HH Explorer UL Zip - 2QZQ mod 4
    Tarp
    HH Hex - UGQ WD 12
    Insulation
    0* Potomac 20* HG
    Suspension
    atlas straps-rings

seam sealing a wd12

As always I waited to the last minute to get my gear in order before a big trip. I am camping next weekend and have not sealed my black friday WD12 yet. And it seems that i have timed my last minute procrastination perfectly with not only mother nature knocking down Paul's lifeline to the outside world but also their vacation...

Here are a few questions on the seam sealing process that is shown on UGQ's website.

Do I need to wait for the full cure time of 24hrs to apply baby powder? Or can it be applied after the 2hr basic cure? if the podwer is applied at the 2hr mark, would I then be able to stuff it in a bag, or should it really be setup for a full 24hrs?

In the video Paul specifically mentioned unscented baby power, I could not find unscented baby power, is normal Johnsons baby powder ok? Does the scenting interact or affect the sealant in some type of way that would prevent the sealer from adhering to the fabric?

I will be using the permatex 81730 with a foam brush as recommended. Thanks for any info you might have...
    "When one tugs at a single thing in nature, He finds it attached to the rest of the world"
    John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by 2001tj View Post
    Do I need to wait for the full cure time of 24hrs to apply baby powder? Or can it be applied after the 2hr basic cure? if the podwer is applied at the 2hr mark, would I then be able to stuff it in a bag, or should it really be setup for a full 24hrs?
    I would wait at least 12 hours to apply the powder and put it up. You could use a fan to help air circulation but I would still wait that long. Longer would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by 2001tj View Post
    In the video Paul specifically mentioned unscented baby power, I could not find unscented baby power, is normal Johnsons baby powder ok? Does the scenting interact or affect the sealant in some type of way that would prevent the sealer from adhering to the fabric?
    I don't believe scented would affect it but it does stink to me. I could not find unscented either and wound up using corn starch instead. Easy to find and worked great! Good luck!

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL Zip - 2QZQ mod 4
    Tarp
    HH Hex - UGQ WD 12
    Insulation
    0* Potomac 20* HG
    Suspension
    atlas straps-rings
    thanks for the corn starch tip, i will look into it.

i figured the longer curing time the better, i just have indoor limited space, ill just have to get creative...

also thanks to paul for the quick response via email, great customer service even while power lines are down...
    "When one tugs at a single thing in nature, He finds it attached to the rest of the world"
    John Muir

• + New Posts