Hammock
    HickoryNut Hammocks
    Tarp
    Winter Dream by UG
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Webbing & Whoopies
    Woo wee! This is the heartache of hammocks. The dreaded middle of the night awaking. The fight to think it will go away. The dismay of having to get up, get out, and go! Ugh
    As of late, I have made sure to go one last time before hitting the hammock. Drink a little less at night. And then, just get up and get it over when it happens. No point fighting it. Rest is better when it's over.
    I will say that using a top quilt instead of a sleeping bag helps to get comfortable again.

If anyone knows how to make it easier, please help!

See ya on the trail!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Dyneema
    Insulation
    warbonnet lynx
    Suspension
    dutch jewelery
    but the feeling when you come back into hammock and you say yourself its over....

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Just needed to make an addendum to any other comments I may have made on this topic (too many threads to hunt down). Now that I am hanging full time at home, I do find myself getting up about 50% of the time, compared to NEVER when sleeping in a bed. So it's definitely the hammock position and not anything to do with weather or hydration.

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Why do I urinate at least 2 times during the night in a Hammock

Well, although I generally pee more twice a night, I never go "in a hammock". I usually wait until I get outside!
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Just needed to make an addendum to any other comments I may have made on this topic (too many threads to hunt down). Now that I am hanging full time at home, I do find myself getting up about 50% of the time, compared to NEVER when sleeping in a bed. So it's definitely the hammock position and not anything to do with weather or hydration.
    I agree. Even with a "flat lay" in a gathered-end, there is still a slight bend in the waist- which I think causes a little extra pressure on the bladder. This makes the most sense to me; but I'd be curious to hear if folks who sleep primarily in bridge or 90° hammocks experience the same need to pee often- as we GE hangers do. That said, my body (back) is most comfortable when there is a slight bend in my waist. So for me, that is a plus of the GE.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    I agree. Even with a "flat lay" in a gathered-end, there is still a slight bend in the waist- which I think causes a little extra pressure on the bladder. This makes the most sense to me; but I'd be curious to hear if folks who sleep primarily in bridge or 90° hammocks experience the same need to pee often- as we GE hangers do. That said, my body (back) is most comfortable when there is a slight bend in my waist. So for me, that is a plus of the GE.
    I get up very rarely, despite my very rare abstinence from craft beers.
    Though not sure the bridge should take any credit.

Doesn't help you much in the basement- but in the woods I rarely get out of my bridge. Just roll on my side and pee. I can do it in a gathered end but not that easily. So on the urination subject I'd say the ability to relieve one's self with the least disturbance would be a win chalked up in the bridge column. Even easier than the Gatorade bottle in the mummy bag.

That said...
    if there is a case to be made on this account I'd say it has more to do with getting good sleep than anything.

I've mentioned the 'two sleeps' thing before regarding that common occurrence among folks who spend a good chunk of time in the woods moving with the sun.

So if and when you do wake up- you are likely to be a bit more refreshed rather than half asleep and simply aware of it as you switch positions. If your body wakes up and notices it... likely it will speak up and say since yer up might as well go urinate.

The thing to notice if you care to- why did you wake up?
    Was it because you had to pee... or do you have to pee because you're awake?
    I have a good bit of chronic pain and some sleep apenea... so a truly restful nights sleep is usually elusive. But when I do get even a few hours at a crack the difference is quite noticeable and I can darn near spring out of bed as opposed to having to roll myself out of the bridge to slam into the concrete floor below just to force myself to get moving to boil water for coffee.

So I suspect a decent part of the increased urination is that you are rested and awake when you do naturally stir. What might normally require a bedwetting level of need to awaken you from sleep in your bed... may simply mean that your body isn't struggling so hard to rest and can afford to wake you up.

Not 100% on the science but one could also consider that it's during deep sleep your body processes toxins and there may be some need to expel said toxins as well if you're sleeping more deeply.

Might also be worth noting-
    Everyone gets weaker bladders as they age.
    Many folks turn to hammocks as they age.
    Most folks who turn to hammocks turn to a gathered end.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Might also be worth noting-
    Everyone gets weaker bladders as they age.
    Many folks turn to hammocks as they age.
    Most folks who turn to hammocks turn to a gathered end.
    I definitely get up to pee once in the middle of the night at home sleeping in my bed. In a hammock, I generally get up to pee anywhere between 1-3 times a night. Could it be other factors initially waking me up- such as animal noises, debris falling on my tarp, etc...? absolutely- which may, in turn, afford me the ability to be aware of a sensation to pee. I think the reasons I wake up in the middle of the night varies, sometimes they're external factors, such as those just mentioned; while other times, they're internal- such as the sensation to pee.

I believe there many possible reasons why we tend to pee more while sleeping in a hammock; but the position of your body has to be a contributing factor, as far as I'm concerned.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Rick-

You may wet the bed once in a while- but if nothing else excess alcohol consumption does reduce wakefulness.
    Bourbon helps keep the total liquid volume lowest if seeking the ideal balance.

Bridges are definitely much better for throwing up than gathered ends- in my adjustable end models you can just belly sleep with your head sticking out.

I'm not a drunk- just a dedicated designer who wants to ensure my products function for every customer need.

Bill

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Quote Originally Posted by ChucksOrangeDream View Post
    Woo wee! This is the heartache of hammocks. The dreaded middle of the night awaking. The fight to think it will go away. The dismay of having to get up, get out, and go! Ugh
    As of late, I have made sure to go one last time before hitting the hammock. Drink a little less at night. And then, just get up and get it over when it happens. No point fighting it. Rest is better when it's over.
    I will say that using a top quilt instead of a sleeping bag helps to get comfortable again.

If anyone knows how to make it easier, please help!

See ya on the trail!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Carry a bottle. I finally realized that it's worth it,particularly if you are in a group or in an established campground as you will be less likely to disturb others.But the big payoff for me is that by not having to get up,put on shoes,hunt an out of the way place,walk back to the hammock,take off the shoes,get back in etc I avoid all that mental and physical exercise so I can remain somewhat drowsy and go right back to sleep.I have gotten up at least once per night since childhood and now that I get up twice my doctor wants to get "concerned" about it.I remain unconcerned for the time being btw.At age 67 it seems appropriate to get up at night.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Rick-

You may wet the bed once in a while- but if nothing else excess alcohol consumption does reduce wakefulness.
    Bourbon helps keep the total liquid volume lowest if seeking the ideal balance.

Bridges are definitely much better for throwing up than gathered ends- in my adjustable end models you can just belly sleep with your head sticking out.

I'm not a drunk- just a dedicated designer who wants to ensure my products function for every customer need.

Bill
    Gotta make sure your products are thoroughly tested!

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast