air with some sort of double-layered wall or air inlet seems like the best option off the top of my head. Should be possible, but I don’t know how small/lightweight it would be.

That’s a very awesome idea, btw. I would never have come up with such an insane/brilliant idea. Not sure whether to congratulate your genius and bravery or declare you to be Looney Tunes. I guess extreme cold can do strange things to a man. I'm glad I don't camp in weather that frigid!: lol:

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by billvann View Post

One thing to remember is this shelter is not insulated so the Heat output inside needs to be high to stay warm. The stove is small, so it needs to be feed every 30 minutes. If u take the time out and find and cut some good Oak, then the fire can last up to 2 hours. Most of the time I don't have that time, so I use what I can find and normally can break it with my hands. This wood normally last about 30 minutes and fun to cook on as well.
    So basically all this stove is, is a campfire in a box. When it's very cold outside, its hard to stay warm next to a fire which uses alot of wood. Inside, your whole body is warm and the stove uses very little wood.

I normally use this when hunting and going to stay in one area for a few days. The smokehouse shelter w/ stakes is 2lbs 4oz the stove is 2.5lbs, so both of these together would be like taking your OLD backpacking tent that weighed 5lbs.

This is wholly masterful. What a great idea. I love how you have 'tenty' space and the incorporation of hammock and stove.

I am still very much a novice hammock hanger and until RaulPerez' 100th video I thought I was the only one that experienced calf and foot cramps. Not only do I not feel alone with that malady but I now have a solution.

The Ti sheepherder stove is such an awesome concept and it looks like it is a great solution.

Thanks HF!
    -TheNumberSix

"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, brief, debriefed or numbered! My life is my own!"

http://www.youtube.com/user/drpreppersc?feature=mhee

http://www.thereadystore.com/?aid=4c62e67b5e9dd

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast