DH - Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG 20
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

La Push, WA - Third Beach - Rain, Rain, Mist, Rain, Wind, Mist, Rain

In continuation of my 12-month challenge I decided I had enough of the cold Minnesota weather and wanted to head to the beach to camp. So I booked a ticket to Washington and made my way to the coast. I traded 10ºF and slight flurries for mid 30ºs and constant Rain. I don’t think I made the right decision. Give me a dry -10º over a wet 30º any day of the week.

Here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-iYIaI3Rvg

I convinced my brother and his wife this would be a nice getaway for the weekend, and they fell for it! I struggled initially to slim down my gear for the flight, I always worry when flying with my pack that something may get ripped or broken. Airports are not the most gentle with gear.

One thing I brought with I wish I left in Minnesota was a head cold that effected me pretty badly in the constant rain. So our two-night excursion was reduced to one. Better to be safe than constantly battling my temperature miles from the car. The one night we did spend out there was a great experience.

We drove from Seattle to La Push Washington and parked at the Third Beach Trailhead, from there we hiked in around 2 miles until the oncoming storm caused us to hunker down. We decided rather than hike 2 more miles we would take the Third Beach campsite rather than Scott’s Creek we originally had planned. All you need is a permit and you can camp at any site, which benefited us since the storm came in so fast. We did see a camper pass us as we were setting up though. I can’t imagine climbing the muddy rope ladders in the cold rain. IMG_4457.jpg

The constant mist and rain weighed down our gear and packs. We all had dry clothes we switched in and out of. It was a really good lesson in gear management. Drying out clothes was difficult due to the cold and constant moisture in the air.
    IMG_4525-2.jpg

The Third Beach campsite had a spot that looked like it was made for a hammock and plenty of room for a tent too. We ended up hanging an additional Eno Tarp my brother purchased to give us a little kitchen area and wind break. One benefit of the Cuben Fiber tarp is after 12+ hours of rain and mist the tarp still weighs about the same. I could not say the same for the eno. Good thing I didn’t have to carry it. IMG_1160.jpgIMG_1155.jpg

The next day we packed up and made out way out. As the tide was coming in we were rushing to beat it before it cut off our trail. We did not want to wait an additional 3 hours for the tide to go out just to get back to the car. I ended up taking a wave up to the waist and walking out a little soaked. My pants ended up being dry by the time I made it to the car.

From there we did a few day hikes around the coast and then some more over by Mt. Rainer in the Snoqualmie region. Hoh Rainforest, Rattlesnake Ridge, and Wallace Falls.IMG_1169.jpgIMG_4570.jpgIMG_4675.jpg

It was a good trip and reminded me of how much a difference being wet and cold effects your body. At the end of the day I was able to enjoy a Katsu Burger so it was all good. IMG_1196.jpg

Hammock
    WB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc10°/Bur10°
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images
    awesome trip. So cool that you made that happen. Sorry to hear you were sick. I have lived here 35 yrs and have yet to camp on the beach/coast. I really want to hang there but have always been a bit scared off by the lack of trees on the beach to hang from. Would hate to have to go to ground in the sand without a tent!

How many days were you here? I mean the coast, Hoh, rattlesnake and wallace falls are pretty far apart. Assuming you spent a few days in the PNW? Hope you plan on coming back despite the rain! Summer/late summer is the best time for solid weather around here. You definitely picked a rough time to brave the elements!
    “The word hammockable (Meaning: two trees that are the perfect distance apart between which a hammock can be hung) is not in the dictionary, but it should be.”

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    MacCat standard
    Insulation
    Undergound Quilt
    Suspension
    Arrowhead whoopies
    30's and rain just plain sucks, then add the wind and sand you get on the beach, that makes for a hard trip, but it sounds like you made it work. What did your brother and his wife think?

Thanks for sharing and welcome to the Pacific Northwest. I live in Portland and it seems like whenever I get out backpacking it's in the 30s and raining. Usually I still manage to enjoy it but with a head cold...not sure id like that.
    Definitely looks like a beautiful trip though.

Hammock
    DH - Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG 20
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I really want to hang there but have always been a bit scared off by the lack of trees on the beach to hang from. . . . .How many days were you here?
    This was my initial concern, I didn't want to have to go to ground. I had been to that beach last year in November to scout it out and I knew of one spot at Scott's Creek I could camp between trees. Finding the spot at the Third Beach site was nice though. I was there for about 5 days. First two were spent West of Seattle and the last 3 were spent East of Seattle. I plan on going back(late summer) and camping somewhere around Mt. Rainer next or near Portland. I would enjoy suggestions if you have any for good hammock spots or hikes.

30's and rain just plain sucks, then add the wind and sand you get on the beach, that makes for a hard trip, but it sounds like you made it work. What did your brother and his wife think?
    My brother absolutely loves camping by the ocean, he would have stayed there for a week regardless of the weather. His wife, not so much. She said it best; its cold, rainy, and windy, that is not the best combination. They both are really tough campers though, they are one of the only people I could have done a trip like this and had them enjoy it.

Thanks for sharing and welcome to the Pacific Northwest. I live in Portland and it seems like whenever I get out backpacking it's in the 30s and raining. Usually I still manage to enjoy it but with a head cold...not sure id like that.
    Definitely looks like a beautiful trip though.
    Thank you, The head cold zapped my energy for sure, it shows in the video. That was my first time camping in the Pacific Northwest and I liked it. If you have any good camping/hiking recommendations around Portland I would enjoy hearing about them. My brother recently moved to Seattle so we are trying to explore where there is to camp around the area.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Looks like there was plenty of "second degree fun" on offer. Good job making the most out of an uncomfortable situation. The part where y'all got caught by the tide coming in was pretty funny haha. Some really beautiful scenery! That's the part that will stick with you. Thanks for sharing!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WarbonnetMamaJamba
    Insulation
    Thermarest or CCF
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    You should've come out to AZ instead!

Hammock
    WBBB, SLD TL
    Tarp
    HG, WB, SLD
    Insulation
    Leighlo, HG
    Suspension
    dutch, slitline
    If you are in Portland, you've got to check out some nice loops in the Columbia River Gorge Area. Eagle Creek is an amazing trail. I've hammocked around Mt. Hood on the Timberline Trail, very nice. You'll just need to plan on glacier runoff crossings. The trail around Mt. St. Helens is nice, the Loowit Trail. 24 miles of fun.

Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven 11
    Insulation
    Yeti/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    nice report, you picked a rainy year to come to Washington we have had a wetter than normal winter but the coast is a whole different animal it can rain there at anytime. Jim

Hammock
    DH - Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG 20
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    The part where y'all got caught by the tide coming in was pretty funny haha.
    That was a rookie mistake on my part, thought I could out run that wave.

You should've come out to AZ instead!
    I agree! I have hiked around Usery Mountain but it seems harder to find good hanging trees. I visit family every other year near Phoenix. Never camped though. Any good recommendations for hikes or parks? Or do you hang from the pavilions on the campsite? That I have seen.

you've got to check out some nice loops in the Columbia River Gorge Area. Eagle Creek is an amazing trail. I've hammocked around Mt. Hood on the Timberline Trail, very nice. You'll just need to plan on glacier runoff crossings. The trail around Mt. St. Helens is nice, the Loowit Trail. 24 miles of fun.
    Thank you for the recommendations, looking into these there are some amazing views! Adding these to the list of potentials for late summer.

nice report, you picked a rainy year to come to Washington we have had a wetter than normal winter but the coast is a whole different animal it can rain there at anytime. Jim
    Thank you, In talking with the Park Ranger he said they normally don't have snow on the ground this time of year in the area. The day we hiked in though, there was a huge hail storm the night before. We lucked out somewhat I guess.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast